Ford to reveal details of new Interceptor this Friday at Las Vegas

The fact that Ford is having a major announcement this far out tells me that thay are very anxious about the new PI's reception, I doubt that Ford has a back up plan even though they know that a lot of the PDs prefer RWDs.

They're doing this because the US is a gigantic country, and law enforcement is an incredibly fragmented sector. It will take a very long lead to get law enforcement accessory mfrs. up to speed with the new PI.

This is not some trial floater being sent up to see if RWD is a make or break option for agencies.

Fact...Ford has had several high ranking decision makers from PD depts AND Municipalities working in conjunction on the PI succesor, their input is invaluable as they ARE the hands on guys. So, it WILL be interesting what differences there actually are between the civilian and PI units, probably the usual silicone hoses, heavy duty suspension/ brakes, additional engine/ oil cooling capacity etc etc.....expect a front bench seat with column shift, fiberglass rear seatin quarters, ...

First, I get my feed back from relatives who spend 12 hour days in CV PI, and love them !

The one bit of feedback I get from those relatives is their concern for rear seat leg room. This is already a problem on the GM and Chrysler PI vehicles. Why ? Because when you add the "cage" they take 2-4" of travel out of the front seat. Either that or there is no place for the rear seat "passenger" to put his legs and feet. Try telling a 6 foot+, 250 lb drunk they have to sit sideways !

First, I get my feed back from relatives who spend 12 hour days in CV PI, and love them !

The one bit of feedback I get from those relatives is their concern for rear seat leg room. This is already a problem on the GM and Chrysler PI vehicles. Why ? Because when you add the "cage" they take 2-4" of travel out of the front seat. Either that or there is no place for the rear seat "passenger" to put his legs and feet. Try telling a 6 foot+, 250 lb drunk they have to sit sideways !

I'm sure that will be something that was discussed over Coffee and dognuts....as for the Perp in the rear, one request was a Lazy boy style lounge with functioning massages feature and Dolby Surround large screen entertainment system.....rear passenger comfort was apparently a priority....

.as for the Perp in the rear, one request was a Lazy boy style lounge with functioning massages feature and Dolby Surround large screen entertainment system.....rear passenger comfort was apparently a priority....

:hysterical:

I was expecting you to say something more along the lines of -- or they could offer him a few more beers (Fosters?) and he could lay down and sleep (pass out) on the way to the station.....

Oh and RJ, I got the quote right away, one of my favorite movies.

Thanks for the clip!!! Love that movie but jpvbs' reference went over my head seeing as how I can't for the life of me remember movie dialog (except for some caddy shack stuff).

So just hope the interceptor has a working lighter. I think for laughs the interceptor reveal website should role out a Taurus with a Crown Vic front grafted on or maybe for the sake of updating graft a Granada Front end on.

"You think you hate it now, just wait till you drive it!"

Let's hope Ford's offering doesnt' receive this kind of reception. I love the new Taurus. It we didn't have three kids, I'd be all over a new SHO. Not too sure about it as a new cop offering though. However, Ford did this back in the early 90's with their 2nd gen SHO's. They had them running around here with the LX Mustangs for a while. Those Taurus(es?) had the dog dish hub caps, no spoilers, and no ground effects but if you popped the hoods, they had the Yamaha motors.

The Charger has 2" more rear legroom than the CV.

Edited by suv_guy_19

OK, I've been following this for quite a few years now but as someone who lives outside of North America, some things start to make sense. About two years ago, Ford decided to halt the global rear wheel drive development and Alan Mulally announced that Ford's future in North America was with FWD/AWD.

Now, whilst Ford is going gang busters to convince everyone who will listen that FWD/AWD will cover their needs, I get the sneeking suspicion that Ford knows that the Taurus does not cover all the bases for Law Enforcement, most of them yes but not all.

The fact that Ford is having a major announcement this far out tells me that thay are very anxious about the new PI's reception, I doubt that Ford has a back up plan even though they know that a lot of the PDs prefer RWDs.

What will Ford do if PDs view the Taurus PI with skepticism and start looking towards the GM Caprice? Does Ford have any way to counter this?

Let's see what Ford is offering first but if I were the product development chief who closed his ears to RWD, I'd be getting very anxious, more so in the coming weeks....

Fords strategy is not new.

And you've basically revealed it yourself, with the comment that the "panthers" would be discontinued in 2011 or 2012... I might add maybe any date between today and the crack of doom.

Seen this before from Ford. The "new" Interceptor by name will be intro'd and they'll see how it flys. If it goes with the customer base, they cancel the "panther". If it doesn't fly with the customer base ( and you have it on very good authority if its a D3 anything it won't ) ... well, the "panthers" soldier on ... until the crack of doom... most likely... :ohsnap:

Anybody remember the LTD... and the LTD II? How about the Lincoln LS would replace the TownCar :hysterical: ?

Same game different decade. :reading:

Besides, I am not convinced that Carbon will ever come out with a viable product. It seems to be even more vaporware than Tesla.

Tesla may be a lot of things, but vaporware it is not. They're made about a thousand Roadsters, not bad for a $100K plus sports car.

Tesla may be a lot of things, but vaporware it is not. They're made about a thousand Roadsters, not bad for a $100K plus sports car.

man, thats right up there with Fisker......BIG difference between a rich boys TOY and a mass produced vehicle with TOTALLY different intent......

The production of which is about to end, leaving Tesla with nothing to sell for about a year, at least, if not longer. I stand by the "vaporware" characterization.

Why Las Vegas? Why this Friday? Is there a law enforcement convention they hope to tap into, or...?

It seems unusual to have an announcement like this that does not seem to be tied into some larger event - like the Superduty at the Texas State Fair, etc..

You've obviously never read "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Maybe there's a Police Chiefs convention. :)

As to why this Friday? Probably as good as any other Friday.

OK, I've been following this for quite a few years now but as someone who lives outside of North America, some things start to make sense. About two years ago, Ford decided to halt the global rear wheel drive development and Alan Mulally announced that Ford's future in North America was with FWD/AWD.

Now, whilst Ford is going gang busters to convince everyone who will listen that FWD/AWD will cover their needs, I get the sneeking suspicion that Ford knows that the Taurus does not cover all the bases for Law Enforcement, most of them yes but not all.

What will Ford do if PDs view the Taurus PI with skepticism and start looking towards the GM Caprice? Does Ford have any way to counter this?

Let's see what Ford is offering first but if I were the product development chief who closed his ears to RWD, I'd be getting very anxious, more so in the coming weeks....

I agree, if the P.I. is the Taurus Ford knows it can't compeate head to head with the Charger/Caprice/Carbon and why should they since Ford is making money on regular cars n' trucks but that don't mean Ford don't want this market at all so a few municipal Taurus sales can't hurt.

But as i said earlier we truly don't know what the P.I. will be 'till Friday.

305hp AWD gutted Taurus is perfect and is better than the CV in every conceivable way. Durability is a question mark, but safety isn't. In my opinion, that should be worth it on its own.

The current 265hp FWD Taurus is already audibly faster than the current CV, lighter, more fuel efficient.

The fuel savings alone will deduce the higher price of admission over a period of time.

As far as styling goes... You're talking about a police car in heavy guise, with muted colors relative to a flashy civilian car.

305hp AWD gutted Taurus is perfect and is better than the CV in every conceivable way. Durability is a question mark, but safety isn't. In my opinion, that should be worth it on its own.

The current 265hp FWD Taurus is already audibly faster than the current CV, lighter, more fuel efficient.

The fuel savings alone will deduce the higher price of admission over a period of time.

As far as styling goes... You're talking about a police car in heavy guise, with muted colors relative to a flashy civilian car.

That's not the auguement, what were talking is rather the new P.I. will be a Taurus with features you described, a 5.0/6-speed auto Panther with new bodywork or a early version of the upcoming Falcon/Mustang platform with the 5.0/6-speed auto.

Oh and how will if fail if it is a Taurus....

Thanks for the clip!!! Love that movie but jpvbs' reference went over my head seeing as how I can't for the life of me remember movie dialog (except for some caddy shack stuff).

So just hope the interceptor has a working lighter. I think for laughs the interceptor reveal website should role out a Taurus with a Crown Vic front grafted on or maybe for the sake of updating graft a Granada Front end on.

Here's a sneak peek:

2008-Ford-Crown-Victoria-Special-Edition.jpg

The production of which is about to end, leaving Tesla with nothing to sell for about a year, at least, if not longer. I stand by the "vaporware" characterization.

When's the great looking Model S supposed to come out?

"Vaporware" implies that they have never made anything, which is untrue.

link

–noun

Computer Slang. a product, esp. software, that is promoted or marketed while it is still in development and that may never be produced.

Edited by AGR