'11 F-150 EcoBoost: 365 hp, 420 lb-ft

I'm a little surprised that the HP number is the same as the SHO. I would have expected a bit more. Closer to the 400/400 to be rumored. But since the torque is higher, that's probably OK. Dang thing still has 100 more HP than my 2003 Supercrew has. So if the fuel economy numbers turn out best in class still, I'd be real happy using this as my next truck engine...

That 365 hp comes in at 500 rpm earlier compared to the SHO, more torque everywhere too.

Wait till the after market kits start coming out, got a feeling this could become a cult engine...

F150's answer to Buddy Ingersoll, they can't out law this engine -

Edited by jpd80

I'm a little surprised that the HP number is the same as the SHO. I would have expected a bit more. Closer to the 400/400 to be rumored. But since the torque is higher, that's probably OK. Dang thing still has 100 more HP than my 2003 Supercrew has. So if the fuel economy numbers turn out best in class still, I'd be real happy using this as my next truck engine...

When you tune for more torque at lower RPM you lose max horsepower. 400/400 was probably achievable but they opted for 420 lb ft at lower RPM and that lowered the peak HP.

That's a very nice torque plateau offering that from around 2K to 5K. That can be coupled with some broad gearing to give really good economy numbers. Also, having the torque curve be that flat over such an aea, it shows that the engine STILL has a lot of headroom left in it. With the right tranny and proper internals, this thing could easily be pushing over 450 lbs of torque with comensurate HP levels. I can only imagine what a mustang with a fully unleashed 3.5EB would be like.

These ratings are on 87 octane, Ford has yet to finish certifying it on 91 octane. My guess is that 20-25hp more could be squeezed out with 91 octane, even more could be squeezed out with a 93 octane tune.

As atvman said, certification for premium isn't ready yet: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09/2011-ford-f-150-ecoboost-v-6-photos-and-additional-engine-details.html

HP is a little lower than I thought it would be but Im sure Ford has a conservative tune for durability issues. The aftermarket will have a field day with this engine. I know a lot of old timers that swear it wont last and only time will tell. Ford has a tough sell you on their hands here.

And in a truck long term durability.

This engine is putting up outstanding stats at a good price...but it had better be bulletproof and ready for pickup truck abuse and neglect...seriously.

This motor has been in farmers hands for over a year being tested. Who knows were else it's been tested.

Do you think Ford just found this motor in the corner last thursday and threw it in a truck?

It's time to start handing out a "Captain Obvious" award anytime the stupid "durability" card is played.

This motor has been in farmers hands for over a year being tested. Who knows were else it's been tested.

Do you think Ford just found this motor in the corner last thursday and threw it in a truck?

It's time to start handing out a "Captain Obvious" award anytime the stupid "durability" card is played.

A lot of people are going to play the durability card you can bank on it. Personally, I would not be afraid of it but many will be. Ford knows this and I bet a huge priority was put on testing this mill. Its the most significant new engine I can remember being released by them in a long time. The 5.0 is also new and important but there seems to be little fear of it since its not a forced induction motor.

I dont like being a beta tester but your have to embrace technology sometimes. Gm has no answer for this and the 5.0 will blow the doors of the high reving 5.3. The 3.7 makes the 4.3 look like a boat anchor and the entire Gm truck lineup is getting stale.

Ford knows they better get this right and I think they will. But, be ready for the haters. Ford has taken a bold step here. I cant wait for the real world reviews.

3.5L EB F150s have been running around Detroit for at least 2 years now. I don't think there is any chance that this engine will have durability issues.

I hope they are driving the shit out of them eg: flooring it constantly, leaving from stop light to stoplight hard, etc.. Only because that is reality. I don't ease onto a freeway, I gun it to get up to speed asap, if I get a stoplight challenge I'll accept. Yes, some is childish but I see it everyday from other people also.

I drove by one test vehicle a while back and they were driving like a grandma, leaving a stoplight ever so slowly, never going over 35-40 mph causing people to pass around. I went next to him at a stoplight and he didn't want to talk about the vehicle because he knew nothing about it, he only told me they pay him to drive around all day. The car had diagnostic equipment all over and cladding on the outside. IMHO, just racking up easy miles isn't a true test. Drive the vehicle aggressively and keep up with traffic.

• Like 1

3.5L EB F150s have been running around Detroit for at least 2 years now. I don't think there is any chance that this engine will have durability issues.

I believe Ford has tested them up to 160,000 miles with no problems. However, I would think the engines of choice for fleets would be the V6 and 5.0 V8. I would suspect that the weekend (poser) trucker would opt for the EB.

• Like 2

I hope they are driving the shit out of them eg: flooring it constantly, leaving from stop light to stoplight hard, etc.. Only because that is reality. I don't ease onto a freeway, I gun it to get up to speed asap, if I get a stoplight challenge I'll accept. Yes, some is childish but I see it everyday from other people also.

I drove by one test vehicle a while back and they were driving like a grandma, leaving a stoplight ever so slowly, never going over 35-40 mph causing people to pass around. I went next to him at a stoplight and he didn't want to talk about the vehicle because he knew nothing about it, he only told me they pay him to drive around all day. The car had diagnostic equipment all over and cladding on the outside. IMHO, just racking up easy miles isn't a true test. Drive the vehicle aggressively and keep up with traffic.

Seriously? Do you honestly think Ford does durability testing by driving around on eggshells? Based on ONE test driver?

There are a LOT of different things that get tested. That driver may have been testing low speed transmission shifting or engine cooling. There are thousands of tests that have to be done and not all of them involve "flooring it".

Ford does beat the crap out of the engines for durability testing. To do anything less would just be stupid and a waste of time.

• Like 1

Seriously? Do you honestly think Ford does durability testing by driving around on eggshells? Based on ONE test driver?

There are a LOT of different things that get tested. That driver may have been testing low speed transmission shifting or engine cooling. There are thousands of tests that have to be done and not all of them involve "flooring it".

Ford does beat the crap out of the engines for durability testing. To do anything less would just be stupid and a waste of time.

Good to hear. I've never had a driveline failure with any of my Ford's yet and want it to continue.

• Like 1