Ford Explorer Interceptor

I think this will be a big selling point:

Ford has also gone the extra step to rework some of the Explorer's interior functions to better suit police needs. The steering wheel buttons, for example, are remappable and can be programmed to operate a host of auxiliary functions (lights, sirens, etc.). What's more, Ford's SYNC system is on hand and can be used to voice-activate the different police communication and audio equipment.

I don't understand why the EcoBoost engine is not available in either the civilian or PI Explorer. Are they waiting for Gen 2 ?

Also surprised that they are not using the 3.7L V6. Probably because the 6F50 would not hold it and the did not want to spend the money for the 6F55.

At 290 hp @ 5500 and 255 lb ft @ 4250, the new TIVCT 3.5 is more than a match for

the out going inlet only VCT 3.7 so perhaps the cost of changing the Explorer/Taurus

line for a different engine didn't add enough to offset the production complexity.

Just a thought....

Well, this seals it. The new Explorer will not be our next vehicle. No way I am going to pay $45k for a cop car.

oh noes! :P

Who cares? If Anything once they get more popular, people will start yielding the right of way to you since they won't be sure if its a cop or not.

Oh by the way....

Explorer.JPG

2000dog.jpg

I think you have/had an Explorer at one point in time, so you already bought a cop car ;)

Anyways...is it being called a Police Interceptor Utility or a Explorer Police Inceptor Utility? I know Ford made it quite clear that the PI isn't the Taurus PI...

Edited by silvrsvt

The Police Interceptor Utility (do not call it Explorer...it is not badged that way) will garner some good sales from municipalities due to it's rugged construction and <ahem> utility for the various functions of a modern police force. "at least 280 HP" is plenty for todays' patrol vehicles that have a modern communications system that is always faster than the fastest cars on the planet. You will see some Police Interceptor sedans with EcoBoost for outright top speed highway performances, but the vast majority of both the Sedan and Utility PI will be front drive, followed by naturally aspirated all wheel drive. I can see, in NYS at least, the State Trooper Thruway fleet being mostly Ecoboost sedans, while the rest of the line being Utility PI.

Of course Explorer was marketed as a police car. That is why it is a very common police vehicle. They are everywhere in NJ/NYC.

Are you saying matching features of your current Explorer, the new Explorer would cost $45K?

My current Explorer wasn't marketed as a police vehicle.

And I didn't pay 45k for it.

My current Explorer wasn't marketed as a police vehicle.

And I didn't pay 45k for it.

http://www.media.fordvehicles.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33173

Nor is the new Explorer....Ford is calling it a Police Interceptor Utility, not an Explorer Police Interceptor Utility.

The older Explorer was just a Police Utility vehicle and not recommended for Interceptor duties...the newer PIU can do that now.

Just to point out something to Pioneer...

Almost every vehicle that ford produces for domestic US sale that's larger than a focus has a "police" package. In my work, I have seen all of the following in full police setup:

Escape

Expedition

Explorer

F-150

F-superduty

Fusion

Taurus (up to 09, none of the new ones yet)

Econoline

Of course the CVPI

Edge (yes, I've seen one...)

I haven't seen:

Flex

Any Lincolns

Any Mercuries

So if you refuse to spend your money on a "cop car" you're SOL.

And, carrying that further, I've seen most of the Chevrolet and GM lineup in police guise, most of the Chrysler lineup in Police guise, oh, and guess what, lots of those imports that you might love? Many of them are used in other countries as police vehicles.

What's going to matter is how differentiated they are from regular models, and, if they glutt the used car market after they are all used up.

What's going to matter is how differentiated they are from regular models, and, if they glutt the used car market after they are all used up.

Well the new PI has a column mounted shifter and I'm assuming the PIU has the same deal. I don't think there is an outcry for column mounted shifters LOL

Not to mention I don't think local PD's are going to be replacing cars as much as they did in the past...IIRC the one town I grew up in replaced their units every 2-3 years or after 100-150K on them. I think with the current climate the way it is, they'll be hanging on them longer.

Just to point out something to Pioneer...

Almost every vehicle that ford produces for domestic US sale that's larger than a focus has a "police" package. In my work, I have seen all of the following in full police setup:

Escape

Expedition

Explorer

F-150

F-superduty

Fusion

Taurus (up to 09, none of the new ones yet)

Econoline

Of course the CVPI

Edge (yes, I've seen one...)

I haven't seen:

Flex

Any Lincolns

Any Mercuries

So if you refuse to spend your money on a "cop car" you're SOL.

And, carrying that further, I've seen most of the Chevrolet and GM lineup in police guise, most of the Chrysler lineup in Police guise, oh, and guess what, lots of those imports that you might love? Many of them are used in other countries as police vehicles.

I got pulled over by a North Dakota Highway Patrol driving a burgundy Lincoln Town Car in the summer of 1993 when I was up there for a family reunion and an named donor (rumored to be an insurance company or group of insurance companies) donated a bunch a Mercury Marauders to the Florida Highway Patrol some years back (Link). It's rare, but there are a few Lincoln & Mercury cop cars out there.

Well, this seals it. The new Explorer will not be our next vehicle. No way I am going to pay $45k for a cop car.

jesus Pioneer...get with the program...I have a 4x4 Explorer XLT 202a package with nav and blis ordered for a customer...guess what MSRP is 4379, invoice is 35711 and a guess would be A plan would be 34-34500...so, your price speculation ( assuming you are A plan ) is 10 grand south of reality...or do you do the same thing as the car mags and spec out a King Ranch Bling version and then bleat about how expensive the vehicles are???????....and there is NOTHING wrong with buying something municipalities recognize as durable, in fact quite the opposite....yousd be hard pressed to endorse a higher recommendation.