Ford to reveal details of new Interceptor this Friday at Las Vegas

That's not the auguement, what were talking is rather the new P.I. will be a Taurus with features you described, a 5.0/6-speed auto Panther with new bodywork or a early version of the upcoming Falcon/Mustang platform with the 5.0/6-speed auto.

Oh and how will if fail if it is a Taurus....

I had an interesting conversation with a rep from the Chicago Taurus plant at the Chicago Auto Show last month. He was tight-lipped at first but told me a few things that I suppose may or may not be true but they were interesting. Since he wouldn't say much, I offered that I figured the next PI would be Taurus based with the new 3.7L V6 and AWD. I said I didn't think Ford would even consider the SHO engine due to its cost and complexity. He would only offer the following:

* The PI would be built on a "heavily revised current model"

* It would be built at the Chicago plant

* It would have more power than the SHO V6

* Ford hadn't discussed AWD even as an option

From this I deduced that:

* It will be Taurus based

* It will be powered by the new 5.0L V8

* It will be RWD

They could use the older Taurus body since it wouldn't look like the new and expensive one, while also offering more interior and cargo room.Since it already offers AWD, with "heavy revisions" it's quite possible to make it a RWD vehicle.

We'll see Friday morning!

* It will be RWD

They could use the older Taurus body since it wouldn't look like the new and expensive one, while also offering more interior and cargo room.Since it already offers AWD, with "heavy revisions" it's quite possible to make it a RWD vehicle.

The cost of modifying 5.0 V8 to sit sideways and somehow shoehorned in the D3 for which it was not designed to handle is next to impossible to fathom. Not to mention D3 is not designed for RWD... just because a platform can handle AWD, doesn't mean it can be converted to RWD. If Ford was going to sunk this much money into making what is in effect a dedicated platform, it sure as hell won't be a low volume, low profit margin, fleet sale only car!

hopes for Falcon, hopes for Falcon, hopes for Falcon

yet still thinks it isn't. Heavily revised would certainly be necessitated for a LHD model though :D. Still aint gonna happen.

Sorry but the RWD ship sailed in 2008, Ford knows that a lot of PDs wanted RWD but now comes the big convincing that FWD/AWD can cover almost all of their needs....

You know, the next 18 months are going to be real interesting as Ford and GM both pony up for the PD contracts, I can imagine the hard sell will start with access to serious seat time in front of official sales.

It's like watching politicians before an election except Ford and GM ain't kissing babies....

I had an interesting conversation with a rep from the Chicago Taurus plant at the Chicago Auto Show last month. He was tight-lipped at first but told me a few things that I suppose may or may not be true but they were interesting. Since he wouldn't say much, I offered that I figured the next PI would be Taurus based with the new 3.7L V6 and AWD. I said I didn't think Ford would even consider the SHO engine due to its cost and complexity. He would only offer the following:

* It will be RWD

Revoknuckle???

Um, a rwd on a Taurus body??.........no. You know Ford is not spending millions on a itty-bitty market to turn the D-3 floor plan around, stuff a v-8 and a driveshaft in there. They might-as-well us a Mustang based car or a Panther, plus some other sources said what ever the new P.I. will be a retail version will be avalible.

Ridiculous proposition No. 233:

What's the minimum you'd have to do to get a RWD off D3 without major changes?

1. Keep the engine transversely mounted - Ecoboost V6

2. Use AWD transmission but Delete the Front drive hardware.

3. Optional - Move the Front wheels forward to improve weight distribution

Relatively speaking, hardly any major changes to the D3 design, crash properties virtually unaltered.

Transversely mounted RWD is complicated but not impossible.

Ford will not do this because the PI will stay with FWD design to avoid complication.

Every change makes the car more expensive, RWD conversion is tempting

but every option explored is either technically complicated or financially unsound.....

Edited by jpd80

So we have four possibilties? In order of the most logical solution:

1) Heavy Duty D3 (probably shared suspension with the new Explorer), 3.7L, optional AWD and different skin.

2) Revised Panther with 2011 Mustang powertrains

3) RWD D3 (would mean that the new Explorer would probably also be RWD)

4) Falcon :hyper:

1) Heavy Duty D3 (probably shared suspension with the new Explorer), 3.7L, optional AWD and different skin.

I gotta go with number 1.

Are the dies still around for the Five Hundred sheetmetal? Would it be adaptable to this gen of the chassis?

The dies are probably around somewhere, but...

The setups, fixturing, and even inspection gaging for the assembly of the panels into a body in white are also required.

It can be done, but at considerable cost.

But I agree that different grill and headlamp/taillamp pieces will be the major differentiation from the base vehicle.

Probably none of the above. Most likely option 1) without a different skin.

..... [/b]

More ridiculous proposition No 234

Turn the front and rear seats around and put the steering wheel in the back-seat facing over the trunk! ( Saw Red Green do that in an episode up at the Possom Lodge)

The Panther has more in common with the F150 than any current Ford vehicle.

The bottom line for any fleet vehicle is durability. Durability includes being able to jump curbs, drive across unpaved center medians, push vehicles out of traffic lanes as needed, and to be able to idle for hours on end in blistering heat and cold.

Police vehicles must be easy to service. Front wheel drive fails miserably here. Complexity is the enemy. Simple, robust, and modular components that are easy to remove and replace are best.

A Taurus derivative that has a service life of 80,000 miles is more expensive than a vehicle that costs twice as much that lasts 200,000 miles.

There is a lot of cost associated with putting vehicles into and out of service.

The ideal police vehicle is a lowered short-bed four-door F150 with a center hinged bed cover.

Given all of that, Ford will try to sell a ruggedized version of the Taurus. It is better than offering nothing.

1. Keep the engine transversely mounted - Ecoboost V6

2. Use AWD transmission but Delete the Front drive hardware.

3. Optional - Move the Front wheels forward to improve weight distribution

Relatively speaking, hardly any major changes to the D3 design, crash properties virtually unaltered.

Transversely mounted RWD is complicated but not impossible.

Ford will not do this because the PI will stay with FWD design to avoid complication.

Every change makes the car more expensive, RWD conversion is tempting

but every option explored is either technically complicated or financially unsound.....

Yea this is do-able but why bother. The weakest link in a FWD car is the transaxle. You are still using the same transaxle.

I would argue that using AWD would not be much more expensive than this type of RWD. Technology could fix many of the FWD handling problems.

1) This is my bet with with the same skin as the Taurus, but using the Focus RS front grill.

2) Panther is dead.

3) This is what I would do but would be 6 years away.

4) Too costly.

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

This is gonna be fun...

My bet on the motor is either the 3.7L or the 5.0L (both of which are now avail in RWD as we saw in the Mustang)

Whatever it is, it's probably going to be called Police Interceptor and not carry a Taurus badge anywhere on its body.

Yeah, because that would negate everything else Mulally has done at Ford. banghead.gif

Mulally brought the Taurus name back from the dead and transformed it into Ford's flagship. The vehicle is so hot with consumers that they have problems keeping them on the lot, and most SHO's are sold before they get to dealers.

By placing a light bar on top, you negate all the positive perceptions that he worked to build for the vehicle.

So, yes, he would essentially negate everything else positive he has done for Ford's brand image.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Pioneer