2011 Ford Explorer

I'm seeing the loaded Explorer Limited V6 AWD compared with a Flex Limited AWD, comes out to the Explorer weight about 60lbs more at around 4700. Then stripped down version of both, has the Flex weight about 50lbs more. For some odd reason Edmunds doesn't show a V8 for the Explorer for 2010 model year.

Antaus, I don't know which page you were looking at, but Edmunds.com shows that a V8 is available for the 2010 Explorer. Here is the link that I'm looking at.

Also, I own an Explorer with a V8 and I think the shipping weight was like 4700 pounds. I don't have the invoice in front of me, but I think that was the weight.

I can check that after the Christmas break.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those people wanting an AWD Explorer that weighs similar to an AWD Edge are in for a rude shock.

A certain sized vehicle needs to be a certin weight to have a certain strength and towing attributes.

Unless you're prepared to compromise strength or towing ability then don't complain about the weight.

Good point.

With all that weight and a high profile this is not going to be as fast as a car, handle like a car, brake like a car and the fuel mileage will not be like a car. What was the advange to moving to a car platform.

This thread has become a replay of the old Panther fights.

From what I read most of the posters who have bought or intend to buy NEW Explorers think this change is a good one.

Ford is going where the market has moved. Witness the Honda Pilot, thats the market leader right now.

Our family had a great run with a 96 Explorer, If this new one was out we would have bought one, as it was we went with a loaded 09 Escape, we wanted the SUV look with the car ride and better gas mileage.

In the next year or so we may replace our Aviator, this new Explorer is on the list of possible replacements for it.

Good point.

With all that weight and a high profile this is not going to be as fast as a car, handle like a car, brake like a car and the fuel mileage will not be like a car. What was the advange to moving to a car platform.

will still be faster, handle better, brake better and have better FE than a truck based vehicle of similar weight.

there is the benefit

If they where going to keep the Wrangler true to the Heritage, they wouldn't have come out with a 4 door model :rolleyes:

IMO adding an extra two doors to the Wrangler just made it another SUV....

And lets not forget what works for a company that sells under 200K units a year isn't going to work for a Full line company like Ford.

Jeep has been building off-road capable 4-door 4x4 vehicles long before anyone else so it is definately true to their heritage.

Willys2.jpg

And calling Jeep a "full line company" is like saying the same about Lincoln. Parent Chrysler tried to capitalize on Jeep's good name and slapped the badge on some cars which was wrong. Jeep should be what it was in the '90s, 3 models: Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and Liberty (replaced box Cherokee)

Edited by F250

will still be faster, handle better, brake better and have better FE than a truck based vehicle of similar weight.

there is the benefit

If it has the same weight and profile as the outgoing model any accleleration or FE advantage would be simply the result of new engines not the platform.

Better handling...on road perhaps, off road no. Ground clearance? Suspension durability?

braking, well...D4...

We will see.

Post a picture of yours after you take delivery.

Good point.

Refining the mix of attributes more towards the expectations of the majority of buyers

people who rarely if ever go off road, tow less than 5,000 lbs and who prefer a softer ride.

In other words, a buyer demographic with different needs to the original Explorer.

Now that Ford is putting GEN III Focus on EUCD, a lot more is coming clearer regarding replacements

for the Escape and Edge. They will most likely, all be AWD capable variations of EUCD (CD4) whilst

leaving D4 for large sedans and CUVs. Two platforms basically handling all cars and CUVs above Fiesta.

To me that sounds like a good plan, one of consolidation where niche vehicles are left out for now.

I would expect once the dust has settled, Ford will revisit what vehicles are needed to fill in the gaps.

Hopefully then the case for vehicles like GRWD sedan, Bronco, and T6 BOF Ranger would be considered.

Until then we have to accept that Ford whilst releasing new vehicles and platforms is still in survival mode

and getting those volume products right and on cost effective platforms is of paramount importance.

Edited by jpd80

To me that sounds like a good plan, one of consolidation where niche vehicles are left out for now.

I would expect once the dust has settled, Ford will revisit what vehicles are needed to fill in the gaps.

Hopefully then the case for vehicles like GRWD sedan, Bronco, and T6 BOF Ranger would be considered.

Until then we have to accept that Ford whilst releasing new vehicles and platforms is still in survival mode

and getting those volume products right and on cost effective platforms is of paramount importance.

agreed. long term profitability is the most important thing for any automaker for the foreseeable future.

Adding to what I read above so far, for some reason the GMC Arcadia sells pretty good. They are quite popular in my neighborhood and quite all over the place as I saw!

Yeah, it looks like a Freestyle/Taurus X/D4 Explorer sized vehicle with the Flex's longer wheelbase.

I'd say it ticks a lot of boxes in peoples shopping lists, probably a nice convergence of dimensions.

If you want third row seating, you need sufficiently long wheelbase to allow proper room in there.

Edited by jpd80

Yeah, it looks like a Freestyle/Taurus X/D4 Explorer sized vehicle with the Flex's longer wheelbase.

I'd say it ticks a lot of boxes in peoples shopping lists, probably a nice convergence of dimensions.

If you want third row seating, you need sufficiently long wheelbase to allow proper room in there.

afaik the new Explorer will be on a shorter wheelbase than the Flex, probably the same as the Taurii

but

that'll be fine judging by the Freestyle/Taurus-X which had ample room in the 3rd row for me (6'1" 200)