Hyundai Fullsize Pickup?

RangerM

Is Hyundai really considering full-size pickup truck?

Is Hyundai about to repeat the mistakes of Toyota and Nissan? PickupTrucks.com reports that Hyundai has been showing off a modified Dodge Ram pickup at some consumer clinics to gauge interest in such a product. This wouldn't be the first time the Koreans have looked down this road. A midsize pickup based on the new Kia Sorento had been considered before being killed off two years ago. Tackling the full-size truck market could be an even more perilous endeavor.

Hyundai Ram? Fail.

I'm not sure the Tundra failed, I think it was more the fault of the economy that kept their numbers down. If I remember right, the Tundra was selling at 25,000 a month for a time. If the economy didn't fall into the crapper, I think the Tundra would have been a much bigger headache for the F-150.

I'm not sure the Tundra failed, I think it was more the fault of the economy that kept their numbers down. If I remember right, the Tundra was selling at 25,000 a month for a time. If the economy didn't fall into the crapper, I think the Tundra would have been a much bigger headache for the F-150.

25,000 an month? They wanted to sell 200,000 a YEAR and they haven't been close. Economy may not have helped but that doesn't explain it's freefall down.

April sales were 8949 for the mighty Tundra. You know, the truck that was going to take Ford and GM to school on full size trucks. :hysterical:

25,000 an month? They wanted to sell 200,000 a YEAR and they haven't been close. Economy may not have helped but that doesn't explain it's freefall down.

April sales were 8949 for the mighty Tundra. You know, the truck that was going to take Ford and GM to school on full size trucks. :hysterical:

I believe after a modest start and a heavy TV ad campaign, they actually reached 199,000 their first year. WAAAYYY more successful than Titan. Then the economy ran aground and everything slowed down. But they were on their way to being VERY competitive with F150's, much to my dismay. If the economy starts pulling some higher rpm's, I fear the Tundra will again start selling in MUCH greater numbers, more like HALF of F-series and not like the one fourth or one fifth that the Tundra is doing NOW.

Just would like to add that how many Tundras are sold in the future will, in part, be tied to what the 9 (on loan) NASA scientists say about Toyotas unintended acceleration this summer. If the report is negative and it's shown that the Toyota drive by wire is a problem, then that will impact Toyota's reputation and cause a bashlash.

Edited by ford-boy

I believe after a modest start and a heavy TV ad campaign, they actually reached 199,000 their first year. WAAAYYY more successful than Titan. Then the economy ran aground and everything slowed down. But they were on their way to being VERY competitive with F150's, much to my dismay. If the economy starts pulling some higher rpm's, I fear the Tundra will again start selling in MUCH greater numbers, more like HALF of F-series and not like the one fourth or one fifth that the Tundra is doing NOW.

Just would like to add that how many Tundras are sold in the future will, in part, be tied to what the 9 (on loan) NASA scientists say about Toyotas unintended acceleration this summer. If the report is negative and it's shown that the Toyota drive by wire is a problem, then that will impact Toyota's reputation and cause a bashlash.

it also took close to a year before serious reliability issues reared their head. camshafts, body flex, etc. truck buyers want a reliable truck since thats how a lot of them make their living. convincing someone to switch to a less reliable, more expensive truck is no small task.

I believe after a modest start and a heavy TV ad campaign, they actually reached 199,000 their first year.

And then fell off a cliff--and not just because of the economy. The Tundra is a terrible truck. TERRIBLE. It has exactly the market share it deserves.

If you think the Tundra is going to bounce back because the economy is showing signs of life, then you must not have logged enough seat time in a Tundra to appreciate just how bad it is---at everything, except unladen straightline acceleration down a dragstrip.

Edited by RichardJensen

And then fell off a cliff--and not just because of the economy. The Tundra is a terrible truck. TERRIBLE. It has exactly the market share it deserves.

If you think the Tundra is going to bounce back because the economy is showing signs of life, then you must not have logged enough seat time in a Tundra to appreciate just how bad it is---at everything, except unladen straightline acceleration down a dragstrip.

I hope you are right because NOTHING makes me happier than to see Ford SPANK Toyota every month. There are lots of stupid people out there and we all know ya' can't cure stupid.

How about parallelogramming tailgates and many other issues with the Tundra? Good motor, but not much else. Yeah, I look for the Asians to try another assault on the American full sized pickup market. With the Domestics assaulting the small and mid sized car market and controlling the pickup market which is more profitable, the Asians have to try something.

I hope you are right because NOTHING makes me happier than to see Ford SPANK Toyota every month. There are lots of stupid people out there and we all know ya' can't cure stupid.

Look at it this way:

Ford's leadership over Toyota in the fullsize truck sector is dang near insurmountable.

Understand that, while people are stupid, they are not so stupid as to miss fundamental differences in performance. Those that traded F150s for Tundras could not, as a class, be immune to the fundamental inadequacies of the Tundra.

The Tundra is, quite simply, a cheaply built and significantly less flexible truck.

This is not lost on those who traded into the Tundra from other brands.

Now, you are always going to have churn--people that, in a tiff, a quest for a bargain, or for whatever reason leave your brand and go elsewhere.

However, the Tundra, vs. the GMs and even the Dodge, represents about the worst choice one could make, if abandoning Ford.

A Ford customer switching to Toyota (for whatever reason) will, I would guess, be more likely to come back to Ford than a customer switching to GM or Dodge.

These trucks are just not good. They are not significantly lighter than the F150, and they are not more fuel efficient, yet they are less durably built. If you can figure out how they managed to build a vehicle both heavy and weak, well, you could write a book on how not to build trucks.

Edited by RichardJensen

How do you figure that? Ford used to sell 800,000 F-Series pickups/year when the economy was normal to good. Now with super bad economy Ford is selling about 400,000 pickups/year with Toyota selling about 100,000/year or so. If the construction industry comes back full force, Ford F-Series sales should go to at least 650,000/year and Toyota to maybe 175,000/year. No way would Tundra get to 50% of F-Series sales no matter what the economy does. And to make matters worse for Tundra, Toyota has no superduty version and no diesel like Ford. And soon Ford will have Ecoboost V6 and a 5.0 Liter V8 for F-150 making it even more competitive.