1995 Contour/Mystique Fans

In late 1994, I requested information from Ford about the upcoming Contour. They sent me a nice package containing a VHS tape and brochure on the Tempo replacement. I had discarded this video years ago but just found it on YouTube and it's a hoot to watch! My how times have changed. In 1995 I was shopping for a new car and chose a V6, 5-speed Mystique instead of the Contour and Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Cirrus. The '95 Mystique was so fun to drive and kept for almost 8 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gKJVgEV3jY

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Wow! That brings back memories.

I had a '95 Mystique LS w/ V6 and automatic. I really liked that car. Later, I got a '99 Mystique LS w/ V6 and automatic. Unfortunately, that one was plagued with electrical issues. Liked the '95 more than the '99.

Thanks for the memories!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I test drove an SVT Contour and it was one of the greatest drives I've ever had. Beautiful car to drive, and the engine was hot. Someone up the street has one growing moss on it in front of their house (everything grows moss on it here if left untended for more than a week).

My Step-Mother owned a 98(?) Contour Sport and my Wife's Grandmother has a Mystique. Both are D25 (V6 not the MZR/D25 I4) and 4 Auto.

The Contour/Mystique conversation was the reason I joined BON. I loved these cars in 95 and was sad to see them go. I felt they deserved more but I am happy where Ford is now.

Yeah I have a 98 ford contour base with the gas saver 2.0. Good little car, and drives great despite 140k The interior rattles less than the 2004 monte carlo SS I bought to replace it (Door panels rattle from bass) Does have a lot of little problems though, glove box handle exploded, key cylinder sticks, and the driver door handle sometimes decides not to open the door. Had a 400$ fuel regulator senser go out on it too... x.x

But the cheap interior holds up really well to abuse, is super clean, and oh yeah, it's great on gas.

My Step-Mother owned a 98(?) Contour Sport and my Wife's Grandmother has a Mystique. Both are D25 (V6 not the MZR/D25 I4) and 4 Auto.

The Contour/Mystique conversation was the reason I joined BON. I loved these cars in 95 and was sad to see them go. I felt they deserved more but I am happy where Ford is now.

Think of the Fusion as the spiritual successor to the Contour. Ford knew they needed a sub-Taurus and above-Focus vehicle for awhile, but as long as DN101 Taurus was still around, the pricing structure in Ford's lineup really didn't allow it.

• Like 1

I had a 1998 SVT Contour E1, was my favorite car. I still have the brochure that talks about all the technology that went into the engine like powdered metal rods, the dual stage intake, hotter cams, etc.

Funny. Those were some of the same things touted in my Cobra too. Coincidentally enough though, the cams are the only one of those 3 things still left in the car. :lol:

Think of the Fusion as the spiritual successor to the Contour. Ford knew they needed a sub-Taurus and above-Focus vehicle for awhile, but as long as DN101 Taurus was still around, the pricing structure in Ford's lineup really didn't allow it.

No argument from here Nick. I agree.