'11 Fiesta Earns "Top Pick"

Thanks for posting!

This is absolutely outstanding! The Fiesta is so important for Ford, as it will hopefully serve as an entry point for younger buyers who hopefully will stay with Ford for a long time. And there are going to be more than a few parents who will be buying Fiestas for their kids (ummm, I was never so lucky). In particular, I anticipate that the Fiesta will be a car that will be cool enough to drive on a college campus, but also will be a "feel good" car for the parents for safety and fuel economy. Win/win.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/roof/detailsbyclass.aspx?90

the roof of this car can withstand 14,000lbs of force compare this to the fit and mini @ 8000lbs and the yaris @9000 lbs

thanks to 50% high strength and ultra high strengthsteel including Boron steel A pillars...side benefit of its strength...long term resistance to squeaks and rattles....car still impressing me with how tight and quiet she seems....

Did anyone notice this little blurb on the news release:

"The Fiesta's award applies to cars built after July 2010 because Ford made design changes to strengthen the outside door handles to minimize the possibility of doors opening in side impact crashes. "

This really bothers me. I'm in the middle of purchasing one of these for my wife that was built in April, will Ford do anything to modify my car in order to make sure it has the safety of the newer cars?

"The Fiesta's award applies to cars built after July 2010 because Ford made design changes to strengthen the outside door handles to minimize the possibility of doors opening in side impact crashes. "

This really bothers me. I'm in the middle of purchasing one of these for my wife that was built in April, will Ford do anything to modify my car in order to make sure it has the safety of the newer cars?

Sparks....my guess is its a pretty small issue...I mean "strengthening door HANDLES"....I would be more concerned if it was the actual door latches....even without knowing the specifics of the "issue" my confidence driving my Fiesta hasnt changed from BEFORE I knew these results.....

Notice how the Fusion made its way back on that list.

Yep, I caught that a few weeks ago and noted in a thread on MKS getting a TSP designation. There's tons of Ford product that gets it now, so that is just really cool. (I like that the MKZ gets it, too...in prior MY of Fusion that got it (like the '09), the MKZ of the same MY did not).

I trust and look for a TSP...and put far more weight on that than anything from NHTSA. I think any car should be able to get a 5-start front impact rating from NHTSA. The front impact test from IIHS is a lot more challenging to the car.

Edited by BrewfanGRB

This really bothers me.

It probably only makes a difference in a rare crash situation where:

1. A side impact causes the door to open with the old door handle but not the new door handle.

2. A subsequent event, perhaps a second crash or object flying into the open door, or a rollover onto the side with the door open, occurs. (Or the occupant is unbelted and falls out, but it can be assumed that an unbelted occupant does not care enough about his/her own safety to care about this type of risk.)

In the IIHS side crash test of the Smart ForTwo, the door actually did open. The IIHS downgraded the Smart ForTwo's structure rating from good to acceptable, but still gave it an overall rating of good due to good measures for (low) injury risk.