Get rid of the SecuriCode keypad

alpha1847

I can see how it would be more useful for me on our new Edge if i could get the number memorized. :doh:

If it is the stick-on type, it comes with one fixed code and one code that you can set to whatever you like. (Not sure if the built-in type is the same way.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SecuriCode Keypad is one of those things that I wish all cars had. In fact on cars brands that do not have it, I have even gone to the trouble of an aftermarket add-on for the feature.

If you are very active in any type of outdoor sports, camping, hunting, fishing, boating, bad storms, floods, etc it is a “life saver” and is used “all the time” under those conditions. Just toss your keys in the car/truck – “go do whatever” (like go swimming).

Come back to your car/truck; enter your personal private number, and “Wha-La” you did not waste time trying to call On Star (or some other do-nut, if you even have a cell phone with you?) in a Hurricane (or other event) for a feeble response.

I go boating 2-4 times a week. Only the “peeps” with Ford’s “do not lose their keys in the River”. Poor guys with Chevy’s Dodge’s and Toyota’s always say, man I wish my truck had that when they lose their keys again! And they lose their keys several times a year.

During bad weather, I use it all the time; particularly if doing a lot of “loading” and “unloading”. It’s a real time saver.

I don't know why this one thing drives me crazy, but I'd love to know whether it was market research, an engineering decision or pure laziness that resulted in that outdated strip of plastic, that looks like it was super-glued onto the body, on the redesigned Fusion/MKZ and Edge/MKX. Both these redesigns are otherwise clean and well done. This keypad just looks so out of place and I have never met anyone who gets any use out of it. Certainly not on the Edge/MKX which has the proximity entry anyway. It's not a standard feature on the Fusion, so they must have a way to cover that hole!

It's about time to let that one go, Ford.

I LOVE the SecuriCode key pad!!

I had it on my 02 F-150. Back then I road raced my Yamaha R6. I can't count the times I locked my keys in the cab due to the nervousness leading up to a race. I ordered it in my 04 F-250 And in my wife's 09 Escape.

Sometimes when I'm in my garge without the house keys I use it instead of going into the house.

Although I do not like the keypads installed in the window frame with the clear plastic over them.

Seriously? That is luck, considering there are, what, 10k combinations? Of course, with only 5 keys, it's really only 3125 different KEY combinations.

Technically, it is a different "code", but the button sequence is the same. I found out by accident when I put the Expy code into my truck and the doors unlocked.

Seriously? That is luck, considering there are, what, 10k combinations? Of course, with only 5 keys, it's really only 3125 different KEY combinations.

I'm kinda negative on the appearance side but my real concern is the limited number of key combinations. We'll see how I get along with this feature once my new Edge arrives.

So you got one of the 3125 different key combos then, on both vehciles. :)

Why wouldn't it be 44,445 combinations? If you forget the numbers and assign 5 buttons 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 you can create any number between 00000 and 44444. Unless there is some restriction on 5 digit combinations.

Edited by akirby

Why wouldn't it be 44,445 combinations? If you forget the numbers and assign 5 buttons 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 you can create any number between 00000 and 44444. Unless there is some restriction on 5 digit combinations.

With only 5 choices per digit and 5 digits the total number of combinations is 5 to the power of 5 (5*5*5*5*5) or 3125.

But doing that, you can't use 5-9, so you really can't have EVERYTHING from 00000 to 44444.

With only 5 choices per digit and 5 digits the total number of combinations is 5 to the power of 5 (5*5*5*5*5) or 3125.

:yup: Zactly!

Edited by fordmantpw

I go boating 2-4 times a week. Only the “peeps” with Ford’s “do not lose their keys in the River”. Poor guys with Chevy’s Dodge’s and Toyota’s always say, man I wish my truck had that when they lose their keys again! And they lose their keys several times a year.

I ordered the keypad on my new truck specifically for this reason. But I often head out to places 3 or 4 hours from home (and the nearest locksmith), so I started to think, what if my battery goes dead while I'm boating or camping? Is there any way to get the hood open for a jump without getting inside first? I'm assuming no, so I guess the next question is, which window is cheapest to replace?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the keypad on my new truck specifically for this reason. But I often head out to places 3 or 4 hours from home (and the nearest locksmith), so I started to think, what if my battery goes dead while I'm boating or camping? Is there any way to get the hood open for a jump without getting inside first? I'm assuming no, so I guess the next question is, which window is cheapest to replace?

Roadside assistance tow truck drivers can "slim jim" the door open on most vehicles.

Also, batteries too weak to start the car may have enough to operate low power accessories like the power door locks.

The smallest window is usually the least expensive to replace. But for a Ford specifically, you can check prices on http://www.fordparts.com .

Edited by tjl

SecuriCode option on my F-150 about $75, one call to Pop-A-Lock $60, what a value. This is one of my favorite features and I use it often when I don't want to bulk up pockets with a set of keys. Other reasons I love it: A spare ignition and house key in the center console has saved me too many times to count. Can loan the truck to girlfriend, buddies, and family without having to meet them with my keys as I have a company truck also. When I go fishing, spare ignition key stays locked in the truck. Should the weather turn foul or I get stranded on the other side of the lake, I can likely call someone(s) to pick up truck and boat trailer and drive to a closer boat launch. In a Chevy, the stupid keys would be in my pocket and the truck and trailer would be stuck at the wrong launch. When I go hunting, I love the fact that I can never lock myself out of the truck. Accidentally locking the keys and phone inside the truck out in the woods would truly suck. I hope Ford keeps this feature for a long time. BTW several of my Chevy and Dodge driving friends have repeatedly stated that they wish their trucks had a similar feature.

SecuriCode option on my F-150 about $75, one call to Pop-A-Lock $60, what a value. This is one of my favorite features and I use it often when I don't want to bulk up pockets with a set of keys. Other reasons I love it: A spare ignition and house key in the center console has saved me too many times to count. Can loan the truck to girlfriend, buddies, and family without having to meet them with my keys as I have a company truck also. When I go fishing, spare ignition key stays locked in the truck. Should the weather turn foul or I get stranded on the other side of the lake, I can likely call someone(s) to pick up truck and boat trailer and drive to a closer boat launch. In a Chevy, the stupid keys would be in my pocket and the truck and trailer would be stuck at the wrong launch. When I go hunting, I love the fact that I can never lock myself out of the truck. Accidentally locking the keys and phone inside the truck out in the woods would truly suck. I hope Ford keeps this feature for a long time. BTW several of my Chevy and Dodge driving friends have repeatedly stated that they wish their trucks had a similar feature.

So all someone needs to do is pop out your lock or bust your window and they have the keys to your house and truck probably have the addy. on your registration.

Now they have your house key and your truck to clean you out.

Another great reason to have it...never another key locked in your car!

Other uses include activities where you could lose your keys or just plain don't want them with you (swimming, boating, biking, hiking, etc.), just lock them in the car and you don't have to worry about it. Hands full and can't get in your pocket to get the keys? Just punch the buttons with a free finger!

Though I like the looks of the new style keypad better, I think the old style is easier to use.

Oh yeah...hold down 7/8 & 9/0 at the same time, it will lock all the doors (the new style you have to hold for 3 seconds). When unlocking the doors, after entering your combination, 3/4 will unlock the other doors, 5/6 will pop the trunk (if equipped).

would that work for the rear of a TaurusX?

I don't know why this one thing drives me crazy, but I'd love to know whether it was market research, an engineering decision or pure laziness that resulted in that outdated strip of plastic, that looks like it was super-glued onto the body, on the redesigned Fusion/MKZ and Edge/MKX. Both these redesigns are otherwise clean and well done. This keypad just looks so out of place and I have never met anyone who gets any use out of it. Certainly not on the Edge/MKX which has the proximity entry anyway. It's not a standard feature on the Fusion, so they must have a way to cover that hole!

It's about time to let that one go, Ford.

It is one of my favorite features of the truck!