2011 Explorer Order Status

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and to Ford, and had a few questions about my order. I placed an order for a Limited , Triple white Explorer with the 301A package, dual-panel moonroof, trailering package, chrome wheels and ebony interior approximately one week ago. What is the time to build once a dealer allocation time arrives? My dealer mentioned their allocation came 'up' and my order would be placed instead of receiving an allocation? What does this mean from a time perspective? What is the average time to build an ordered Explorer currently? The stories I have read thus far are leading me to believe an 8 to 10 week window may not be sufficient to receive my vehicle.

I've been waiting since August, and still NO VIN. :rant:

Hopefully your dealer has better allocation than mine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response Marginal Economist and Mitch,

Mitch, did your dealer mention if there was an allocation spot available? Are you in a large market? I ordered from a small dealer approx 70 miles from Seattle and I'm wondering if your dealer may have requested random builds instead of your custom in order to get cars to sell immediately and 'at cost'. Just wondering how this system works...

Marginal Economist, how soon after the dealer places the order will the parts be gathered and a VIN assigned? Thanks again all.

MNK

I just ordered a XLT with 202A, navigation, trailer tow, all weather floor mats, and roof rack. The dealer said they didn't think there would be any reason it would be longer than 8 weeks, I hope they are right. They probably would have said whatever it took to make the sale. Mine will be Golden Bronze with charcoal black leather. After reading all the posts here I hope it is not too long of a wait.

Thanks for the response Marginal Economist and Mitch,

Mitch, did your dealer mention if there was an allocation spot available? Are you in a large market? I ordered from a small dealer approx 70 miles from Seattle and I'm wondering if your dealer may have requested random builds instead of your custom in order to get cars to sell immediately and 'at cost'. Just wondering how this system works...

Marginal Economist, how soon after the dealer places the order will the parts be gathered and a VIN assigned? Thanks again all.

MNK

I thought it was a good size dealer in NJ. He said there was plenty of alloacation, but now I'm wondering. He has 2 sitting on his lot.

I thought I figured it out when I ordered.. :stirpot:

i just ordered my wife the 2011 explorer limited 4x4 yesterday. golden bronze with pecan interior,302a, dvd, trailer tow pkg. the whole works. and we are super stoked about it. cant wait to get it in and get used to all the new gadgets. our dealer said it should take no longer than 6 weeks to get it in. how can i check the status of the build? is it like ordering a pizza on line? " john recieved your order... john placed pizza in oven... jason is on his way..." is it something like that?

i just ordered my wife the 2011 explorer limited 4x4 yesterday. golden bronze with pecan interior,302a, dvd, trailer tow pkg. the whole works. and we are super stoked about it. cant wait to get it in and get used to all the new gadgets. our dealer said it should take no longer than 6 weeks to get it in. how can i check the status of the build? is it like ordering a pizza on line? " john recieved your order... john placed pizza in oven... jason is on his way..." is it something like that?

No it isn't like that. There are two ways to check on your status. One is to get at least 10 post here and then go to Employee Section and to track your vehicle and as Cyberdman to look it up. He works for Ford. You will need to have some information like you VIN or something else.

The other way is to wait for your sticker to become available at the link in an earlier post with your VIN number. Personally if you get it in 6 weeks, you will be lucky. I would say closer to 8 to 12 weeks because others have pre-order their vehicle and still have not received them or even got VIN's yet.

Hope you get it in that time, but I wouldn't expect it.

No it isn't like that. There are two ways to check on your status. One is to get at least 10 post here and then go to Employee Section and to track your vehicle and as Cyberdman to look it up. He works for Ford. You will need to have some information like you VIN or something else.

The other way is to wait for your sticker to become available at the link in an earlier post with your VIN number. Personally if you get it in 6 weeks, you will be lucky. I would say closer to 8 to 12 weeks because others have pre-order their vehicle and still have not received them or even got VIN's yet.

Hope you get it in that time, but I wouldn't expect it.

It can be some time before the sticker is viewable. I placed my order 1/5, and I know the vehicle is scheduled to be built the week of 2/7. However the sticker is still not online. I believe that until the finalized order is actually sent to the plant to build, the sticker isn't available. Even that won't tell you when the vehicle will be delivered though. Once built it can be 10-14 days or more (assuming no holds, delays, transport issues) before the dealer receives the vehicle.

Thanks it did! I'm concerned over the wind noise issue some have reported as well as some other fit and finish problems. I have yet to take delivery on mine scheduled to be built on 1/31. Hopefully they are working the bugs out.

I'm going to test the quick fix I used on my Taurus (foam tape insert just under the plastic cowl) on a co-workers Explorer just to see if that is indeed the problem. But it will be up the dealers to fix it legitimately. Seems like something they really should have caught in wind-tunnel testing!

Got an update this morning from Cyberdman:

"In Transit - Arrived at Junction Point (Canadian National Railways ) Riverdale, IL Jan-31-2011, 21:36 CT.

ETA Feb-08-2011."

Ordered on 8/10/10

Ford began production on retail orders in early December

Received a VIN 1FMHK7F86BGA17457 Jan. 6th to begin production 1/20/11

Window sticker available 1/12/11 http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/windowsticker.aspx?vin=1FMHK7F86BGA17457

Still in production 1/24/11

Today's update - ETA 2/8/11

Requested X Plan PIN or process today from Blue Oval member

As soon as I get X plan info, I will take Early Order Incentive ($500) card, 2002 EB Explorer for $1,500 Loyalty Incentive and negotiate possible trade with dealer. After all Incentives and possible trade, take new contract to Credit Union for loan approval. Then meet with my Allstate agent with a copy of my Window Sticker and contract to get 2011 Explorer insurance binder for Credit Union and dealer.

Plan Boating Vacation

Any suggestions here are welcome.

Gary

Edited by GaryG

Congrats! Looks like its been a long process for you. Hope to get mine sometime in Feb.

I really didn't expect to be put first in line with a dealer with me asking for X-Plan and I knew the 2011 Explorer wasn't even to start production till November. As long as I know I was getting a good deal with X-Plan, the wait is worth it to me. Myplan@ ford.com just sent me my PIN Certificate/Number by e-mail so the plan is coming together great so far. I'm going to expect delays with shipment because of the weather up there now but if it makes the ETA, it will be that much better at this point.

Mitch ordered 6 days before me and still no word. I see your order is about to start production and it took 19 days for an ETA after mine started production so you should get it this month.

Mitch ordered 6 days before me and still no word. I see your order is about to start production and it took 19 days for an ETA after mine started production so you should get it this month.

I'm still waiting with no VIN in sight...

Quote from Ford:

"I researched the information on your current order status and didn’t see any updates yet. I was told that this wait time is the result of this being such a popular vehicle and that we’re trying our best to get through these pre-orders as quickly as possible."

I'm glad I didn't get one of the early builds, I hope they finally got the kinks out of the build process, but it is becoming more than frustrating. :finger:

My wife just ordered her Explorer last Friday and the dealership told her it should be here by the end of Feb, are dealerships really that out of touch with what is happening at the plant? I was told the same thing two years ago when I ordered a Mariner Hybrid, dealership told me two months took seven. Just looking for a honest answer.

My wife just ordered her Explorer last Friday and the dealership told her it should be here by the end of Feb, are dealerships really that out of touch with what is happening at the plant? I was told the same thing two years ago when I ordered a Mariner Hybrid, dealership told me two months took seven. Just looking for a honest answer.

Things may be speeding up, but not that much!

I ordered my Explorer on 1/5/11. The dealer had allocation available (very important apparently), and graciously coded my order with a priority 10. The vehicle was scheduled to be built the week of 2/7 and went into production two days ago. It is currently "bucked", meaning the body has been started. ETA is 2/21.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of timing that's possible now that production is ramped up (if not probable). Good luck!

Edited by scottfmcc

Looks like I made it through the snow storm and Cyberdman updated me today:

"Still on track.

In Transit - Passing (Csx Transportation ) Garrett, IN Feb-04-2011, 03:50 ET."

I feel real lucky!

Edited by GaryG