Most American Car?

It's not April 1st is it?

Let hope the Chinese made all American Denso plants that supply US Camry kit cars from China hits US supply chain soon with it strikes somebody will have to eat their hat, Denso China are killing component suppliers jobs worldwide..

Awesome all American F-150 & Mustang the good stuff we don't get, we assemble Toyota cars in the UK but glad to say we don't buy their dangerous junk in Europe sales dropped 23% last month.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

What's even scarier is that good old apple pie F150 American parts percentage

have fallen from 80% to 55% so it no longer makes the list (<75%).

First and foremost, the Toyota Camry is (somewhat ironically) still at the top of the American Made Index. But second place is a bit of a surprise, with the Honda Accord making a debut appearance in the runner-up position. Notably, it takes the place of the Ford F-150, which falls off the list entirely.

Why the sudden change? It seems the Accord now boasts a 75-percent American parts percentage (which is the minimum allowable to make this list) as it is now being assembled in two separate plants based in the United States. Ford's F-150, however, saw its American parts percentage fall from 80 percent down to just 55 percent – a scenario Ford calls "pretty common."

Pretty Common?

Go tell that to the American truck buyer.....

Toyota Camry is #1?

I'd be curious to know the measurements (and how they weigh them) to arrive at that.

This is how it works. When Toyota sources a part or assembly from a Toyota owned supplier that has a US facility, even it was made on a Japanese sourced tool with imported steel, as long as that part is "assembled" in the US, it's a US part. It's a big shell game and gives people the warm & fuzzies while driving their "American as Apple Pie" Toyota Camry.

I bought an import last year and have a 2011 on order. Both are a Fusion

It will be interesting to see what the American content will be on the new Kuga and Focus.

If Toyota is so "American," then why are these China work stoppages shutting down Toyota assembly operations here. One after another. Looks to me like China makes lots of parts for Toyota vehicles. And of course Toyota still makes lots of vehicles in Japan that are shipped here. And last I looked, Toyota was still based in Japan and run by Japanese men. Toyota USA is just a division of corporate Toyota based in Japan. Journalists seem to forget that and see Toyota as Toyota USA only. Toyota USA has become an integral part of American life and employs thousands of Americans, but Toyota is still a foreign based company like Samsung, LG, and whatever. I wish them luck, but I don't buy anything they make no matter where they are made, even Michigan. I will stick with American based companies and buy American made if possible. I was thinking about buying a Fusion, but will wait for new generation Focus because it's assembled here in Michigan. The Fusion is a better buy for the money and a more comfortable vehicle, but when given a choice I go as American as possible. My little statement. No Japanese or Korean in my house or in garage.

This is how it works. When Toyota sources a part or assembly from a Toyota owned supplier that has a US facility, even it was made on a Japanese sourced tool with imported steel, as long as that part is "assembled" in the US, it's a US part. It's a big shell game and gives people the warm & fuzzies while driving their "American as Apple Pie" Toyota Camry.

This applies to any automotive OEM selling cars in the United States - Toyota, Ford, Volkswagen, etc, etc. These companies represent the archetypal global corporation, with operations that span the world over, and they source from vendors/suppliers that are "global" as well.

It is indeed a shell game and should be irrelevant to customers. The American Automobile Labeling Act and related provisions that force automakers to disclose this information should be repealed.

This applies to any automotive OEM selling cars in the United States - Toyota, Ford, Volkswagen, etc, etc. These companies represent the archetypal global corporation, with operations that span the world over, and they source from vendors/suppliers that are "global" as well.

It is indeed a shell game and should be irrelevant to customers. The American Automobile Labeling Act and related provisions that force automakers to disclose this information should be repealed.

I agree. I think the reason that GM, Ford & Chrysler don't worry about it as much is because they have less incentive to do so. For example, when Toyota was getting all their tax breaks from San Antonio to build the Tundra plant, they promised that most of the parts & assemblies will be made on site. What they didn't say was that most of these on site suppliers were Toyota owned. The frame rails for the Tundra are made in Mexico with Chinese steel and get shipped in on rail. When the cross member gets attached at the supplier, it becomes a US made frame. What a bunch a BS.

I guarantee others would do the same if the incentive was there.

Japanese cars such as Camrys and Accords can never be top American cars simply because they are not American. It does not matter how much they source from Japanese owned plants located in America, they are still not American.

Look at it this way:

Ichiro Suzuki plays baseball here in America. Could he be included in the top 10 American baseball players list? – No, not until he becomes an American citizen, which will never happen.

He could however be included in: The top (x number) players playing in America list.

The media chooses incorrect words and phrases, and then this incorrect perception becomes generally accepted when heard over and over. I'm not falling for it - never!

Edited by Kev-Mo

As an F-150 owner (3x), I too find this pretty disturbing. Besides some wiring harnesses, the radio, coolers (radiator, condenser, etc.) can anyone tell us what major parts of the F-150 are not made in the USA aside from the Windsor engine? If this is a trend that will continue, I am truly disgusted. Need to keep as many jobs in the USA as possible!

Pretty Common?

Consider:

What happens if the company you buy seats from moves its plant to Mexico?

What happens if the company that supplies the frame moves its plant to Canada?

And so on and so forth.

With the upheaval in the supplier community, it doesn't surprise me that the percentage of 'American' parts would vary from one year to the next.

Consider:

What happens if the company you buy seats from moves its plant to Mexico?

What happens if the company that supplies the frame moves its plant to Canada?

And so on and so forth.

With the upheaval in the supplier community, it doesn't surprise me that the percentage of 'American' parts would vary from one year to the next.

I follow that but I can feel a Mexican Focus Vs US Camry debate brewing.

I remember the last time that happened almost everyone agreed that the

true measure of an American car/auto maker was where the motor company

was based and where it paid its taxes....

If Toyota is so "American," then why are these China work stoppages shutting down Toyota assembly operations here. One after another. Looks to me like China makes lots of parts for Toyota vehicles. And of course Toyota still makes lots of vehicles in Japan that are shipped here. And last I looked, Toyota was still based in Japan and run by Japanese men. Toyota USA is just a division of corporate Toyota based in Japan. Journalists seem to forget that and see Toyota as Toyota USA only. Toyota USA has become an integral part of American life and employs thousands of Americans, but Toyota is still a foreign based company like Samsung, LG, and whatever. I wish them luck, but I don't buy anything they make no matter where they are made, even Michigan. I will stick with American based companies and buy American made if possible. I was thinking about buying a Fusion, but will wait for new generation Focus because it's assembled here in Michigan. The Fusion is a better buy for the money and a more comfortable vehicle, but when given a choice I go as American as possible. My little statement. No Japanese or Korean in my house or in garage.

Even if more Americans workers are employed and more American taxes are paid?

Edited by mettech

What American taxes are paid?

Income taxes by the employees? Surely you jest.

What is your guess: Are more USA income taxes paid for a 3.5L Camry or a 3.5L Fusion? And that includes all white and blue collar jobs.

We won't get into the compounding factor of the employees sales tax they pay and the local jobs they support and create due to their income.shades.gif

Just a note: A Japanese plant in southern Indiana makes products not only for Toyota and Subaru cars/trucks, but also for the American 3.

Here is a 2009 article from CNN favors buying American 3 products no matter where they are made is still better. CNN

For 2010, it appears that the balance is tipping the other way.

What is your guess: Are more USA income taxes paid for a 3.5L Camry or a 3.5L Fusion? And that includes all white and blue collar jobs.

You're kidding, right?

First of all, if your measure of value is income taxes, then you should be a raving fan of the UAW since their members ostensibly earn more and therefore pay more income tax.

Secondly, there are a heckuva lot more US based white collar employees attached to the Fusion than the Camry. And, given the American sourcing of the Fusion engine and transmission, vs the Japanese sourcing of both in the Camry, the blue collar difference isn't as big as you'd like to believe.

Thirdly, the idea that an employer should get credit for the income taxes paid by its employees (and their jobs multiplier) suggests that, absent that employer, said employees would be jobless. Such is manifestly not the case. Going by today's unemployment rates, 90% of the employees of any Toyota plant would be working elsewhere, if not for the Toyota plant. Toyota should only get credit for the 10% overage, and the difference between their average pay and the regional average.

Edited by RichardJensen

And, given the American sourcing of the Fusion engine and transmission, vs the Japanese sourcing of both in the Camry, the blue collar difference isn't as big as you'd like to believe.

In the example that mettech cited (3.5L Fusion & 3.5L Camry), the AALA sourcing information off the respective window stickers is as follows:

2010 Fusion 3.5L

• Engine: U.S.
  • Transmission: Japan
  • U.S. Canada Parts Content: 25%

2010 Camry 3.5L

• Engine: U.S.
  • Transmission: U.S.
  • U.S. Canada Parts Content: 80%

Other powertrain combinations for both cars will differ in terms of source country for the engine and tranny.