Another Explorer Roll-OverL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a terrible thing to happen. I feel for the families involved. However, it wouldn't suprise if someone tries to sue Ford. Due to the fact that our justice system will award them for being irresponsible. Making rediculous statements like Ford should have made it safer even its improperly loaded. Nevermind the fact it had too many occupants for the number of seats with the possibility of poor maintenance of tires.

All in all, from the pictures, the explorer looks structuraly intact. I would believe had everyone in the vehicle been securly seatbelted, all would have come out with minor injury only.

I do feel bad for everyone involved, but there is a time when people should use some common sense. But ofcourse we all know common sense isn't so common.

Root cause

There’s nothing she can do when you drive 70 miles an hour, and you get two flat tires on same sides

So what cause 2 flat tire simultaneously ? Pot hole ? Curb ? Piece of steel ? Under inflated/worn tires ?

Yes, it is a tragedy. The tragedy started when 11 people got into a vehicle designed for 7 and they drove off without seat belts.

At least the cops are doing the rigt thing

... in addition to the loss of her son, she also faces charges. Troopers said the SUV was overloaded at the time of the crash, and investigators said they believe many of the children were not wearing seat belts.
Edited by theoldwizard

It is too bad and I hope everything will turn out well. I also hope someone doesn't put the bug in a suffering parents ear to sue Ford.

Im am sure that since the driver will receive a charge, then a ton of lawyer advertisements will show up in the mail. So I am sure it will, if not already crossed their mind. However, I seriously doubt they will have a case. What can they sue for? The roof was not collapsed in. Ofcourse no one will ever know, but had there only been 7 people in the car and all belted in properly the occupants would have not been thrown out. If the roof collapsed or a suspension component failed then ok, otherwise I don't see a case.

I wonder what made the tires fail. I figure by the looks, its a 02-03 explorer. Without knowing, I would guess possible road debris, or wore out/poorly maintained tires. But thats just a guess. I see alot of vehicles with wore out tires. Alot of people don't fix until they have to in order to get their tag renewed. (NC has state inspections)

If 2 tires failed, I would say she ran over road debris. Possibly an "alligator" from a big truck.

I guess I'm just weird. I maintain my vehicles, and we check everything out before we leave for any trip of any distance.

Funny thing is, I am 45 years old, and have never had 2 tires fail. Of course, I avoid road debris also.

Im am sure that since the driver will receive a charge, then a ton of lawyer advertisements will show up in the mail. So I am sure it will, if not already crossed their mind. However, I seriously doubt they will have a case. What can they sue for? The roof was not collapsed in. Ofcourse no one will ever know, but had there only been 7 people in the car and all belted in properly the occupants would have not been thrown out. If the roof collapsed or a suspension component failed then ok, otherwise I don't see a case.

I wonder what made the tires fail. I figure by the looks, its a 02-03 explorer. Without knowing, I would guess possible road debris, or wore out/poorly maintained tires. But thats just a guess. I see alot of vehicles with wore out tires. Alot of people don't fix until they have to in order to get their tag renewed. (NC has state inspections)

Structurally the vehicle held up pretty well. I could see a lawsuit coming, but it is going to be pretty tough if they had more passengers then seat belts in the vehicle and not all passengers were wearing their seatbelt.

This stuff pisses me off--Ford vehicle or not. What kind of brain-dead moron takes ANY vehicle and tries stuffing 10 kids into it, when the vehicle is clearly not designed for that? Grr. Furthermore, what brain-dead parent lets their child go on this trip? Do they not ask who is driving? How does that conversation go?

Brain-dead parent: So how many people are going on this trip?

Brain-dead driver: Oh me, and Johnny, Jenny, Julie, Jimmy, Timmy, Tommy, Sarah, Haley, Josie and Josh. That's it.

Brain-dead parent: Ok, good. Wait, what kind of car do you drive?

Brain-dead driver: An Explorer.

Brain-dead parent: Oh, well those are huge, I think. Well, have fun, bye now.

Gimme a break. Sounds like what this case needs is a good dose of Child Protective Services. It might do some good for all the other parents to THINK!

Overload, exceed normal weight on tires.... there is no cause to sue FORD.... the driver was negligent since there was only 7 belts, and the driver chose to have 11.... the driver needs a mental eval...

Was it even a 7 passenger model? In the side shots it doesn't look as if the 3rd row was fitted, it looks at if it was a 2002 model Explorer. I see people overloading cars all the time, just yesterday I saw a Sebring (newer style) with 5 kids in the back seat, and one kid on the lady's lap in the front seat.

Been driving over 40 years. I have NEVER had a "blow out". As a matter of fact, I can only think of 1 flat tire on the road. The 1 or 2 others have been in the driveway !

I drove over a piece of wood in the very early morning...I didn't even see it...and had two flat tires on the drivers side when I pulled into my driveway 5 minutes later..it had a damn nail in it!

Was it even a 7 passenger model? In the side shots it doesn't look as if the 3rd row was fitted, it looks at if it was a 2002 model Explorer. I see people overloading cars all the time, just yesterday I saw a Sebring (newer style) with 5 kids in the back seat, and one kid on the lady's lap in the front seat.

You know, seeing that stuff makes me want to follow the car, pull the driver out, and beat the sh_t out of them! And then hold the child for protective services!

Our kids are always belted, and we don't let them ride with other people for reasons like this. Chances are, an accident like this won't happen, but if it does, I don't want to be telling myslef for years: 'If only'.

Wow...terrible loss, but they have no one to blame but themselves!

Well supposedly this was a church group heading to see the lord, its just one of them will have a personal one to one with god. So far I haven't heard what caused it, if it was debris or something...did the tire pressure monitoring system bleep before that and the driver ignored it? So far, nothing has been said.