U.S.-spec Ford Ranger to officially end production in 2011, Ford explains why

LINK

The official answer as to why the Ranger will no longer be available in America is that the new global platform is simply too close in size to the F-150. Kuzak says that the new global Ranger is 90 percent of the size of the current F-150 and that American buyers would just as soon spend a little more money for a larger, more capable vehicle. But if the two trucks are so close in size, why didn't the company take the F-150 global and do away with the Ranger all together?

"That ten-percent size difference does make a difference," Kuzak said. "Right-hand drive is required in the rest of the world and other regulations, both safety and emissions, impacted that decision."

But there are other forces at work, too. Kuzak notes that the compact pickup market in America has been declining for the past 15 years, dropping from eight percent of the industry in 1994 to around two percent today. Even so, Ford says that on average, it still sells around 75,000 Rangers a year. And that's on a platform that hasn't received a significant powertrain or styling update since 1993. The North American Ranger is about as zombified as a vehicle can get, and yet a good number of buyers remain happy to hop into a new one and take it home in favor of its brawnier big brother.

ranger-630-1284935900.jpg

Edited by jpd80

That said, Ford has conducted research that shows that the majority of Ranger buyers don't purchase the vehicle because it's a pickup. Instead, they come into the showroom looking for the least expensive, most economical Ford available.

"They were looking for affordable transportation. Within our Ford lineup today and increasingly going forward, we're providing them more alternative affordable transportation than we've ever done."

Until just recently, the doomed Ranger filled that role, but now that the Fiesta has arrived, the company expects to see even more buyers flee from the compact truck. Meanwhile, those that have their heart set on an actual work vehicle can turn to offerings like the company's Transit Connect van.

Not denying their research, but......

A Ranger is the least expensive, most economical Ford?

• Like 1

It's sad for a few reasons:

• Makes you wonder how many F150s they sell because they upsell the Ranger
  • Makes you wonder how many other Fords they sell getting people in the showroom to check out an advertised $13000 Ranger
  • Makes you wonder how many sales they will lose when those customers check out the GM, Ram and Toyota competitors to the Ranger
  • Makes you wonder how many of those customers will never come back.

As bad as the perception the Windstar has, people still complain that Ford doesn't have a sliding door minivan and have gone to other manufacturers to fill the need. If Ford cleared $5000 per Ranger, 75,000 sales works out to $375M per year profit. You would think that if they brought the Ranger into this decade with a better drivetrain alone they could probably increase sales to the 100-125k mark.

After 3 Rangers, I'll go on record to say that this will likely be my last Ford truck. I've no need for anything larger.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, those that have their heart set on an actual work vehicle can turn to offerings like the company's Transit Connect van.
You can tell Kuzak has spent too much times pushing pencils. You can's dump a load of gravel or garden stone or brick or stand up a fridge in a Transit Connect; and if you could you can't use it to haul crap up to a cabin.
  • Like 1

It's sad for a few reasons:

• Makes you wonder how many F150s they sell because they upsell the Ranger
  • Makes you wonder how many other Fords they sell getting people in the showroom to check out an advertised $13000 Ranger
  • Makes you wonder how many sales they will lose when those customers check out the GM, Ram and Toyota competitors to the Ranger
  • Makes you wonder how many of those customers will never come back.

As bad as the perception the Windstar has, people still complain that Ford doesn't have a sliding door minivan and have gone to other manufacturers to fill the need. If Ford cleared $5000 per Ranger, 75,000 sales works out to $375M per year profit. You would think that if they brought the Ranger into this decade with a better drivetrain alone they could probably increase sales to the 100-125k mark.

After 3 Rangers, I'll go on record to say that this will likely be my last Ford truck. I've no need for anything larger.

Another iconic Ford nameplate is put down. First let it die on the vine and then put it down for good. Kind of cruel and unusual punishment. And of course another RWD Ford vehicle sees the end of the line.

On side note, police officers from around the country were congregating at Chelsea Proving Grounds testing the latest police car offerings from various auto companies. The consensus seemed to be that they favored RWD over FWD and lamented that Crown Vic was leaving the scene and replaced by FWD/AWD only. You just know that Ford is going to lose police market share over this decision.

• Like 1

You can tell Kuzak has spent too much times pushing pencils. You can's dump a load of gravel or garden stone or brick or stand up a fridge in a Transit Connect; and if you could you can't use it to haul crap up to a cabin.

Amen- That was my thought exactly- a good example of the dangers of putting your faith in a "study" vs. common sense. His comment on the Transit Connect tips his hand that he is spinning the party line. I have a 2004 FX-4. I have a Back Rack and I use the extended cab feature as my toolcarrier-not as a passenger feature. The truck would be an absolute homerun with an upgraded power train.

What does Toyota understand that Ford does not. And to those of you who have commented about the "90% the size of a 150" being a loser in the rest of the world were gas is 5 bucks, I agree.

• Like 1

Amen- That was my thought exactly- a good example of the dangers of putting your faith in a "study" vs. common sense. His comment on the Transit Connect tips his hand that he is spinning the party line. I have a 2004 FX-4. I have a Back Rack and I use the extended cab feature as my toolcarrier-not as a passenger feature. The truck would be an absolute homerun with an upgraded power train.

What does Toyota understand that Ford does not. And to those of you who have commented about the "90% the size of a 150" being a loser in the rest of the world were gas is 5 bucks, I agree.

Ford for some reason can't get it through its head that some don't want a huge 5600 pound porker called an F-150, but would still like to buy a RWD Ford pickup that fits in their garage with their other vehicle. So Ford lets the Ranger die on the vine and then says "See, not many wil buy a small truck that hasn't been updated in 15 years." They seemed to see the light with small cargo vans, but have a giant blind spot when it comes to small RWD pickups. Go figure.

• Like 1

I doubt we'll be Ranger-less for long. Too many "slips" from top brass in recent interviews.

I'm guessing this info is out there because the next Ranger won't sell as a bargain-basement loss leader. Might as well get that expectation out of people's heads now.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

I doubt we'll be Ranger-less for long. Too many "slips" from top brass in recent interviews.

I'm guessing this info is out there because the next Ranger won't sell as a bargain-basement loss leader. Might as well get that expectation out of people's heads now.

I wished to see an ecoboost Ranger in the future. I guess not now.

Have you ever looked at the sticker of a new V6 Ranger? It's not cheaply priced. If Ford has to throw money on the hood to sell it, it's only because Ford has refused to update it for over 10 years and now getting closer to 20 years. Ranger didn't kill itself...Ford killed it. There is a market for smaller pickups, smaller cars, smaller sports cars, and minivans. Ford has entered the market again for smaller cars, and smaller cargo vans. Kind of ironic that as it markets new Fiesta, it does the opposite with smaller pickups.

• Like 1

I still believe that the "supposed" market for the ranger in the US can be filled with a kind of "cut-away" transit connect with a small bed on it. Its the size people want, it will be efficient, and, though it won't pull a semi-trailer or haul a pallette of lead, it will still carry an appliance, some garden soil, or tow your jetski. And, assuming that such a product could be produced on the same line that produces the regular Transit connect (when it ever moves to the US), it should be economical to make as well.

I still believe that the "supposed" market for the ranger in the US can be filled with a kind of "cut-away" transit connect with a small bed on it. Its the size people want, it will be efficient, and, though it won't pull a semi-trailer or haul a pallette of lead, it will still carry an appliance, some garden soil, or tow your jetski. And, assuming that such a product could be produced on the same line that produces the regular Transit connect (when it ever moves to the US), it should be economical to make as well.

Oh my, another venerable RWD super strong towing vehicle is replaced by a FWD vehicle. I personally prefer FWD over RWD, but RWD does have its place in some niches like sport cars, luxury vehicles, and PICKUP trucks. And I would argue larger SUVs. I'm going to buy a small sports car, and it will be RWD. If it wasn't, I wouldn't buy one. I love FWD as my four seasons car, but a sports car must be RWD just as a pickup truck.

90% of the F150? Seems big. The F150 for some reason seems very large to me. Especially in height. I could see owning a Ranger, and would kind of like to own one. However an F150 I wouldn't feel comfortable driving around the city in because it just feels so large, I've never tried to parallel park an F150, but it seems like that would be difficult.

Seems odd the small pickup is getting so bigger in this day and age.

Have you ever looked at the sticker of a new V6 Ranger? It's not cheaply priced. If Ford has to throw money on the hood to sell it, it's only because Ford has refused to update it for over 10 years and now getting closer to 20 years. Ranger didn't kill itself...Ford killed it. There is a market for smaller pickups, smaller cars, smaller sports cars, and minivans. Ford has entered the market again for smaller cars, and smaller cargo vans. Kind of ironic that as it markets new Fiesta, it does the opposite with smaller pickups.

It's another shrinking market in which Ford doesn't want to commit its limited resources. Sad but that's way things are right now. Ford just can't be in every single market segment right now. Anyone who believes they should just isn't living in reality.

Hmmmm... :headscratch:

I totally agree. I think we will get a new U.S. Ranger - it just won't be built at Twin Cities. And I don't think Ford wants to tip their hand to the competition just yet. Why would Mulally specifically say "New Ranger" if they aren't doing one?

I totally agree. I think we will get a new U.S. Ranger - it just won't be built at Twin Cities. And I don't think Ford wants to tip their hand to the competition just yet. Why would Mulally specifically say "New Ranger" if they aren't doing one?

Suppliers would have to know about two years in advance and AN usually pickus up feedback on suppliers and their plans. Hard for Ford to keep suppliers quiet for long if Ford indeed has plans to build smaller pickup. With Ford being known as Pickup King, seems hard to believe that small pickup market would be segment they would vacate after dominating it for so long before giving it to Toyota without a fight. And with new CAFE rules almost here, doubly baffling. If an EB Flex only gets 22mpg highway, the F-150 EB won't do any better. So Ford needs a workhorse pickup that gets mid 20's highway in near future. Ford is not vacating the small SUV market, so why would it vacate the small pickup market at a time when fuel efficiency becomes even more important. The F-150 keeps getting bigger, not smaller.

It's another shrinking market in which Ford doesn't want to commit its limited resources. Sad but that's way things are right now. Ford just can't be in every single market segment right now. Anyone who believes they should just isn't living in reality.

The Ranger is not about entering every market segment, it's about not vacating a market Ford has been in for decades. It's about not letting a potentially very successful nameplate die on the vine. The Ranger needs a new drivetrain, new greenhouse, new interior, and thus could be a competitive product in a market all to itself as others are more midsized.

The Ranger is not about entering every market segment, it's about not vacating a market Ford has been in for decades. It's about not letting a potentially very successful nameplate die on the vine. The Ranger needs a new drivetrain, new greenhouse, new interior, and thus could be a competitive product in a market all to itself as others are more midsized.

Read my post again. I didn't say "entering". If the market is shrinking why stay in it if the investment takes away from staying competitive in a more lucrative market? They aren't going to keep the Ranger around just for the sake of keeping the nameplate around.

Edited by TomServo92

Read my post again. I didn't say "entering". If the market is shrinking why stay in it if the investment takes away from staying competitive in a more lucrative market? They aren't going to keep the Ranger around just for the sake of keeping the nameplate around.

First off, Ford is virtually the only manufacturer producting a COMPACT pickup. Everyone else still making a smaller pickup has gone midsized. And hard to measure how successful the Ranger could be because Ford refuses to improve it as in keeping it modern. No matter how it's argued, this latest Ford decision will be the most controversial yet. IMO, even more controversial than the ending of Mercury, Town Car, RWD Explorer, and RWD Crown Vic. I don't know that the global platform works in all applications since the "Global Ranger" fails to make it to most important truck market in world----North America.

Valid point- but the danger in carrying that philosphy too far is that in my book, you end up painting yourself into a corner- and when tastes change-what have you left to market? Just think where many companies would be today if they devoted their resources ONLY to their most profitable product? My guess is, good in the short term- a disaster in the long term.

The Ranger was at one time a top selling vehicle. As so many have pointed out, you don't do anything to keep it fresh and what do you get?-lost sales to Toyota

Lets just hope the answer is not a Transit connect with a tin box in the back. We need BOF, RWD and a North/South engine.