2011 GT500 runs VIR in 2:58.5 (with video!)

I personally think that driver wasn't the greatest. He broke a lot of basic rules of road racing, like not shifting mid-corner and keeping both hands on the wheel when you're not shifting. But oh well, nice lap still - even if he was a little sloppy!

Edited by SVT_MAN

Obviously a person who isn't a race driver, he was taking some odd lines into corners,

poor gear selection and causing the car to slide out of corners

losing time everywhere....

I would love to see what a professional racer's time in the car would be.

Edited by jpd80

I've heard a lot of people criticizing the driving skills of this guy. Anybody who can break 3 minutes around that track in a production car must have a clue. Yes, the lap looked sloppy, but how much of that was because the car itself is a handful to drive? I want to see what it runs at C&D's Lightning Lap this year, I bet it won't be much different than this time.

Here's another GT500 video, this one shows a launch of the car. It appears to get off the line more cleanly than the 2010, which was its biggest weak point. I guess the reviews of this car will be out this coming week, could it break into the 11s? Also, what are the odds of this engine getting TiVCT in the near future? It sounds like TiVCT offers about a 10% gain in power over Ford's old DOHC set-up, which should be good for 600hp in the Shelby.

Edited by atvman

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/18/video-2011-ford-gt500-spanks-last-years-model-by-nine-seconds/

Ford promised it would beat the 2010 by 3 seconds, they were obviously sand bagging. Here is a list of cars the 2011 GT500's time beats:

Audi R8 V10

Corvette GS

Porsche 911 Turbo

Porsche 911 Carrera S

Lotus Exige

And many more

Yeah, just one of your F development drivers having a "bad day". We'll set up any Indy style "shoot out". All of the fast 9 drivers from here can go at it until we run out of cars, tires or until you need a change of underwear. I think you'll have a pretty hard time besting 2:58 at VIR.

The video, while providing a great perspective of VIR, is shot in wide angle format, which flattens out the track (camber and sightline) and would serve to explain some of the driver inputs that you see. And the rest; it is a heavy car, at speed, which has to be a handfull, even if 120lbs lighter in the front. And while Goodyear did a great job on the tires I'm, sure, they have to be at their limit trying to put/keep power down through undullations and camber changes.

Line forms to the left.............