Get rid of the SecuriCode keypad

alpha1847

I don't know why this one thing drives me crazy, but I'd love to know whether it was market research, an engineering decision or pure laziness that resulted in that outdated strip of plastic, that looks like it was super-glued onto the body, on the redesigned Fusion/MKZ and Edge/MKX. Both these redesigns are otherwise clean and well done. This keypad just looks so out of place and I have never met anyone who gets any use out of it. Certainly not on the Edge/MKX which has the proximity entry anyway. It's not a standard feature on the Fusion, so they must have a way to cover that hole!

It's about time to let that one go, Ford.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree! The keypad is great! I use mine regularly.

Now, I do agree that it needs to look nicer like on the Flex and new Taurus/MKS. The one in my F150 is integrated into the door handle and is not as noticable, but the stick-on ones do need to be upgraded. I'm sure they will in the next redesign (not MCE as the new keypad requires new door skins I believe).

I disagree! The keypad is great! I use mine regularly.

Now, I do agree that it needs to look nicer like on the Flex and new Taurus/MKS. The one in my F150 is integrated into the door handle and is not as noticable, but the stick-on ones do need to be upgraded. I'm sure they will in the next redesign (not MCE as the new keypad requires new door skins I believe).

Bingo. It requires new doors and that's not in the budget for the MCE.

It's a great feature. People who don't think so just haven't bothered to use it.

I must admit, this feature has always baffled me. It's much quicker to push the button on the key fob in your hand approaching the car, especially in bad weather. Now with the intelligent key (which I'm also used to from my FX35), you just touch the inside of the door handle while you open the door. Fast, effective and simple. The only situation where I could see the keypad being useful is if I'm at work and forgot something in the car, I would not need to get my keys to get inside the car. Other than that, the intelligent key makes it redundant.

At first I didn't think I'd like the keypad on the door of my Edge either. But after a week or so, I don't even notice that it is there. I haven't used it yet, but I probably will. It'll come in handy when you run out to your car to grab something and don't have your keys nearby. Besides, as others have mentioned, the future redesigns will likely all hide it in the B-pillar as is done on the Taurus/MKS.

Another great reason to have it...never another key locked in your car!

Other uses include activities where you could lose your keys or just plain don't want them with you (swimming, boating, biking, hiking, etc.), just lock them in the car and you don't have to worry about it. Hands full and can't get in your pocket to get the keys? Just punch the buttons with a free finger!

Though I like the looks of the new style keypad better, I think the old style is easier to use.

Oh yeah...hold down 7/8 & 9/0 at the same time, it will lock all the doors (the new style you have to hold for 3 seconds). When unlocking the doors, after entering your combination, 3/4 will unlock the other doors, 5/6 will pop the trunk (if equipped).

akirby already mentioned - the keypad wasn't integrated in the b-pillar because that required a redesign of the doors, which obviously didn't happen on the Fusion/MKZ or the Edge/MKX.

fortmanptw also mentioned several times you may have use for it. I use my keypad all the time, for example when I coach, I'm able to leave keys, wallet, phone in the car while coaching (when I don't have pockets). The beach is another good example. I do wish that pushing/holding #5/6 would open/close the power liftgate, though.

I must admit, this feature has always baffled me. It's much quicker to push the button on the key fob in your hand approaching the car, especially in bad weather. Now with the intelligent key (which I'm also used to from my FX35), you just touch the inside of the door handle while you open the door. Fast, effective and simple. The only situation where I could see the keypad being useful is if I'm at work and forgot something in the car, I would not need to get my keys to get inside the car. Other than that, the intelligent key makes it redundant.

When I go bike riding, hiking canoe/boating, or anytime I'm away from my house, I lock my keys in the car or truck. I also like the fact that I don't have to look for the keys anytime I want something in the car/truck.

It is one feature that I use daily.

Edited by mettech

I probably should have just focused on the redesigned models with the intelligent access key. So, just speaking to the Edge/MKXs that have this, it's a mostly redundant feature. There aren't too many scenarios where you'd need to get into your car and not have the transponder in or around you. Even if you wanted to get into your car, you can't go anywhere without the key. I know there will be countless fringe cases, but I don't think it's worth the unsightly nature of it's implementation on the Edge.

I probably should have just focused on the redesigned models with the intelligent access key. So, just speaking to the Edge/MKXs that have this, it's a mostly redundant feature. There aren't too many scenarios where you'd need to get into your car and not have the transponder in or around you. Even if you wanted to get into your car, you can't go anywhere without the key. I know there will be countless fringe cases, but I don't think it's worth the unsightly nature of it's implementation on the Edge.

It's so unsightly that I don't even notice it anymore. :rolleyes:

When would I need to get into my car and not have my key on me? Ohhhhh just about anytime I'm at home after I get out of work. Want to get my iPod out of my car? No need to get my key. Just punch in the code. There are plenty of other scenarios that have been outlined already.

Does it look terrific on the Edge/MKX? Not really. Is it an unbearable eyesore that makes me want to rip it off with a prybar? Not really.

It allows OTHERS to get into the car (kids, e.g.) without requiring keys. You can leave something in the car for someone else to pick up and just give them the code - you don't even have to be there. YOU can use it to get into a locked vehicle when you don't have the fob (working in the yard, e.g.).

Having IA isn't really any different from having the IKT and pushing the unlock button. There are still plenty of times where you don't want to give someone else the key or carry it with you.

Not sure if the Edge/MKX work the same way as the MKS but you can lock the fob inside the vehicle and it renders it inoperative until you open the door with the keypad. This lets you lock the fob in the vehicle but prevents someone from smashing the window and driving off.

Trust those of us who have been using keypads for years - they're a great feature and once you start using it you'll probably agree.

I don't know why this one thing drives me crazy, but I'd love to know whether it was market research, an engineering decision or pure laziness that resulted in that outdated strip of plastic, that looks like it was super-glued onto the body, on the redesigned Fusion/MKZ and Edge/MKX.

In at least some Ford models, the keypad is an accessory option that is just glued on to any flat surface of the vehicle (it is just another remote otherwise).

Seems like it makes the most sense that way -- that way people who have no use for it don't have to have it, while those who do find it useful (examples given in previous replies) can get it.

If it is standard equipment, it does make more sense to have it better integrated into the car.

In at least some Ford models, the keypad is an accessory option that is just glued on to any flat surface of the vehicle (it is just another remote otherwise).

Seems like it makes the most sense that way -- that way people who have no use for it don't have to have it, while those who do find it useful (examples given in previous replies) can get it.

If it is standard equipment, it does make more sense to have it better integrated into the car.

Before the hidden led B pillar version, Ford's SUVs had the buttons either on the black B pillar so they blended in or they were built into the rubber window surround on the bottom of the window on the driver's side. They work much better there than below the door handle. But again those both require new doors.

When I go bike riding, hiking canoe/boating, or anytime I'm away from my house, I lock my keys in the car or truck. I also like the fact that I don't have to look for the keys anytime I want something in the car/truck.

It is one feature that I use daily.

Not sure that's a good idea for models that have the intelligent key. If you leave that in your car, anyone would be able to open it......

Not sure that's a good idea for models that have the intelligent key. If you leave that in your car, anyone would be able to open it......

you can lock the fob inside the vehicle and it renders it inoperative until you open the door with the keypad. This lets you lock the fob in the vehicle but prevents someone from smashing the window and driving off.

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't gotten around to putting the snow brush in the Flex yet. Over the weekend, while shoveling, I found a spare one in the garage and put it in the Flex. I did not have my keys on me, but was able to unlock it with the keypad. It's come in handy like that multiple times.

• 4 weeks later...