Interior Lights

This is an annoyance for me and not really a problem, but someone hopefully can help me solve this issue.

When I unlock the doors on my truck, the interior lights come one, which is terrific. Also at night some of the exterior lights come on as well. I liked this.

The lights remain on as I open the door and get in. There are times when I get in the truck, I leave the driver door open because I have someone else get in the truck and it is easier for them to close the door because of the air can escape. I also get out immediate to do something else.

I then start the engine to give it a minute to warm up before leaving. This also gets the oil flowing before I start driving it. So when I start the engine the interior lights go out, even with the drivers door open. During the day time this isn't a problem because there is enough light out that people can still see. However at night, I don't like this, because the door is open and the interior goes dark. When I close the door and then reopen it after starting the engine, the interior lights work like they are suppose to.

What I would like to do is to have the interior lights stay on when the door is opened and the engine is started. Then I want them to go out when I close the door. Is there a way to make this happen? I want to keep the entry the same way, just when the doors are open that the interior light remain on even when I start the engine.

Thanks for helping me with this.

• 2 months later...

This is an annoyance for me and not really a problem, but someone hopefully can help me solve this issue.

When I unlock the doors on my truck, the interior lights come one, which is terrific. Also at night some of the exterior lights come on as well. I liked this.

The lights remain on as I open the door and get in. There are times when I get in the truck, I leave the driver door open because I have someone else get in the truck and it is easier for them to close the door because of the air can escape. I also get out immediate to do something else.

I then start the engine to give it a minute to warm up before leaving. This also gets the oil flowing before I start driving it. So when I start the engine the interior lights go out, even with the drivers door open. During the day time this isn't a problem because there is enough light out that people can still see. However at night, I don't like this, because the door is open and the interior goes dark. When I close the door and then reopen it after starting the engine, the interior lights work like they are suppose to.

What I would like to do is to have the interior lights stay on when the door is opened and the engine is started. Then I want them to go out when I close the door. Is there a way to make this happen? I want to keep the entry the same way, just when the doors are open that the interior light remain on even when I start the engine.

Strange... my 2006 EB does exactly what you want yours to do.... not sure why yours doesn't

My F150 does the same thing. I know what you are talking about. However, its a software issue in the module. I have not run into anyway to change that. I think its just normal operation. If I come accross any new info I will let you know.

• 3 weeks later...

Strange... my 2006 EB does exactly what you want yours to do.... not sure why yours doesn't

Me too. I've noticed if the door is open and you start the truck, they go off for a split second and then come right back on. fordtech1 is probably right, it's most likely a software problem. Have your dealer tech check it out!

By the way, today's engines are designed to be driven in seconds after starting. Letting your engine warm up is nice on a cold day if you want the heater warm, and it also lowers emissions when the exhaust cat is warmed up, but as far as oil flow- it's good to go as soon as you turn the key.