AAI losing B shift announcement

deflep1

The info I've been stating for weeks (actually months) was right....AAI has been considering eliminating B shift for months and Monday they are supposed to announce they are going down to one shift by June. I found out for sure this morning at 6:20. To all the people who called me a fearmonger or a gossip spreader, I always said I wished I was wrong, but this already happened 10 years ago, and the signs were easy to spot when they all repeated themselves. Our sales are less then half what they need to be. Even though Fords' market share is growing and sales are rising company wide, Mazda 6 sales are horrible and people aren't buying as many muscle cars anymore (or even can get financing for them). We're hearing there might be a lot of openings at Michigan Assembly when they launch the new Focus, and that would be good news for most of us. They don't know exactly how many workers will be cut when B shift is eliminated, but usually around 60% are kept and the line speed is raised. I've always said the cut off date to stay would be late '93 or early '94, and that should be in the ballpark. We have to factor in all the Saline loan outs coming back, and most of those are lower seniority, who won't make the cut. About 55% of all our workers are the original '87 & '88 seniority members. Less than 100 transfered here with '84 or higher sen. and about half of those took the buyout last year. We have almost no '89-'92 members, and then a few hundred with '93-'94 seniority. I will be one of the higher seniority members to have to leave. The 3 years of seniority I was screwed out of would have placed me right near the bubble. I knew that would return to bite me in the ass one day! Good luck to all of us and maybe going to a plant that actually has good sales will be a good thing. Being on the bubble of losing a shift for years at a time is not as fun as it sounds. And in closing...what is it Die Wahrheit always says? oh yeah......TOLD YOU! It's not a rumor anymore....it's the TRUTH!

• Like 2

The info I've been stating for weeks (actually months) was right....AAI has been considering eliminating B shift for months and Monday they are supposed to announce they are going down to one shift by June. I found out for sure this morning at 6:20. To all the people who called me a fearmonger or a gossip spreader, I always said I wished I was wrong, but this already happened 10 years ago, and the signs were easy to spot when they all repeated themselves. Our sales are less then half what they need to be. Even though Fords' market share is growing and sales are rising company wide, Mazda 6 sales are horrible and people aren't buying as many muscle cars anymore (or even can get financing for them). We're hearing there might be a lot of openings at Michigan Assembly when they launch the new Focus, and that would be good news for most of us. They don't know exactly how many workers will be cut when B shift is eliminated, but usually around 60% are kept and the line speed is raised. I've always said the cut off date to stay would be late '93 or early '94, and that should be in the ballpark. We have to factor in all the Saline loan outs coming back, and most of those are lower seniority, who won't make the cut. About 55% of all our workers are the original '87 & '88 seniority members. Less than 100 transfered here with '84 or higher sen. and about half of those took the buyout last year. We have almost no '89-'92 members, and then a few hundred with '93-'94 seniority. I will be one of the higher seniority members to have to leave. The 3 years of seniority I was screwed out of would have placed me right near the bubble. I knew that would return to bite me in the ass one day! Good luck to all of us and maybe going to a plant that actually has good sales will be a good thing. Being on the bubble of losing a shift for years at a time is not as fun as it sounds. And in closing...what is it Die Wahrheit always says? oh yeah......TOLD YOU! It's not a rumor anymore....it's the TRUTH!

all we have is your word, not exactly proof, you may want to wait if or until this happens.

• Like 2

Dont count on a lot of openings at MAP when it opens if any.. Im one that was displaced when we took on Mich Truck people at ISA and we're hearing mixed reports on whats going to be avail for us to go back to and when..

over time they will be adding more jobs but in the short term its not looking great for us or anyone else..

only time will tell..

Hi lo, 2 different sources in AAI management who only give correct info told me Thur. morning. 1 source at the glass house said months ago this was going to happen and repeated it on Wed. Friends from Saline and Dearborn called last night at said they were told by their managemnet this was going to be announced Mon. I can't confirm if lots of openings at MAP for us will happen or not. They don't have all their displaced workers sorted out yet. When you have 600-800 wokers laid off, it would take a bunch of plants to place those workers, unless someone adds a shift and few other workers are on ILO at that time. Suppliers and glass house workers have said for months they were hearing AAI was on a short list of plants that could lose a shift, and AAI was the most likely to happen. When workers at 5 different places are told the same day that AAI is losing a shift by management, then that's a damn good indicator. I started at AAI in '94, and over time you know whose information you can count on to be correct. Some people don't repeat rumors or b.s., they only give good info. When this happens at the same time workers at other plants are hearing the same thing from their good sources, you know it's no longer a rumor, it became reality. The union can't officially say anything until the company confirms it, but certain reps and officials have said privately for months we were losing b shift. They weren't sure of the timetable, but it was going to happen. I wish all of this was bullshit and I was dead wrong and you guys could laugh at me, only it's not funny, because it's true. Some people have said we're having a town hall meeting on Mon. or Tues. to announce it, and I guess they'll have to make it official soon.

AAI may have more to worry about than losing a shift. If I remeber correctly the octomods would have committed incremental volume to AAI to sustain them as a viable assembly plant. Now there may be problems, with only running 1 shift puts AAI in a bad position. As we know full capacity in any assembly plant is a 3 crew operation.

Low volumes and 1 shift is scary.

AAI may have more to worry about than losing a shift. If I remeber correctly the octomods would have committed incremental volume to AAI to sustain them as a viable assembly plant. Now there may be problems, with only running 1 shift puts AAI in a bad position. As we know full capacity in any assembly plant is a 3 crew operation.

Low volumes and 1 shift is scary.

Actaully 3 shifts is not the magic number- most plants run 2 shifts, and management wants it that way. three shift ops are good profit wise, but they are a killer trying to maintain.

I think it would be kind of dumb on Ford's and Mazda's part to elminate a shift. The Mustang is going to be a hot seller with the new engines- the compettion can't touch them at any level with those. Also, the Mazda 6 is going to be restyled and recontented later this year. Furthermore, we are in somewhat of a recovery; shift cuts usually only happen when product is cut. Also, they are usually not announced 4 months in advance.

Hi lo, 2 different sources in AAI management who only give correct info told me Thur. morning. 1 source at the glass house said months ago this was going to happen and repeated it on Wed. Friends from Saline and Dearborn called last night at said they were told by their managemnet this was going to be announced Mon. I can't confirm if lots of openings at MAP for us will happen or not. They don't have all their displaced workers sorted out yet. When you have 600-800 wokers laid off, it would take a bunch of plants to place those workers, unless someone adds a shift and few other workers are on ILO at that time. Suppliers and glass house workers have said for months they were hearing AAI was on a short list of plants that could lose a shift, and AAI was the most likely to happen. When workers at 5 different places are told the same day that AAI is losing a shift by management, then that's a damn good indicator. I started at AAI in '94, and over time you know whose information you can count on to be correct. Some people don't repeat rumors or b.s., they only give good info. When this happens at the same time workers at other plants are hearing the same thing from their good sources, you know it's no longer a rumor, it became reality. The union can't officially say anything until the company confirms it, but certain reps and officials have said privately for months we were losing b shift. They weren't sure of the timetable, but it was going to happen. I wish all of this was bullshit and I was dead wrong and you guys could laugh at me, only it's not funny, because it's true. Some people have said we're having a town hall meeting on Mon. or Tues. to announce it, and I guess they'll have to make it official soon.

[/quoteI]

in your first post you said they were going to

annouce it monday, now in this post you say

monday or tuesday,so which is it......

From a practical point of view, it would be odd that Ford would be closing shifts while Chrysler and GM are hiring again and adding shifts. GM is even thinking about reopening plants.

i could see aai cutting a shift cause there product isn't selling............Let's all hope not...................The guy who started this topic said he was told at 6:20 (wonder if he knows how many seconds were on the clock) and that Monday it would be announced,now he says Monday or tuesday......Hell he even has figured out all the seniority dates in the plant and what it will take to stay........I bet labor could use him..............

Unfortuantely he seems more happy that he thinks he is right than he is sad that the shift may be cut :banghead:

Edited by Footballfan
  • Like 1

Dont count on a lot of openings at MAP when it opens if any.. Im one that was displaced when we took on Mich Truck people at ISA and we're hearing mixed reports on whats going to be avail for us to go back to and when..

over time they will be adding more jobs but in the short term its not looking great for us or anyone else..

only time will tell..

According to barg.rep. the plan for a 3 crew at MAP is only talk at this point,if it is added it would not be until at least this time next year.So hopefully AAI can get something moving and keep that second shift.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. If he is wrong, I'm going to cuss his mf ass out.

Losing a shift puts us in a bad light as far as a efficient plant.

I am more concerned on how long we will run on one shift (hopefully we sell the crap out of the 5.0s and the shift stays on or returns quickly).

The longer we run on one shift the longer we are at risk of losing the Mustang to a location that is only running 2 shifts and a flex body shop.

Losing a shift puts us in a bad light as far as a efficient plant.

I am more concerned on how long we will run on one shift (hopefully we sell the crap out of the 5.0s and the shift stays on or returns quickly).

The longer we run on one shift the longer we are at risk of losing the Mustang to a location that is only running 2 shifts and a flex body shop.

Don't worry, it hasn't happened yet. I am just suprised that Ford or Mazda have not tried putting more product in there.

Hard not to worry but what I dont understand what happened to the mazda 6 sales.

Great car..... They just tanked. No advertising doesnt help either.. zoom zoom

Cost too high.Ford Fusion which is built on the same platform is a better buy .Mazda dealers not trying very hard to sell the 6.Also the Mazda 3 is a much better buy.

Edited by skeptic

Don't worry, it hasn't happened yet. I am just suprised that Ford or Mazda have not tried putting more product in there.

exactly! Poor foresight! I thought the union is supposed to bargain for new product as well. why would ford buy the plant and property just to shutter it a few years later? this is not brain surgery. lol

• Like 1

Saline transfers are not going anywhere. I do not know where you heard that. They are keeping everyone who transfered at those plants.

exactly! Poor foresight! I thought the union is supposed to bargain for new product as well. why would ford buy the plant and property just to shutter it a few years later? this is not brain surgery. lol

The union did bargain for us. 2007 CBA kept the Mustang. The new 2010 model was committed in 2007 which was bargained for and we got it.

The union bargained again in October to keep the Mustang at AAI through 2014 as well as incremental volume. We voted it down. I would not call it short sighted but I would call it proactive.

Now we are in a bit of trouble> I still believe the UAW will have AAIs best interest and will try to keep us open.

The problem with investment in a plant and a couple years close it makes no difference to Ford. Ask Wixom, Norfolk, Atlanta and St Louis. They all had huge investments only to close 2 to 3 years later.

• Like 1

The union did bargain for us. 2007 CBA kept the Mustang. The new 2010 model was committed in 2007 which was bargained for and we got it.

The union bargained again in October to keep the Mustang at AAI through 2014 as well as incremental volume. We voted it down. I would not call it short sighted but I would call it proactive.

Now we are in a bit of trouble> I still believe the UAW will have AAIs best interest and will try to keep us open.

The problem with investment in a plant and a couple years close it makes no difference to Ford. Ask Wixom, Norfolk, Atlanta and St Louis. They all had huge investments only to close 2 to 3 years later.

Mustang's not the issue! NO plant will survive with one product, unless it's a truck. Why would we vote future product down? Oh yeah, it's because we didnt give them their ridiculous concessions! The union does nothing to inform the members of future product bargaining. TRUTH! Same B.S. at Wixom, and Wixom did not have huge investments 2 or 3 years before it shut down!

I promise you that AAI will not stay open with 1 product on 1 shift. Aint happening! Sorry, not being bitter, just reality.

Mustang's not the issue! NO plant will survive with one product, unless it's a truck. Why would we vote future product down? Oh yeah, it's because we didnt give them their ridiculous concessions! The union does nothing to inform the members of future product bargaining. TRUTH! Same B.S. at Wixom, and Wixom did not have huge investments 2 or 3 years before it shut down!

I promise you that AAI will not stay open with 1 product on 1 shift. Aint happening! Sorry, not being bitter, just reality.

Wixom did have a huge investment in 2002-03. Thats when they expanded the plant all the way out to I 96. Also huge investments in paint.

As for AAI-

I am worried about running 1 shift for any extended period of time is not good for AAIs future

Edited by dividedwebeg

Wixom did have a huge investment in 2002-03. Thats when they expanded the plant all the way out to I 96. Also huge investments in paint.

As for AAI-

I am worried about running 1 shift for any extended period of time is not good for AAIs future

wixom went to 1 shift 2002. they added a small area for the LS body shop in '98, and the paint shop '90-'91.