Motorweek- Pat Goss & Spark Plug Removal Technique Different from TSB- Much Different

beechkid

Holding a spark plug from a Ford 5.4 (late model), he stated his shop uses the following procedure:

1. Remove COPS

2. Loosen the spark plugs 1/8 of a turn max

3. Reinstall COPS

4. Start engine and shut off immediately

5. Remove COPS & plugs

His theory.....

by loosening the plugs then firing the engine, this burns the carbon off the end of the plugs that can get on the threads and of course cause the broken plug.

Ok, Since I can't picture in my mind how this would work, unless by loosening the plugs a tad allows the "fire" to travel up, burning off the carbon.

Ok techs- your thoughts? has anybody heard of this?

Holding a spark plug from a Ford 5.4 (late model), he stated his shop uses the following procedure:

1. Remove COPS

3. Reinstall COPS

5. Remove COPS & plugs

His theory.....

by loosening the plugs then firing the engine, this burns the carbon off the end of the plugs that can get on the threads and of course cause the broken plug.

Ok, Since I can't picture in my mind how this would work, unless by loosening the plugs a tad allows the "fire" to travel up, burning off the carbon.

He's blowing smoke, u gotta show me a ford tech broke 7 of 8 on mine at 50K using the TSB :ohsnap:

1. Remove COPS

3. Reinstall COPS

5. Remove COPS & plugs

His theory.....

Actually he said it loosens the buildup and firing the engine blows it out the exhaust.

ddddddddd

1. Remove COPS

3. Reinstall COPS

5. Remove COPS & plugs

His theory.....

Might help but actually loosening the plug will rattle it up and down in the bore a bit, probably doing more good than any 'burning' the carbon would. A 3/8" impact wrench does a pretty good job too, better than the TSB.