Climategate; ManBearPig dead?

RangerM

You beat me to it. Seems like there is sure a lot of explaining to do.

Hackers Prove Global Warming Is A Scam

It's unfortunate in how some are swayed so easily. The issues dealing with climate change are complicated, to say the least. I really don't know all the details with Hadley, but I do know this, even if they did manipulate the data, does it make the work of countless others meaningless? Of course not. It is a matter of credibility and incidents like this does no one any good; however, that said, to dismiss thousands of others countless work on this or I'm sure other incidents like this that will surely follow is sheer ignorance.

As aforementioned, climate change is an incredibly complex issue with many different fields of research involved. From what I've seen, the research and empirical evidence is something that can't be dismissed by a reasoned mind.

In fact, the bulk of the data suggest events are occurring faster than even the climate models have predicted. Nations are coming together with proposals likely costing trillions that are disruptive economically, at least in the short-run. If there wasn't strong empirical evidence, this wouldn't even be discussed. It's political suicide and likely there will be no meaningful consensus, but it does reveal the gravity of the situation.

There are strong interest groups on both sides of the argument with a lot of hype. There is a great deal of information to sort through. It ought not be decided on one piece of a puzzle with an infinitesimal amount of pieces.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unfortunate in how some are swayed so easily. The issues dealing with climate change are complicated, to say the least. I really don't know all the details with Hadley, but I do know this, even if they did manipulate the data, does it make the work of countless others meaningless? Of course not. It is a matter of credibility and incidents like this does no one any good; however, that said, to dismiss thousands of others countless work on this or I'm sure other incidents like this that will surely follow is sheer ignorance.

As aforementioned, climate change is an incredibly complex issue with many different fields of research involved. From what I've seen, the research and empirical evidence is something that can't be dismissed by a reasoned mind.

In fact, the bulk of the data suggest events are occurring faster than even the climate models have predicted. Nations are coming together with proposals likely costing trillions that are disruptive economically, at least in the short-run. If there wasn't strong empirical evidence, this wouldn't even be discussed. It's political suicide and likely there will be no meaningful consensus, but it does reveal the gravity of the situation.

There are strong interest groups on both sides of the argument with a lot of hype. There is a great deal of information to sort through. It ought not be decided on one piece of a puzzle with an infinitesimal amount of pieces.

What a load of crap!

"The emporor has no clothes"

"Shhh, be quiet, he has clothes your just too obtuse to recognize it, if he didn't have clothes don't you think people with a lot more reason/acedemic standing would of said something?"

Every little piece of bullshit spewed by an alarmist "I saw one less sparrow this year than last, THEY'RE ALL DYING BECAUSE OF MMGW"! is considered to be trustworthy even when crap like this comes out, but when there is any doubts..AT ALL...ABOUT ANY OF IT??? ATTACK!!

Again MMGW is bullshit. Is the earth heating up/cooling down? Yes just as it always has. Is me driving my own vehicle one day instead of carpooling going to cause a 2ft rise in the ocean waters? Not F^%&ing Likely!

Get a grip, the blanket dropped and the guys behind it with their hands in the puppets were saw by the kids. One more piece of the puzzle for kids to realize puppets aren't real.

Consider the timeline here, Methos. The emails (and records) of this are from the 1990s. A LOT of work performed in the MMGW arena has been based on the work of the scientists in question. Now does that make the subsequent scientists work done in bad faith? No. However, if the foundation on which their work is based has been called into question, it calls their work into question also. It is a domino effect.

The problem is the emperical evidence (the rising temperatures and climate models) has now been called into question, because the scientists working with it, have now been shown to have ulterior motives. A reasoned mind, would therefore have to acknowledge that any conclusions based on such evidence, are also called into question.

The bulk (read: all) of the data suggest the planet has cooled for the last 10 years; something none of the climate models predicted. Good science is not based on consensus, but on experiment and observation. Consensus is nothing more than a widely accepted hypothesis. At one time, scientists' consensus was that Einstein was wrong.....until he was proven right.

The possible outcome of this potential scandal is more than "one piece of the puzzle". It calls into question the very foundation.

And when you argue about hype, I would ask you to consider whether or not you are buying into it. I do not now, nor have I ever, bought into MMGW. I simply understand the limits of the technology too well. Although I wasn't looking for it in the scientists' character/behavior, I now have something else to consider in support of my side. For me, it fits the idea of "MMGW conspiracy" a little too neatly; scientists who make up data, impugn and attempt to suppress opposition, and cover up their misdeeds by deleting evidence. But if true, I'll accept it as evidence to support my view.

Edited by RangerM

Consider the timeline here, Methos. The emails (and records) of this are from the 1990s. A LOT of work performed in the MMGW arena has been based on the work of the scientists in question. Now does that make the subsequent scientists work done in bad faith? No. However, if the foundation on which their work is based has been called into question, it calls their work into question also. It is a domino effect.

The problem is the emperical evidence (the rising temperatures and climate models) has now been called into question, because the scientists working with it, have now been shown to have ulterior motives. A reasoned mind, would therefore have to acknowledge that any conclusions based on such evidence, are also called into question.

The bulk (read: all) of the data suggest the planet has cooled for the last 10 years; something none of the climate models predicted. Good science is not based on consensus, but on experiment and observation. Consensus is nothing more than a widely accepted hypothesis. At one time, scientists' consensus was that Einstein was wrong.....until he was proven right.

The possible outcome of this potential scandal is more than "one piece of the puzzle". It calls into question the very foundation.

And when you argue about hype, I would ask you to consider whether or not you are buying into it. I do not now, nor have I ever, bought into MMGW. I simply understand the limits of the technology too well. Although I wasn't looking for it in the scientists' character/behavior, I now have something else to consider in support of my side. For me, it fits the idea of "MMGW conspiracy" a little too neatly; scientists who make up data, impugn and attempt to suppress opposition, and cover up their misdeeds by deleting evidence. But if true, I'll accept it as evidence to support my view.

First, I would have to look at the entirety of the emails so as I could get some context of what was said. I don't like making opinions based on bits and pieces of conversations dating back thirteen years. Second, the one thing about science is no one takes any ones word, it has to be replicated, and often times it's done by multiple parties. Like I said, there are a great many involved in the research directly and many more indirectly. This isn't a small club, some 26 countries and like ours many different organizations and individuals involved within each.

As for me, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, especially in an auto forum, lol. I was merely trying to point out the larger picture. As the previous poster suggested I need to get a grip. I agree. My time as I am sure your time is to valuable to waste quibbling :)

These e-mails remind us that, despite claims to the contrary, manmade global warming hasn't been proven - or proven false.

There is a collection of evidence and material, but it has not been conclusive one way or the other. In this environment, interpretation of findings and any new material are critical. Scientists don't have to resort to outright lies - they can attempt to smear the reputations of those with different conclusions, or sit on evidence that contradicts their beliefs. Both of which appear to have happened here. What I see is suppression of contradictory evidence and ridiculing the opposition, instead of debating them on the merits.

The bottom line, though, is that this is a major blow to those who believe that manmade global warming is happening. For years, we heard about global warming "deniers" (which was an attempt through words to link them to Holocaust deniers), who were ridiculed for not believing in what had supposedly been proven by science.

Turns out that those who cautioned against jumping to conclusions were correct after all.

The ironic thing is that we are going to become more efficient in our use of fossil fuels anyway. Why? Because of price pressures from growing global demand (in China, India, etc.) and the resistance to increased drilling or building more power plants in this country. We are going to have to get more from less. This has nothing to do with global warming.

The sooner we move beyond this global warming hysteria, the sooner we can begin to make productive strides in this area. But some people are afraid to let the free market have a larger role here. After all, it's tough to get a cap-and-trade scheme - and the associated expanded bureaucracy - through Congress unless we have plenty of nightmare scenarios (The polars bears will all die! New York City residents will drown when the oceans rise! Rising temperatures will turn Kansas into a desert!) if we don't.

"But some people are afraid to let the free market have a larger role here."

After ENRON, can you blame them?

That wasn't about the free market...that was a company's attempt to manipulate government regulations (or manipulate a shoddy, halfway attempt at deregulation, as in California).

The one true way to encourage conservation is to let energy prices rise, which they inevitably will as supplies become tighter.

Edited by grbeck

I don't remember which ones off the top of my head but some are growing.

Canada and the northeastern parts of America used to be ice so maybe the earth is changing?

I seem to recall from high school the earth goes through major climate changes about every 20k years. If that theory is correct the earth is in the position to go into another ice age. To many scientists disagree with Al "I invented the internet" Gore. The C&T is nothing more than a get rich scheme to make huge profits and will do literally nothing to save the invironment. Take a look at General Electric and Goldman Sachs, both have set up brokerages to buy and sell the credits. Both were huge contibutors to Obama's campaign! I wonder why? Hmm, I wonder if that is why CNBC was told by GE (parent company) to stop running news articles denigrating Obama.

OH,

They also conveniently failed to mention that the earth has been cooling for the last 10 years or so.

This link is to a Finnish documentary that is very comprehensive in its explanation of exactly how the wheels are coming of the global warming band wagon.

If you have ever wasted the time to watch Al Gore, you really owe it to your self to spend the thirty minutes it will take to watch this. It is subtitled in English.

As it turns out, a Canadian mathematician is a big contributor in cutting through the BS. Atta' boy Canada!

Climate Catastrophe Canceled

Wow! Again,when will the alarmist stop..oh yeah never.

This can't be true because it means they've been wrong. And that can't be.

Should we be sustainable? Of course. Should we destroy forest "just because"? Of course not.

Should we freak out and panic to change the lightbulb in our fridge so the world won't explode? ahhh, no.

Just waiting, hopefully in about 3-5 years we'll look back and laugh at this. Kind of like laughing at the same freaks back in the 70's who were saying we were going to be in an ice age by the year 2000.

What about y2k panic? what about all the other "panic's" caused by both dem's and repub's?

I'll sleep good tonight, knowing the world won't blow up as I sleep even though I left the truck idling for 2 minutes today.

What about y2k panic?

That was entirely real. When the problem was discovered, systems were tested — and crashed. Because it was taken so seriously, the gang really pulled the pickle out to get it right. Did a great job, virtually nothing happened, so it seemed like it was nothing. But it could have been a real cluster-f.

Ed Begley Jr; primo jack@ss. Watch the FOX video.

http://www.infowars.com/tv-environmentalis...er-climategate/

This guy reminds me of savetheplanet with his peer-reviewed bs. Could they be the same person? And why hasn't 'save' added his two cents worth into this arena?

I don't know about "save" but here is my last two-cents. The level of ignorance in this forum is taxing to say the least. This "arena" is composed of of about a dozen people, lol. With the majority being half-wits mostly foaming about some sort of conspiracy.

FYI, if you want to talk about conspiracies, they have broader forums for just that. If you want to talk about the environment, again, they have forums where one can go to have a serious discussion. One based on facts and serious inquiry.

Then again, maybe this is the perfect place for some of you. It's probably the only place you feel smart, and that's important for everyone, well goober, and grbeck, you've found a home. You really are smart here, lol.

I don't know about "save" but here is my last two-cents. The level of ignorance in this forum is taxing to say the least. This "arena" is composed of of about a dozen people, lol. With the majority being half-wits mostly foaming about some sort of conspiracy.

Last time I checked, a concerted effort by several researchers to cover up contradictory evidence and discredit those who disagree with them - instead of debating them on the merits - had been uncovered. That sounds like a conspiracy to me.

The real problem is that the "halfwits" of this form (one assumes that "halfwits" is, in your world, synonomous with "disagrees with methos on the issue at hand") have the facts on their side.

FYI, if you want to talk about conspiracies, they have broader forums for just that. If you want to talk about the environment, again, they have forums where one can go to have a serious discussion. One based on facts and serious inquiry.

Apparently, supressing contradictory evidence and using ridicule instead of open debate to challenge those with different views now constitutes conclusions based on "facts and serious inquiry."

Then again, maybe this is the perfect place for some of you. It's probably the only place you feel smart, and that's important for everyone, well goober, and grbeck, you've found a home. You really are smart here, lol.

Nothing like an attempt to dodge the facts being uncovered daily in this whole mess - understandable, given that you don't appear to be too well informed about what is happening - along with some ad hominen attacks thrown in for good measure. I guess that is all that you can do when faced with some rather inconvenient facts.

I feel sorry that you have to resort to outright insults and name-calling instead of using reason or facts to back up your assertions. It doesn't make you look especially good.

One would think that a person such as yourself who was who the guts and moxie to start a brand-new career in midstream would not need to use such tactics, but I guess that isn't the case. The only person you are diminishing on this forum is yourself.

Edited by grbeck

I had to turn off the radio today. 95.7 news radio in Halifax has gone in the last 3 years from somewhat biased but tolerable to sickening. If it's right wing it's ridiculed, if it's about the conservatives or more to the point Harper, it's a trashfest.

They give open mike time to GW alarmist and let them rant on without challenging ANYTHING! Once they had a MMGW dissident, a terrible world hating dispicable man who actually tried to mention that the whole thing should be opened up to closer scutiny. After repeatedly cutting him off and disputing everything he said (this was an anchor arguing with a scientist mind you) he gave an abrupt "thank you" hung up on him them made a few off hand comments like you would say under your breath then changed the subject.

The guy today said the "deniers" are going around making money my speaking at events and other things which is a terrible thing to do. (and I thought..ahh..al gore???) He said some of the denier scientist aren't even climatologists just regular scientists(again..the GW alarmist aren't doing this??)

And of course anybody who is denying GW is obviously being paid off by big oil. Every single person who has denied GW has been proven to be on a payroll somewhere. (I deny it..I guess he means my army paycheck??)

This whole thing is way beyond stupid, if anybody told me this intake manifold will give 300hp I would say let me test it. If they wouldn't let me I would be scepticle, a denier if you will.

If I saw evidence where someone took a 1300hp engine and bolted on a 2bbl intake and carb and got 1000hp then replaced it with "this" intake and "gained 300hp" which "PROVED" this intake was worth 300hp I would then call foul and be even MORE sceptical and be an even bigger "denier"!

Talk to Bruce Fulper who is a pontiac guru and owns&operates rock and roll engineering (google it) He wrote some articles for hotrod/carcraft etc. He was pissed because of "editting" which was done to show advertisers parts doing what they claimed eventhough there were mitigating circumstances to get that to happen. His biggest bitch was a comment they claimed was his about "this cam was worth 100hp".

Yes it was, when it was combined with better heads/induction and headers that suited it. The way it was stated in a little box beside his picture holding a camshaft though let readers "guess" what his real meaning was.

SHOW ME THE DATA! THAT should be the cry, not we must do this now or the world blows up at midnight unless we sign this without reading it.

There is no doubt bullshit on both sides, but unless the alarmist will show how they got what they did (and not with computor projections) I say we DENY!

I had to turn off the radio today. 95.7 news radio in Halifax has gone in the last 3 years from somewhat biased but tolerable to sickening. If it's right wing it's ridiculed, if it's about the conservatives or more to the point Harper, it's a trashfest.

They give open mike time to GW alarmist and let them rant on without challenging ANYTHING! Once they had a MMGW dissident, a terrible world hating dispicable man who actually tried to mention that the whole thing should be opened up to closer scutiny. After repeatedly cutting him off and disputing everything he said (this was an anchor arguing with a scientist mind you) he gave an abrupt "thank you" hung up on him them made a few off hand comments like you would say under your breath then changed the subject.

The guy today said the "deniers" are going around making money my speaking at events and other things which is a terrible thing to do. (and I thought..ahh..al gore???) He said some of the denier scientist aren't even climatologists just regular scientists(again..the GW alarmist aren't doing this??)

And of course anybody who is denying GW is obviously being paid off by big oil. Every single person who has denied GW has been proven to be on a payroll somewhere. (I deny it..I guess he means my army paycheck??)

This whole thing is way beyond stupid, if anybody told me this intake manifold will give 300hp I would say let me test it. If they wouldn't let me I would be scepticle, a denier if you will.

If I saw evidence where someone took a 1300hp engine and bolted on a 2bbl intake and carb and got 1000hp then replaced it with "this" intake and "gained 300hp" which "PROVED" this intake was worth 300hp I would then call foul and be even MORE sceptical and be an even bigger "denier"!

Talk to Bruce Fulper who is a pontiac guru and owns&operates rock and roll engineering (google it) He wrote some articles for hotrod/carcraft etc. He was pissed because of "editting" which was done to show advertisers parts doing what they claimed eventhough there were mitigating circumstances to get that to happen. His biggest bitch was a comment they claimed was his about "this cam was worth 100hp".

Yes it was, when it was combined with better heads/induction and headers that suited it. The way it was stated in a little box beside his picture holding a camshaft though let readers "guess" what his real meaning was.

SHOW ME THE DATA! THAT should be the cry, not we must do this now or the world blows up at midnight unless we sign this without reading it.

There is no doubt bullshit on both sides, but unless the alarmist will show how they got what they did (and not with computor projections) I say we DENY!

world blows up at midnight? a bit reactionary don't you think? reminds me of the death panels, great sensationalism!

Hold it right there! You have had way too much to drink!

world blows up at midnight? a bit reactionary don't you think? reminds me of the death panels, great sensationalism!

Yeah your right, how dare I exagerate anything..even though "the oceans will rise 20ft" and "we will kill earth in this century if we don't stop". Yeah, how could I exagerate, how dare I. :banghead:

Keep drinking the fool aid. :finger:

I started to explain something, but I erased it. Obviously nothing anybody says will change your mind or even put the seed of doubt in there. You don't want the truth you want to be on the right side of an argument. If it turns out your on the wrong side, you won't take a second look or even see any other side. Just argue and fight to the end and if your wrong so what you went down fighting.

We could of had this argument over global cooling in the 70's.

Your still wrong but only time will prove it. At which time you can deny you ever agreed with MMGW.

Same as NOBODY will admit they agreed about global cooling in the 70's.

As far as the y2k Ed? I was intricately involved in military run ups to y2k and it was bullshit. There was "well, it could do something...but I seriously doubt it but we'll spend two months of 7 days a week checks to ensure nothing can go wrong". Even though in late Oct/early Nov it was proven several times to the higher ups that it was bullshit. It was more important to (1) cover your ass and (2) placate the government and ultimately keep the public calm.

As far as the y2k Ed? I was intricately involved in military run ups to y2k and it was bullshit. There was "well, it could do something...but I seriously doubt it but we'll spend two months of 7 days a week checks to ensure nothing can go wrong". Even though in late Oct/early Nov it was proven several times to the higher ups that it was bullshit. It was more important to (1) cover your ass and (2) placate the government and ultimately keep the public calm.

Maybe it was bullshit for the military and their systems.

I'm in IT, and for lots of systems, that wasn't the case, especially for billing/accounting systems that had to work with "legacy" software/hardware.

BTW, it wasn't necessary to "spend two months of 7 days a week checks to ensure nothing can go wrong". You backed-up the system, set the date to "00" (2000), re-boot and see if there's a problem. If there is, you have to fix it. The point is, where that happened, it got fixed.And a lot of code got written and old legacy systems got replaced. :)

Corbett report...says same thing but it doesn't sound as good when I say it..hmm maybe I'm not so eloquent after all? naw, can't be that. LOL

I fully agree with what he said at the end, the enviromental freaks should be concerned about stuff that IS man made, pcb's, plastisizers, why is cancer up/fertility down. Now THAT is something to check out.

Ed, there could of been software wrote that I didn't know about obviously. What I'm saying is after the build up and public panic about anything computor related would crash (including cars/planes/trains/etc) we did a whole lot of contingency planning and setting stuff in place "in case" which never transpired. Planes/trains and cars did not quit. (even without any updates) and the nuclear weapons didn't launch themselves. The security systems in the weapon and ammo faults didn't fail etc.

It never hurts to have a back up plan obviously, I never saw ANYTHING that justified the panic or legwork/buildup.

The other side as you said though is nobody knew about it proving how good the fix was.

In other words, we didn't hear about the terrorist threat to fly planes into Ottawa because it was nipped in the bud. That certainly could be the case too I suppose.

Perhaps it was a bigger threat then I'm saying due to my experiences of it being bullshit on my scale?

hahahahaha! reading your post's is like watching the Colbert report! Why do you guys even need this thread, was there not thread called --Proved: there is no climate crisis, if it has already been proven then why did this hacker even need to do this?

Sounds like you guys are trying to convince yourselves again. But yeah I am sure that the Academy of sciences, NOAA, NASA, the royal society, etc. will all delete and burn all their research now that some hacker has posted up on the Internet. Who needs peer reviewed articles when you have a hacker posting on the net.

You guys are way to sharp, can't get anything past you, I guess we will have to disband our Communist socialist feminist tree hugging skull and crossbones secret mason enviro nazi ponzi scheme. I will contact our leader Al Gore and maybe we can figure out some other way to scam $$ from you guys. Al will most likely take this news hard, as he has been twisting his mustache and hatching his Machiavellian plan since the early 70's.

You guys are way to sharp, can't get anything past you, I guess we will have to disband our Communist socialist feminist tree hugging skull and crossbones secret mason enviro nazi ponzi scheme. I will contact our leader Al Gore and maybe we can figure out some other way to scam $$ from you guys. Al will most likely take this news hard, as he has been twisting his mustache and hatching his Machiavellian plan since the early 70's.

Hope you are right then one day when you and Al Gore jet off together for a photo shoot in Miami on an iceburg with a Polar Bear in 90F sunshine l hope the Polar bear eats both of you, or you become a McAl/Save the Planet shark burger when the iceburg melts.

hahahahaha! reading your post's is like watching the Colbert report! Why do you guys even need this thread, was there not thread called --Proved: there is no climate crisis, if it has already been proven then why did this hacker even need to do this?

A person will only tend to make fun of the opposing view, when he doesn't have a cogent argument. You're better than that, aren't you?

Sounds like you guys are trying to convince yourselves again. But yeah I am sure that the Academy of sciences, NOAA, NASA, the royal society, etc. will all delete and burn all their research now that some hacker has posted up on the Internet. Who needs peer reviewed articles when you have a hacker posting on the net.

You've missed the point. The "peers" in question, are at the center of this (link to CRU-related story). In every case, when the raw data (link to a non-CRU related story) or the source code (link relating to CRU) have been examined by outsiders, flaws have been observed, and are not readily explained, OR multiple (and divergent) explanations are given. When the the researchers themselves can't be consistent in their explanation, then I'd conclude something is rotten.

For me the real crime here is suppression of contradictory data and/or the opposing view; as it was in the case of the EPA Report on greenhouse gas effects (link to the original, suppressed document), and others. Read the original article I referenced for additional examples; and there ARE others.

CAN YOU PROVIDE THE REST OF US A SINGLE, RATIONAL EXPLANATION AS TO WHY THE SUPPRESSION OF EVIDENCE IS VALID SCIENCE, AND IN NO WAY CALLS INTO QUESTION THE INTEGRITY OF THE MMGW RESEARCHERS?

Yes, I'm yelling because I want everyone to see the question, and also see that no reasonable answer is ever given throughout the rest of this thread.

Why resort to sarcasm? Don't you have anything more in your intellectual arsenal?

Edited by RangerM