2011 F-150 engine Options

With the 3.7 putting out some impressive numbers (in the cars at least), wonder if we will see it as the base in the Super and Crew cabs as well as the regular cabs? I expect it's numbers to be right up there close to the current 4.6 3V, and with a little weight being shed, it might be a great base engine for cost-conscious buyers.

[On the 3.7L power levels...

For that Tq number to go much above 280 lbs, it's going to take either premium fuel (something not likely on a base engine) or GDI (again, not likely on a base engine). Compare the 3.7L to the Toyota 4.0L v6 in the Tacoma and Tundra, the Nissan 4.0L v6 in the Frontier, and any other v6s out there. For a TiVCT 3.7L v6 running on regular unleaded gas 280 lbs of torque is about state of the art. I expect the HP numbers to be close to 300 hp, though I'm not sure if Ford wants their base engine to make 300 hp or not. I think that they will be happy with 295/280. The only other RWD application that we've seen of this engine is in the Mustang, and that's a hotter tune for a lighter vehicle. I suspect that the final tune will be 280 hp/275 tq, which will not be bad if it has decent fuel economy numbers and a broader torque curve than the mustang engine.

On the 5.0L V8 numbers...

Again, the Mustang tune is a hotter tune for a lighter vehicle. This is basically going to be a direct replacement for the 5.4L 3v, so expect similar torque (370-380 lbs) and much better HP (360-380HP). This will make it a ballpark competitor for the competition's larger 5.6L to 5.9L engines. Again, Ford prefers to throw tech at an engine instead of displacement. IT should, however, give decent fuel economy.

On the 3.5L EB numbers...

I'm sure that the torque numbers will be less constrained than the Taurus SHO numbers. Looking at the Taurus dyno sheets, it's obvious that 400 lbs of torque is not out of the question. It's all a question of how far Ford wants to push the bottom end of the 3.5L EB. I think that 400/400 is a magical marketing number that ford will want to hit with the EB engine. It's obvious that the engine is capable of making that kind of power, its just a question of how durable it is. If it's anywhere below that, it's going to more than likely be a detune related to powertrain longevity and not a peak output capabilities problem. It might get detuned for fuel economy purposes as well.

On the 6.2L SOHC V8 numbers...

I full expect that it will come with the Raptor ECU setup and tuning specifics, but be advertised with the regular unleaded power numbers of 401 HP and 434 lbs of torque (Soure: Autoblog raptor specs). Granted, in the HArley Davidson, they won't flinch from using the Premium numbers as it's a premium vehicle. For the King Ranch, they may go with the regular numbers. They wouldn't go to the expense of trying to use the Superduty version of the engine on the F-150 line as that setup goes to a different facility. Its cheaper to just use the raptor setup as is and not even waste the development money to mix and match cheaper parts to it.

My own opinion...

Ford should offer a special towing package for the F-150 XLT that includes the 6.2L v8. It should include every option available for the F-150 that enhances towing capabilities as mandatory package requirements. IT should only have one option, rear end final drive ratio. That way, flat land towers can take advantage of the better fuel economy offered by the lower ratio and mountain towers can take advantage of the better torque multiplication of the higher ratio. Though, I believe that the 3.5L EB will be the best option available for mountain towing. Forced induction really makes up for thin air. I can't wait for the comparissons that Ford will be able to do between the EB F-150 and the Tundra, Silverado and Ram equipped with their biggest gas engines in the high altitudes out west.

me, I'll SPECULATE, base 3.7, 5.0 $1250 upcharge, eco $1500, 6.2 cant really be gauged as its only going to be in lLimiteds, King Blanch and Harleys so all the additional goodies will burden the upcharge.... ordering guides should become avail soon so only then will we have accurate #'s....

Dean, I hope you are wrong... XLT Lariat would get the job done for me. I need the truck to do a job, not impress the neighbors. but you are probably right. Why is it that Chevy can sell a engine this size but Ford can't?

Dean, I hope you are wrong... XLT Lariat would get the job done for me. I need the truck to do a job, not impress the neighbors. but you are probably right. Why is it that Chevy can sell a engine this size but Ford can't?

like I said I'm speculating...but something tells me in Chevies case the bigger engine is also limited to specific models no?.........personally I'm REALLY curious about how the eco and 5.0 duel pans out....

like I said I'm speculating...but something tells me in Chevies case the bigger engine is also limited to specific models no?.........personally I'm REALLY curious about how the eco and 5.0 duel pans out....

GM would have to be eyeing the coming tougher CAFE levels for Trucks, they have to start transitioning buyers onto vehicles/engines that are a better fit with their go forward plans. They can't rely on ultra efficient crossovers to mop up the CAFE mess caused by big thirsty truck engines...

Edited by jpd80

Price tag for Ford EcoBoost: $700

Amy Wilson

Automotive News

August 18, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. will charge a premium of around $700 for its much-touted EcoBoost engine system when it goes on sale in 2009.

A 3.5-liter V-6 with EcoBoost will arrive next year on the Lincoln MKS sedan and Ford Flex crossover.

The V-6 with EcoBoost is slated for the Ford F-150 in 2010, and the pickup application will produce "significantly more" than 340 hp and 340 pounds-feet of torque, said Brett Hinds, Ford's advanced engine design manager. That tops the 300-hp rating of the largest engine -- a 5.4- liter V-8 -- in the current F-150.

EcoBoost technology combines turbocharging and gasoline direct injection. A V-6 with EcoBoost gets as much as 20 percent better fuel economy than a conventional V-8, Ford says. It also improves performance and will enable the company to replace V-8s with V-6s and V-6s with four-cylinder engines.

The fuel savings will enable buyers to recoup the premium paid for EcoBoost technology within two years, Hinds said. When going from a V-8 to a V-6 with EcoBoost, Ford estimates annual savings at $339 when driving 15,000 miles per year with gasoline costing $3.25 a gallon.

continue at the link

Ecoboost was formally introduced at the Detroit Auto Show in Jan., '08 and that is where I heard Ford brass tout $700 figure. I find it astounding that Amy Wilson would be quoting that figure six months later. Ford had a long time to disclaim that number to Amy before she wrote above article. If I really looked, I could probably find Feep and DN sources to that number also as I read it in Detroit papers also. Never saw a Ford disclaimer. AND AGAIN, I FIND $995 FOR ECOBOOST VERY REASONABLE AND DON'T PERSONALLY HOLD FORD TO THAT NUMBER.

And..................you are the village idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I checked the Ford Europe Mondeo price list. Where a 2.0, EB 2.0 and Diesel 2.0 were offered in the same model, the Ecoboost 2.0 and Diesel 2.0 are very close in price and around 2,300 pounds dearer than the standard 2.0 gas engine.

Not the US i know but it shows that Ford are not prepared to give Ecoboost technology away for free,

they're convinced that people are willing to pay a premium to get impressive performance and great economy.

Edited by jpd80

So what are we looking at for a price difference between the 3.7L and the 5.0L? It's hard to tell in the Mustang with the way the base cars are configured but I'm thinking somewhere between $1000 to $2000 more for the 5.0L over the 3.7L in the F-150 right?

So what are we looking at for a price difference between the 3.7L and the 5.0L? It's hard to tell in the Mustang with the way the base cars are configured but I'm thinking somewhere between $1000 to $2000 more for the 5.0L over the 3.7L in the F-150 right?

In my experience with Ford and other brands, upgrading from the base engine to the next larger optional engine in a pick-up generally costs in the $1000 to $1500 range.

Here are my guesses as far as power and availability

3.7L (305hp, 280lb-ft) - XL, STX, XLT

5.0L (370hp, 380lb-ft) - XL, STX, XLT, FX4, Lariat, KR, Platinum

6.2L (411hp, 434lb-ft) - Platinum, Raptor, HD

3.5L EB (400hp, 400lb-ft) - XLT, Lariat, KR, Platinum

Well, my predictions were pretty close. The real numbers are:

3.7L: 300hp, 275lb-ft (XL, STX, XLT)

5.0L: 360hp, 380lb-ft (All except HD and Raptor)

6.2L: 411hp, 434lb-ft (Lariat, Plat, HD, Raptor)

3.5L: TBD (All except HD and Raptor)

Edited by atvman

They will be revealed at the Texas State Fair. Considering it gets a higher tow rating than the 5.0L, expect the power and torque numbers to surpass those of the 5.0L.

Should be very interesting, the EB 3.5L will beat most of its V8 competition and get much better MPGs to boot!

Choices, choices! If I were in the market, would I go with the 6.2L or the 3.5L EB (Lariat w/Max Tow)? Hmmm...guess I'd just have to drive them first and compare power/fuel economy numbers...

My thoughts exactly.

I'll really have to test out the EB 3.5L and 6.2L to see which performs better here at 5280+ feet. If as reliable towing as it is stated to be, the EB 3.5L may be the better choice in towing in our Rocky Mtns.

The article said the EB motor would get 20% better fuel economy over the outgoing 5.4L V8. It's rated at 14 city/20 highway, so if I did my math right, the EB F-150 could theoretically be rated at 16 city/24 highway (I rounded down the city mileage, as 14 * 20% is 2.8), going from an average of 17mpgs to 20mpgs ? That's awesome!