Ford Said to Plan End of Forgotten Mercury

1) A few folks keep referring to Mercury buyers as an older group of buyers. Well guess what, check the population demographics and the nation (along with many other countries) are getting older. People aren't having as many children, but are living much longer. If I were a car exec, I would plan to market to those folks.

Not when the "older folks" (which I myself, in my late 30s, am beginning to consider myself, although obviously I'm not really there yet, I'd think) think that the cars are for their parents. Sure, the nation is aging, but you still need to change the perception about the cars to this aging group rather than expecting them to simply abandon their "younger cars" for "older cars."

Of course, Ford has never had much of a problem making me a Mercury customer (see my list of cars), but this was back when a day when the Sable was considered a revolutionary car. (An appearance as the Coneheads' car certainly didn't hurt that perception, I think, although I had long wanted a Sable before that. :shades: ) Ford's product portfolio these days is heading back to a perception of Ford as being technologically advanced. But given that, I'm not sure that it is possible to make Lincoln/Mercury seem even more advanced.

Edited by nelsonlu

Alas poor Mercury...I drove ye well.

All I have to say is that I'll be happy once the Panther winds up in the big automotive graveyard in the sky...then I don't have listen to these ridiculous arguments that their fans spout out...ok well I don't now, but they wont have to post either

What ridiculous arguments? That some of us prefer traditional comfort to underwhelming FWD platforms? Let's ditch Mustang too! Oh well, I guess losing a few hundred thousand buyers won't mean much to Ford.

BTW, far more greyhairs drive Toyotas and Buicks than Mercuries. I don't think you are allowed to test drive the Avalon unless you can produce an AARP card! :hysterical:

I expected Mercury to disappear with the MGM. There is no place for mid-level brands anymore. GM will only make it so far with Buick/GMC, probably long enough to consolidate all of their lots to Cadillac/Buick/GMC or Chevrolet/Buick/GMC before they axe the brands. Nothing but MGM had any market appeal from Mercury. Sure, guys like me might shop only because we prefer the Waterfall grille to the Gillete razor, but they were basically selling Fords.

Ah well, we'll always have the past together. At three cars, Mercury is my current "most owned" brand. Kinda hurts my chances with Ford though, I can't bring myself to love the razorblades. I guess I may look elsewhere for my next vehicle.

Wasn't Fords plan for Mercury to be the competitor to cars like the Audi A3, A4, BMW X3 segment and Lincoln in the larger segment Audi 5 & 6 etc?

How? Those are luxury cars. Better to build Lincolns at that size.

Edited by WC Man

Ford has divested itself of all luxury brands acquired under Nasser, Ford does not want to be in the luxury car business. Alan Mulally has dropped many hints that Ford brand is his primary goal ahead of any other remaining brands.

Make of that what you want but if companies don add to Ford's bottom line of if they add unnecessary complication or duplication, they don't seem to have a future with the new Ford.

Chasing customer that want to buy Fords or

pandering to a few who would never consider one,

not hard to guess which group Mulally wants to seek out....

Edited by jpd80

Posted by me on "the other" thread discussing Fords remaining premium brands...

I had always thought that "The Plan" for Lincoln (and Mercury) was as follows....

Lincoln:

MKZ moves to a RWD platform ala CTS, with an MKR stablemate in coupe cabriolet form.

MKX grows in size to replace departing Mountaineer

MKS continues on and adds a 6" stretch version for the "black car" market (call the 6" stretch version Town Car)

Ditto for MKT.

Navigator continues with updates.

Mercury:

Tracer comes out with upscale accoutrements because who on earth would buy a Focus "Platinum".

Two door version of the Focus coupe cabriolet as the new Sable.

Station wagon version of Tracer.

Milan that continues on as a stable mate to Fusion but is allowed to get better content now that MKZ has gone RWD.

Milan wagon.

Mariner version of Kuga.

Mountaineer name returns on a stable mate of Edge. (remember, MKX went to a longer chassis for more room)

Finally, Grand Marquis returns on a 6" stretch platform of Taurus with styling cues that make it completely distinct from Taurus.

The big problem with all of this is Ford saying its position hasn't changed. No doubt they do a strategic review at regular intervals to see what market research is telling them about where brands like Lincoln and Mercury are heading and what customers are wanting. Until Ford says something supporting Mercury and Lincoln, the press is going to go wild with speculation. They put up believable alternate scenarios that people then assume are leaked directives from within the company and the internet becomes a buzz with deranged ideas.

Let's all just wait a bit and see what Ford actually proposes to do with Mercury and Lincoln going forward...

Edited by jpd80

... the press is going to go wild with speculation....
...again!

Wonder if there's EVER been another Brand that got sooo much press while not getting any new product? :shades:

FACE IT FORD, MERC HAS MORE CHARISMA THAN F & L PUT TOGETHER :rant::stirpot::finger:1.gif

...again!

Wonder if there's EVER been another Brand that got sooo much press while not getting any new product? :shades:

FACE IT FORD, MERC HAS MORE CHARISMA THAN F & L PUT TOGETHER :rant::stirpot::finger:1.gif

I've been thinking the same thing the last couple days. If Mercury is so "dead," then why is news about Mercury plastered everywhere? The Mercury story is a monster. As far as I can see, everybody knows the Mercury brand well and everybody cares enough to cover the story and discuss it. Mercury is huge.

My feelings for Mercury have pretty much always been as follows:

Premium vehicles tend to fall on two ends of a spectrum:

Comfort < ---------------- | ---------------- > Performance

I've always viewed Lincoln as existing on the Comfort end of the spectrum. Mercury has occasionally dabbled in the performance side, but usually tends to stick to being another Ford trim level.

I'd like to see Lincoln have the following vehicles:

MKS, MKS-EB

MKT

Navigator (as long as there is an expedition)

MKX

Nothing more. Lincoln tried to do something special in the LS, but failed miserably, largely due to brand positioning and somewhat because of internal politics. There is no room in Lincoln for a MKZ. It sells now largely because it fills the spot that the Milan should be filling. They're trying to force Lincoln to be a volume brand, and that just isn't a recipe for success with the brand identity that Lincoln has. Ford doesn't have the money to pour into a marketing blitz for years to change Lincoln's image.

I'd like to see Mercury have the following vehicles:

Tracer (sedan, hatch, sportwagon)

Milan (sedan)

Cougar (Milan coupe as basis)

Mariner (keeps the sporty side of the Kuga)

Meteor (more performance oriented version of the Edge)

I want all of those (mercury) vehicles to have both volume versions and tuned up performance versions. They need to be marketed against other vehicles that have performance reps like the BMW 3 series, X3, Audi A4/S4, A6/S6, Q5, Mercedes C class, GLK, Acura.

Basically, the idea is to have something in a lincoln/mercury dealership for every type of premium car buyer without having one brand that has to be everything to everyone. Lincoln was never supposed to be a volume brand. That was mercury's job. By not giving Mercury a volume vehicle like a tracer, and reducing their lineup to just 3 or so vehicles, you destroyed their volume position. Treat the brands like what they're supposed to be and there will be success.

.......... until Ford says something supporting Mercury and Lincoln, the press is going to go wild with speculation. They put up believable alternate scenarios that people then assume are leaked directives from within the company and the internet becomes a buzz with deranged ideas.

You're right of course, we're jumping to conclusions based on a leak, but we had the exact some discussion a few years ago when it was first suggested that Ford was considering selling Volvo. Many people on this forum, me included, argued that there would be no way that Ford ever would sell Volvo. Fast forward to 2010, and Volvo is 99% gone.

The current on-going product review doesn't mean anything, but I'm in the "if there's smoke, there's a fire" camp. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Mercury is killed.

In my view, the only way for Lincoln to survive long term is for Ford to build an all new platform unique to Lincoln only. Preferably a RWD biased platform with AWD option. Without PAG anymore, Ford should have the money to do it. Also, give Lincoln its own designers and engineers separate from the Ford brand. They should also get their own unique engines. For $50,000+, there is no other way IMO. I would never spend $40,000+ plus for a gussied up Fusion called an MKZ. No way. And over $50,000 for a gussied up Taurus called the MKS. No way. No wonder Ford can't sell many MKZ's and S's. With PAG gone, Ford has no more excuses on why Mercurys and Lincolns are just rebadged Fords. Take the time and money to make Lincoln unique. If not, then kill it off. In an 11 million auto market that is ruthlessly competitive, rebadged anything is a losing proposition. Ford has to start playing for keeps or LM will just die on the vine.

• Like 1

I would never spend $40,000+ plus for a gussied up Fusion called an MKZ. No way. And over $50,000 for a gussied up Taurus called the MKS. No way. No wonder Ford can't sell many MKZ's and S's.

That sure doesn't seem to be hurting Audi with there A1, A4, TT and other models that are based off VW based cars.

This is the kind of Market Research ford would be doing:

Consider:

• who your customer is
  • how they perceive your product/service
  • benefits to customers
  • features most valued by customers
  • life cycle of the product/service and the risk of substitution.

Then consider the impact on the business of:

• location of the main market
  • size of the market (is it growing or shrinking?)
  • characteristics of the market (gender, aspirations, propensity to spend)
  • changing social trends and attitudes
  • technology developments and emergence of substitutes.

So what held true a few short years ago can change completely with the likes of

a huge economic shift, the cost of fuel or the impact of government regulations

or even shifts in buying trends like the end of the SUV Craze.

That is why it's crucial for businesses like Ford to continually re evaluate their involvement in

companies like Lincoln and Mercury, they may be heritage and revered within the company but

that won't save them if Ford perceives that market is going away from them....

Equally, if Ford can see a way of providing new and exciting products that can re vitalize sales

in those makes, they can identify the needs and how many people are likely to buy them...

Edited by jpd80

Luxury is now a game for the young

What? They stopped making old people? Old people are all flat busted broke?

The age group with the highest aggregate net worth is the oldest age group. That hasn't changed.

As GM has conclusively demonstrated by chasing and failing to connect with younger buyers, there's damn little to be gained in chasing the CREDIT (not the purchasing power) of 30-somethings.

The MKZ is crtical and Lincoln has utterly failed to take this product seriously and seems content to thinly disguise a Fusion, which itself is a mediocre cosmetic dinosaur in this very competitive market.

And the Camry is what, exactly? And the ES-350?

They keep treating their most import cars with the least investment

So they're ignoring the F150, eh? News to me.

ohsnap.gif

This coming from a guy who would not work for Korean wages, but wants Ford products to carry Korean prices.

Lexus just does a better job of hiding the platform. All the body panels are different than their Toy siblings...Maybe Ford will need to invest more in Lincoln to pull similar results.

I don't see how MKS/Taurus and MKZ/Fusion are any less different than ES/Camry, appearance-wise.

I don't see how MKS/Taurus and MKZ/Fusion are any less different than ES/Camry, appearance-wise.

The ES is better differentiated than the MKZ/Fusion (which still share their greenhouse).

But Lexus is the most practical model for Lincoln to emulate. It's NA only, and very successful here.

The ES is better differentiated than the MKZ/Fusion (which still share their greenhouse).

But Lexus is the most practical model for Lincoln to emulate. It's NA only, and very successful here.

Lexus is also sold in Europe and Asia.

You are right though, the majority are sold in North America.

Richard, were you meaning that the ES doesn't share it's greenhouse with the Camry?? Cause every ES I have ever seen has had the same greenhouse shape/design as its plebian Camry cousin...Just wondering what you meant.

I hate to put out such a generalized statement, but I think the Lexus/Toyota fans are also much less well educated in all things automotive. Some of my coworkers who own Lexuses are shocked (or offended =) when they're told of their Lexus's roots! :hysterical:

That being said, I don't disagree with emulating Lexus to a point, but competing with Cadillac and the more mass marketed BMW/ Mercedes models would be a good strategy too. (I mean NOT the M, AMG models) Not all MB owners are 'uber-loyal' to Mercedes... and with the current economy a slight bit downscaling might be appreciated.

Lexus just does a better job of hiding the platform. All the body panels are different than their Toy siblings...Maybe Ford will need to invest more in Lincoln to pull similar results.

The interiors also. Leathered interiors instead of plastic never-never-land. Plus I remember a few niche Lexuses too, like the SC(?) that Michael Jordan's father had. Also, Lexus really does have a very slick advertising plan. Everyone knows that 'Lexus voice' and it's been around since the beginning, conveying a(n albeit false) sense of unwavering stability & permanence.