Ten of your favorite "Ford" cars

Guest Sixcav

Guest Sixcav

Alright, richard brought us the ten favorite non-ford cars. Now I say we post the ten favorite Ford products. They can be Ford, Lincoln or Mercury, but no Jags, volvos, land rovers, mazdas or any of the others. Here goes mine.

1. 2005/06 Mustang GT (figured since that's what I drive)

2. Linclon LS (all years)

3. 1957 Thunderbird

4. 1967 Mustang GT fastback

5. 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

6. 1987 - 91 Mustang GT

7. Mercury Milan

8. European Ford Focus (I want this car!!!!!)

9. Australian Ford Falcon (This one too!!!)

10. The Ford GT (of course)

1961 - 1969 Lincoln Continental

1977 - 1979 Lincoln Continental

Ford Country Squire (all years)

1969 Mustang Mach I

1970 Torino Cobra

1975 - 1978 LTD Landau

1977 - 1979 Thunderbird

2005 - current Mustang GT

2000 - current Focus Station Wagon

1998 - current Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis

I'll take my list one step further, and list ten of my favorite Ford cars I've owned:

1994 Ford F-150 Supercab XLT 5.8L (my first fullsizer)

1977 Ford Maverick 2 door. (Loved that car, the "other" Mustang)

1978 Ford Mustang II Cobra

1969 Ford Mustang Grande

1981 Ford Mustang (6 banger)

1987 Ford Mustang GT

1988 Ford Mustang Sedan 5.0L

1992 Ford Ranger Supercab (2.3L)

1991 Ford Probe

1940 Ford Coupe (Suh-weet!)

1. 1969 Boss 429-best looking car then, now, and forever, IMO.

2. '96-'98 Mustang Cobras-my favorite latemodel

3. '56 F-100, slammed, tubbed, and big-blocked

4. '56 Fairlane Tudor or Victoria in any color, so long as its' black.

5. 1969 Torino Cobra

6. 1964 Falcon Sprint, with a nice, built-to-the-hilt Windsor.

7. '57 T-Bird

8. '89-'93 T-Bird Supercoupe or 5.0L

9. '01 Cobra

10. GT-40 Mk.III(?) original Le Mans winner

Guest Sixcav

Can we count the original AC Cobra as a purely Ford product. Oh what the hell. It's a Ford. I would have put it on my list but thought someone might split hairs with me about that one. I love the old AC Cobras.

Here we go...

1. 1971 Mustang Mach 1 (429 4 Speed)

2. "" BOSS 351 4 speed

3. 1970-71 Torino Cobra

4. 1970-71 Mercury Marauder X100 (I miss mine)

5. Ford RS200 EVO

6. Ford GT

7. Ford Sierra Cosworth

8. 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC

9. 1968 Galaxie 500 7 Liter Convertible

10. 1972 Ford Ranchero

This list subject ot hourly change.

Guest Sixcav

I remember that one Edstock. Proof that Ford has some truely great talent working for them. Unfortunately somewhere between the concept and production somebody seriously screws things up.

Hard to pick only 10. In no order;

1970 Cougar XR-7 Convertible, IMHO, the best looking rag top ever made (I miss mine)

1969 Mercury Cyclone CJ

1972-73 Mercury Montego GT

1961 Galaxie hardtop

1962 Galaxie Sunliner

1969-70 XL

1971 Boss 351

1964 Thunderbolt

1969 Boss 429, IMHO best looking Mustang ever

1979 Ranchero GT

Here we go...

1. 1971 Mustang Mach 1 (429 4 Speed)

2. "" BOSS 351 4 speed

3. 1970-71 Torino Cobra

4. 1970-71 Mercury Marauder X100 (I miss mine)

5. Ford RS200 EVO

6. Ford GT

7. Ford Sierra Cosworth

8. 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC

9. 1968 Galaxie 500 7 Liter Convertible

10. 1972 Ford Ranchero

This list subject ot hourly change.

I forgot about the Merc X-100. That was one of the first cars I really wanted when I was a kid. B)

I was lucky my license survived my Marauder.

The guy I bought it from had found that the car responded REALLY well to a mix of stock springs and firm shocks. The result was a huge coupe that rode very pleasantly but didn't wallow or lean much in corners. The dangerous part was that it had no sensation of speed-90 felt like 40 and the wind noise was mysteriously low.

You looked away from the speedo, and gained 20 mph by the time you looked again.

I'm only going to do my top five and they won't match with anyone elses. I'm going to also ignore anything made before 1980 since they are all be irrelivant in today's world.

1. 1985-1993 LX Mustang

2. Mercury Marauder

3. Lincoln MK VIII

4. Lincoln LS

5. Ford LTD LX 5.0

Call it controversial but I don't think vintage cars should be listed since they aren't relevant to today's times. Only thoose made in the last twenty or so should count.

Edited by StevenJ

This is a list of Ford cars that initiated and sustained my excitement with Ford. I guess you could count these as my favorites, with only the LS ranking #1. The rest are in no particular order.

2000 Lincoln LS

1993 Ford Probe

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

1996 Ford Taurus

1990 Ford Thunderbird

2005 Ford GT

2006 Fusion

Honorable mention...Mercury Montego. The bones are there but it still needs to be properly fleshed out.

My list looks awfully young compared to everybody else, but these cars reflect the attitudes of my generation. Anything that looks uncommon or breaks the mold! Ford use to really deliver with some daring products and it exuded confidence and individuality. I really miss that aspect of Ford and now we're left with a fairly anemic and pensive company that makes appliance instead of automobiles. I've never seen Ford lots look so depressing.

Edited by BORG

Call it controversial but I don't think vintage cars should be listed since they aren't relevant to today's times. Only thoose made in the last twenty or so should count.

So the 1967 (40 years ago give or take) mustang that was the inspiration and model for the new generation 2006 Mustang is irrelevant?

The T-bird based on the 1950's bird, makes the 50 year old T-Bird irrelevant (even though they screwed it up)?

Looking at this list, all I can wonder at is the horrible, awful effect, growing up with 1970's and 1980's vehicles, had on the stylistic sensibilities of the current generation of car-buying folk. The end is near.

So the 1967 (40 years ago give or take) mustang that was the inspiration and model for the new generation 2006 Mustang is irrelevant?

The T-bird based on the 1950's bird, makes the 50 year old T-Bird irrelevant (even though they screwed it up)?

Looking at this list, all I can wonder at is the horrible, awful effect, growing up with 1970's and 1980's vehicles, had on the stylistic sensibilities of the current generation of car-buying folk. The end is near.

Yeah but anyone can create a list before 1980 since there were soo many classic cars that everyone loves. But while these cars still have great importance in today's world, I think it is much more important that we focus on more recent accomplishments so that way we can point to what worked and what did not work. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Edited by StevenJ

Yeah but anyone can create a list before 1980 since there were soo many classic cars that everyone loves. But while these cars still have great importance in today's world, I think it is much more important that we focus on more recent accomplishments so that way we can point to what worked and what did not work. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Not really. Haven't the past 20 years been the most dismal in the history of Ford? Sales-wise, customer-satisfaction-wise, everyway-wise?

Recent accomplishments???????? Giving up market share right and left. Splattering out lumpy clumps of products?

The point really that is emerging with all these "soo many classic cars" from pre-1980 is that the more recent offerings from Ford have been pretty much, scat. And that's not just my opinion, but the opinion of the larger marketplace population as well.

1967 mustang fastback

1930 Ford 1 ton stakebed pickup

1970 cougar convertible. (Mother-in-law had one)

1974 Mustang Cobra II , T-top

1993/4 Ford Lightning

1967 Galaxy 500 2 door

1962 Falcon Ranchero 289

1929 Model A (Father-in-law has one completely restored)

1943 9N tractor (I have one)

1957 Crown Vic

Not really. Haven't the past 20 years been the most dismal in the history of Ford? Sales-wise, customer-satisfaction-wise, everyway-wise?

Recent accomplishments???????? Giving up market share right and left. Splattering out lumpy clumps of products?

The point really that is emerging with all these "soo many classic cars" from pre-1980 is that the more recent offerings from Ford have been pretty much, scat. And that's not just my opinion, but the opinion of the larger marketplace population as well.

Okay first off, you're wrong. The mid eighties to early nineties was a time of great propserity for Ford before the whole Jac Nasser era started. Ford was on a roll and was producing just what America had wanted. They had the hatchback 5.0 Mustangs, the Thunderbird super coupes, the LTD Crown Victoria, and the Ford Taurus was popular and a better seller than either Camry or Accord. Face it, you can't just glorify the past of the 50's to early 70's. You gotta look at more present to see where the mistakes started to happen to avoid repeating the same tragic mistakes. Even the nineties had some Fords, many of which were short lived like the Marauder, Ls, and Backwood, all of which were good ideas that didn't sell because they were not advertised and were under supported. I think if anything the last twenty years gives an idea of how to do things right and how not to screw things up. So it wasn't all bad.

I've gotta add one...

...Detomaso Pantera.

This car has haunted my dreams my whole life, and I've had the joy of helping work on a couple.

Best thing you can do: ditch the POS Cleveland for one of those SVO Windsor blocks that can be safely bored to displacements like 427.

Guest Sixcav

Remember the Probe? Though a Mazda, the Probe was a heck of a good car. I agree that the idea to make it a Mustang was a god awful idea, but in its own right, the Probe was a good car. By the early to mid 90's with the more aerodynamic body design, it was nice, had a nice interior. I always liked the Probe.

Additionally I always liked the Tunderbird Super Coupe in the late 80's and of course like every high school kid of that day I would have killed for a 5.0 Mustang.