Should Ford build another SuperCar?

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ford build Another SuperCar?

• Yes
    • No

It was built by Saleen in corner of now idle Wixom plant

Uh, no it wasn't. The body was painted by Saleen in their Troy factory, but the rest of the vehicle was assembled by Ford employees specially picked for the task. Just like the Ford employees that were picked to hand build the engine at Romeo Engine Plant.

There were no Saleen employees at Wixom.

Uh, no it wasn't. The body was painted by Saleen in their Troy factory, but the rest of the vehicle was assembled by Ford employees specially picked for the task. Just like the Ford employees that were picked to hand build the engine at Romeo Engine Plant.

There were no Saleen employees at Wixom.

Dang you Pioneer! I wanted to point out how wrong FordBuyer was. Either way, Good job. :banmolest:

I voted no, but one day after all the lineups in both Ford and Lincoln are brought up to class leading standards and are solidly profitable. Also after the economy rebounds...not much sense trying to sell 150k car, when people aren't wanting to buy 15k car. Ummm...I agree with Borg, the escape is in need of a definate refresh at the very least, compared to every ford vehicle except for the ranger and current focus it feels very dated.

Yeah, 2011 will be hard year for Escape without big rebates. Yeah, it's still a nice small Ute, but really showing its tiredness now and will need more cash on hood to sell going forward. I notice around here that it's really starting to clog up dealer lots more and more. The present Escape is at its end without big rebates and a new Escape is needed pronto as GM ramps up supply of new Equinox. And the new Sportage will not help either if it's cross shopped with Escape. Against that vehicle, the present Escape looks very dated.

You really need to up your anti-depression meds. The Escape will be just fine for the next year or so until its replacement debuts.

now theres a man after my own heart....mid-engine lightweight eco 6...would sure as hell be cheaper than the GT I loved so much......

A car fit to wear the name CAPRI and could be sold all around the globe as a premier product...

seriously, i'm all about EVs, and an EV supercar along the lines of the SLS E-Cell or the Tesla would be awesome, but I think a performance hybrid could be even cooler. That Porsche 918 Spyder is intense. I'm typically more interested in vehicles that can plug-in, but I think a non-plug-in hybrid would be more appropriate for this kind of vehicle. But it should still use li-ion batteries instead of the usual NiMH that most non-plug-ins have to save on weight. A 1kWh li-ion pack could be under 50lbs. So how about a 400hp EB 3.5L V6 with a 125kW motor from UQM or something. It could kill two birds with one stone, being the typical halo car while also showing off Ford's fuel efficient technologies.

All they said was that executives suggested if they do a supercar, fuel efficiency will be the main focus. I don't find it hard to believe that they would suggest that. It's not like its a Motor Trend rumor saying Ford is currently building a hybrid Ford GT.

I find the statement suggestiing fuel economy would be the main focus to be pretty stupid too. The main focus of a supercar is performance. Period. Fuel economy is a secondary concern at best. People paying $100K large on a vehicle they probably will not drive but on the most perfect of days aren't going to care if it gets 8 mpg or 80.

I find the statement suggestiing fuel economy would be the main focus to be pretty stupid too. The main focus of a supercar is performance. Period. Fuel economy is a secondary concern at best. People paying $100K large on a vehicle they probably will not drive but on the most perfect of days aren't going to care if it gets 8 mpg or 80.

I agree with you, but look at what has happened with the Porsche 918 Spyder: they said they needed 1000 orders to consider production, and they have 2000 deposits in hand, and have announced production. I know 2000 units is nothing, but my point is that supercar buyers will go for something like the 918 Spyder. Don't be surprised if BMW announces production plans for their eco supercar as well (can't remember the model name). IMO, this is the arena in which I could envision a Ford "supercar": Ford should kick the hell of out of Porsche (and VW by extension) by introducing a "supercar" that is superior to the Porsche. Such a car would also serve as a reminder to the market (especially in Europe, where Ford's brand image is more upscale than here) that Ford has been, and continues to be, a leader in 'green tech'. Unlike upstart Porsche.

Having said that, I'd prefer the funds be used to fund Lincoln product development.

I agree with you, but look at what has happened with the Porsche 918 Spyder: they said they needed 1000 orders to consider production, and they have 2000 deposits in hand, and have announced production. I know 2000 units is nothing, but my point is that supercar buyers will go for something like the 918 Spyder. Don't be surprised if BMW announces production plans for their eco supercar as well (can't remember the model name). IMO, this is the arena in which I could envision a Ford "supercar": Ford should kick the hell of out of Porsche (and VW by extension) by introducing a "supercar" that is superior to the Porsche. Such a car would also serve as a reminder to the market (especially in Europe, where Ford's brand image is more upscale than here) that Ford has been, and continues to be, a leader in 'green tech'. Unlike upstart Porsche.

Having said that, I'd prefer the funds be used to fund Lincoln product development.

Ford isn't Porsche....or BMW. If they can get good fuel economy, by all means they should, but that still doesn't mean it is a priority. Heck, even the 918 probably could be a hell of a lot more efficient than it already is if performance wasn't a priority.

I just saw this on Autoblog, about Jaguar introducing a concept called CX75, another supercar...considering that Jaguar was just bought a few months ago or year or something...I would think that as it is, they probably do not have the resources yet to come up with an original idea of their own. Could this CX75 be somewhat related to Fords new Supercar?

My link

I just saw this on Autoblog, about Jaguar introducing a concept called CX75, another supercar...considering that Jaguar was just bought a few months ago or year or something...I would think that as it is, they probably do not have the resources yet to come up with an original idea of their own. Could this CX75 be somewhat related to Fords new Supercar?

My link

Doesn't take too many resources or much time to come up with a styling prototype. If it has a ready-for-production rolling powertrain and chassis with safety structures in place, then you might be on to something. I doubt that's the case though. As the article says, "The C-X75 is a pure concept – there are no plans to make it."

If Ford said it needed 3,000 deposits to build a two seat all aluminum Cobra sports car with 5.0 V8 in Sapphire Blue and Candy Apple Red, they would have those orders in a heartbeat and more. Hell, I would probaby be one of them.

What would it accomplish right now? Ford's turnaround is coming along nicely. I believe another Ford GT type of vehicle would just be a distraction. If they are going to do something expensive and in-your-face with an unknown chance of long-term success, they may as well develop a bold RWD Lincoln sedan flagship instead.

I completely agree. There is alegedly no money to invest in Mercury, which based on recent years could not have added up to much. They have not put nearly enough into Lincoln. There is no Thunderbird, which could very easily be Ford's halo car. There is no replacement for Ranger or Panthers. Outside of Mustang there are no convertibles or coupes. No mini-vans. Bottom line the money could be spent more wisely in other areas.

I completely agree. There is alegedly no money to invest in Mercury, which based on recent years could not have added up to much. They have not put nearly enough into Lincoln. There is no Thunderbird, which could very easily be Ford's halo car. There is no replacement for Ranger or Panthers. Outside of Mustang there are no convertibles or coupes. No mini-vans. Bottom line the money could be spent more wisely in other areas.

I don't think the issue with Mercury was that there wasn't money to invest in it, but it was what would have been the point? With it gone now though, they had better continue to move Ford upmarket while successfully turning around Lincoln big time.

To be fair to Ford though in one of your points, the coupe market is small and likely best served by the Mustang only at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing a Fusion coupe or something even smaller like the Reflex concept, but I don't think it's really critical at all to Ford's bottom line.

It also alienated customers because dealers were charging way over sticker for them.

People who paid over sticker were more than happy to do it. Anybody who could afford a $175K vehicle would not scoff at an extra $50K. This is standard practice in the Ferrari world and I'm sure other exclusive expensive vehicles. These aren't regular Joes looking to buy a Mustang GT500.