Mustang LX in the works?

ford4v429

heard something about a stripper LX GT possibly coming...if so, AWESOME!

hoping to hear they can offer a very basic V8 mustang back in the 22~25k range...that would be cool. The new GT is a outstanding car(rear bumper excluded- sorry) but 90% of what Ive seen out there are going in the mid-upper 30's and thats a lot of dough for a (usually extra) 'fun car'...thats a hefty payment. if they can sell a typical family sedan for under 20, surely the Mustang with reduced content could get back down in that range, to get the sales VOLUME back up.

I recall the LX's back in the 80's being the 'dream car' of many young just out of highschool working guys and gals- myself included... a affordable V8 mustang, I *almost* bought one except somebody said she wanted a camaro...I shoulda got the mustang.

heard something about a stripper LX GT possibly coming...if so, AWESOME!

hoping to hear they can offer a very basic V8 mustang back in the 22~25k range...that would be cool.

I really doubt this is going to happen...Ford is about making profits on their cars, not catering to goodwill. There is a good reason why the Mustang went from 30K loaded in 2006 or so to being a 40K+ car loaded in 2011...PROFIT! People are hanging on to their cars longer (partly because they run so well) and Ford isn't going to make $$$ on a Cheap V8 Mustang. The last "cheap" V8 Mustang was some package back in the mid 1990s that had manual locks etc...you can't even get that on a 2005+ Mustang?

Does anyone know if this Mustang will get an interior upgrade?

Why? It got one back in 2010...it fixed most of the issues from the earlier model.

The base V6 Mustang puts out more HP than the old V8 302L and costs about $25k. what more do you expect?

It's more like $22K....it is a bargain. Even the old 4.0 V6 (240 HP) put out more HP than the old 5.0 (225 HP). The 3.7 V6 (302 HP) trumps the 4.6 V8 (300 HP) .

I'd like to see it simply for the weight advantages. A Mustang with the GT drive train, suspension, brakes, tires, and wheels with manual windows, locks, seats, reduced sound deadening, and a basic stereo (single CD with AUX port) with four speakers would make a great weekend performance car. Even if it cost right around a base GT, it would still be ideal. I bet Ford could shave 100lb off the car without any substantial chassis mods.

Ford doesn't need to introduce a "stripper" Mustang GT model with the LX model designation as it already exists with the base GT (Rapid Spec #300A) package. The last thing that dealers need is another Mustang version as we already have more than enough versions to cover the Market!

Yep.

Also, a "stripper" version with a V8 and "at or under $20K" has a bunch less money in it for Ford. Rant and rail against greed being behind this decision if you must, but Ford has no business incentive to sell such a car. Dearborn's dumb making decisions with no business case behind them.

Just a wild guess but maybe Ford wants to put the non-di/tivc 365 horse 5.0 in the "LX" for around 26K therefore it won't step on the GT/Boss toes without pricing out v-8 buyers.

On that note hope it is true so Dodge and Chevy would put out low priced v-8 versions of the Challenger and Camaro.

Just a wild guess but maybe Ford wants to put the non-di/tivc 365 horse 5.0 in the "LX" for around 26K therefore it won't step on the GT/Boss toes without pricing out v-8 buyers.

On that note hope it is true so Dodge and Chevy would put out low priced v-8 versions of the Challenger and Camaro.

only thing better than ponycar wars is more affordable ponycar wars :)

most folks buying a new must(ang might want all the creature comforts, and most of the folks designing the packages probably think 30k is not too much at all...but I think theres still a lot more folks on tighter budgets that still dream of their own new V8 mustang. I recall back in the mid- 80's getting into discussions with guys around my age of how the 5.0 LX was affordable and still had a lot of the 'necessary' Mustang equipment under the hood. long as they arent giving them away, all sales are good- volume going to ford dont go elsewhere...a stripper V8 mustang or a equipped toyota...hmm...I know what line I'd be in if the payments were the same.

Both my GTs are stripper 'deluxe' models- many folks thought I shoulda got the big stereo, the mycolor dash, the automatic, blah, blah, blah- but to me the basic GT has all the sound/feel/whatever a mustang should, wouldnt have wanted anything else...plus Ive got enough bills the 'premium' price I just couldnt justify. My wife loves her V6/auto/leather/07 pony, and its a great car- just not for me, I coulda had a V8 for the same money, so I did...had the price been even a little lower, perhaps the arguement over the first one wouldnt have drug out for a full year :)

hoping to hear they can offer a very basic V8 mustang back in the 22~25k range...that would be cool.

Yes, you can get this in 2013 model year, it will be called a used 2011 mustang. Seriously, there are so many low mile used mustangs on the market, if price is an issue, just look for something two or three years old. At least here in the Midwest, so many poeple buy pony cars only to sell them after them after two or three winters.

Yes, you can get this in 2013 model year, it will be called a used 2011 mustang. Seriously, there are so many low mile used mustangs on the market, if price is an issue, just look for something two or three years old. At least here in the Midwest, so many poeple buy pony cars only to sell them after them after two or three winters.

or you could buy a (maybe even two?) two 65-70 model that will go up in value...but neither option helps Ford. I still think a low budget new V8 mustang would lure in a lot of folks sitting on the fence about a new car. those that want more in the car will still buy upscale packages, shouldnt hurt sales there, but I think theres a market there that might be swayed to Ford if they can get a good looking American car for the same price as a ugly/quality import...

used cars dont typically get the interest rates, fading warranty can drive up costs before its paid off, etc...anf Ford like every other manufacturer would probably love to expand their customer base/keep sales from competing brands.

Where would Ford/Mustang be if Hyundai put a 69 fastback looking body on one of their 10k cars, and sold it for 15? Someday some Chinese firm will do it, they copy everything else...they just dont recognize some automotive styling as iconic - yet. Quality wise the imports-even the cheep ones- is getting better, lucky for us, theyre all still ugly.

Ford doesn't need to introduce a "stripper" Mustang GT model with the LX model designation as it already exists with the base GT (Rapid Spec #300A) package. The last thing that dealers need is another Mustang version as we already have more than enough versions to cover the Market!

+1

My thoughts exactly! :yup:

It's more like $22K....it is a bargain. Even the old 4.0 V6 (240 HP) put out more HP than the old 5.0 (225 HP). The 3.7 V6 (302 HP) trumps the 4.6 V8 (300 HP) .

Your numbers are off.

4.0L V6 - 210 HP (torque was 240 LBFT)

3.7L V6 - 305 HP

4.6L V8 - 315 HP (a bit more in Bullitt and NA Shelby models)

A 325HP 4.6L V8 would be a good engine for an LX or, perhaps the Pony Package, as it has slighty more HP than the 3.7L V6, 40+ more LBFT of torque, and phenominal sound from its pipes.

Where would Ford/Mustang be if Hyundai put a 69 fastback looking body on one of their 10k cars, and sold it for 15? Someday some Chinese firm will do it, they copy everything else...they just dont recognize some automotive styling as iconic - yet. Quality wise the imports-even the cheep ones- is getting better, lucky for us, theyre all still ugly.

Where would Ford be? Well, not very many people will buy a $35,000 Mustang GT or a $50,000 Shelby if you're going to sell a GT for $20G. You're not buying the cow and getting the milk for free.

Yeah, sure, maybe the Chinese will try to knock off a Mustang ... but seriously, they're not exactly burning up the V8 market. It would be like Ford giving away the F150 for $20G. Just silly.

Your numbers are off.

4.0L V6 - 210 HP (torque was 240 LBFT)

3.7L V6 - 305 HP

4.6L V8 - 315 HP (a bit more in Bullitt and NA Shelby models)

A 325HP 4.6L V8 would be a good engine for an LX or, perhaps the Pony Package, as it has slighty more HP than the 3.7L V6, 40+ more LBFT of torque, and phenominal sound from its pipes.

My 05 Mustang GT did have 300 HP. You were right about the others......I knew that! LOL

I really don't see the point of a detuned V8. There's the V6 that fills that bill. There were 390 2Vs back in 67/68......I never got that either. They were lamer tamer versions that did nothing for it's image.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep dreaming, it is not 1991. Back then, when the last Fox Mustangs were "cheap", they didn't sell as well as the SN95 and current era. Only in minds of hot rodders, who ned up buying used anyway, should there be strippo V8 model. Ford is a business, not an 'arts and entertainment company'.

And "LX GT" is an oxymoron. :ohsnap:

• 1 month later...