Multi-Contour Seats on 2011 Explorer (and a few other small things)

alpha1847

I was really surprised when this was not announced as a feature, seeing as it's been available on the Taurus for 2 years. Ford had previously declared that the Taurus and Explorer were going to be positioned as their premium vehicles. This is a very unique feature for Ford to push. Only a few uber-premium brands offer such a feature (like BMW on the X5).

While I'm rolling, there were a few other items I would have really liked to have seen (yeah, I know I'm getting greedy on a few, but I hate sacrificing things):

1. AWD offered with the 2.0 Ecoboost

2. The PowerShift dual-clutch transmission with the 2.0 Ecoboost

3. Flex-fuel capability in both engines

4. The auto start/stop system from Mazda with the 2.0 Ecoboost (I believe this spark-based system requires direct injection, so the V6 would be out for now)

5. The Haldex torque vectoring real differential with the AWD system (that they've used in Volvo products) - even if it doesn't add that much in terms of handling or off-road capability, I think it's perceived to have a big influence in both those areas. Ford doesn't want this to come across as too car-based. This would have helped.

6. Adaptive (articulating) HID headlamps (curiously, I saw Ford literature for the 2011 Explorer a few months ago that promoted this - not sure what happened)

7. Auto high-beam control (Jeep has had this on the Grand Cherokee since 2005)

8. "Tivo-like" functionality with Sync that allows you to pause, FF, Rewind, record terrestrial and satellite radio (like GM already offers)

9. Auto Up/Down on ALL FOUR windows (seriously, why is this withheld these days?)

10. The automatic parallel parking system (seriously, this is already on the Escape and not on their flagship SUV?)

11. Auto-dimming, Auto-reverse tilt-down and auto-folding on both exterior rearview mirrors