New Mustang

Go to Motor Trend's site to see their latest illustration of the 2015 Mustang based on what Ford has told them recently. It looks very good to me. It's based on the current platform with the grille made more vertical and it's squared off a bit. The tail is also more vertical with a bit of a spoiler and I like their guess at the lights and bumper. The roof is narrowed in at the back to give it a slimmer, faster look - it looks great, too. The wheel openings seem wider and more pronounced, and the wheels are larger. MT claims that the current engines will stay perhaps with Direct Injection but they speculate that the Ecoboost V6 will not be used at least for '15. They do write that a new SVO model may appear with possibly a 2.3L or larger Ecoboost I4. Are they right? We won't know for a while but it isn't an over-the-top guess. It seems very plausible and looks very good.

Go to Motor Trend's site to see their latest illustration of the 2015 Mustang based on what Ford has told them recently. It looks very good to me. It's based on the current platform with the grille made more vertical and it's squared off a bit. The tail is also more vertical with a bit of a spoiler and I like their guess at the lights and bumper. The roof is narrowed in at the back to give it a slimmer, faster look - it looks great, too. The wheel openings seem wider and more pronounced, and the wheels are larger. MT claims that the current engines will stay perhaps with Direct Injection but they speculate that the Ecoboost V6 will not be used at least for '15. They do write that a new SVO model may appear with possibly a 2.3L or larger Ecoboost I4. Are they right? We won't know for a while but it isn't an over-the-top guess. It seems very plausible and looks very good.

No offense, but that Motortrend rendering is awful. It looks like a bad combination of the 2006 and the 2011. If I remember correctly Ford said the 2015 Mustang would not have retro styling(meaning MTs rendering is out of the picture). It seems to me that the Mad Maxx concept will turn into the new mustang. To some nations it will be the Mustang, to other nations it will be the Falcon coupe. The Mad Maxx concept also goes along with Ford's new styling (The Evos concept). Thats just my thoughts though.

Edited by Focus06

No offense taken. By starting with the existing platform, Ford has decided not to start with a clean sheet of paper and that limits how much the appearance will change. The changes that MT envisions are not as retro as the last two versions of this car including their take on the bluntish grille, the more pronounced wheel openings, and the tail treatment. The changes are less retro but overall the vehicle certainly is retro looking and very much a Mustang. It needs to lose some weight and I'll be interested in seeing if Ford is successful at removing enough, which might be cost ineffective since again, they are starting with an existing platform.

No offense taken. By starting with the existing platform, Ford has decided not to start with a clean sheet of paper and that limits how much the appearance will change.

Depends on how strictly they are defining "platform".

Remember, this:

1984_ford_ltd-pic-48917.gif

and this:

00cobraR.jpg

were technically on the same "platform" too.

Edited by NickF1011

• 2 months later...

I liked the LTD LX with the 185 HP FI 5.0L and automatic from the Mustang. It was sorta like a four door Mustang GT. My friend's father had one and it was relatively quick. There was also a police package using that drivetrain, Ford's answer to the Malibu 9C1 with the 305 V8.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...