2011 Ford Explorer Production

Well I heard through the grapevine that the 2011 Ford Explorer is slated to begin production on November 1, 2010 at Chicago Assembly. We still have to wait over a year for this thing to make it into showrooms!

Well that is pretty obvious by the mules running around. Plus I don't think the Explorer isn't huge priory for Ford at the moment. And it would let LAP shutdown next summer to start retooling for C car products.

Edited by silvrsvt

Well that is pretty obvious by the mules running around. Plus I don't think the Explorer isn't huge priory for Ford at the moment. And it would let LAP shutdown next summer to start retooling for C car products.

Very true, but I can't wait to see this thing! Anyone know how much it is costing Ford to develop the next Explorer?

...And it would let LAP shutdown next summer to start retooling for C car products.

but the next Explorer is moving to Chicago...

...I've been hoping (already) that they'd go ahead and start building the new one asap

since imho there's room/capacity for it just waiting...

...and waiting

Edited by 2b2

but the next Explorer is moving to Chicago...

...I've been hoping (already) that they'd go ahead and start building the new one asap

since imho there's room/capacity for it just waiting...

The point I was making is that LAP could shut down next spring/summer to let the current Gen Explorer sell off and not have any left on the lot when the new one comes out. I think the retooling of LAP is more important for Ford then launch of the Explorer....because once the economy comes back, gas is going to be over 3 bucks a gallon again.

While I certainly agree that Ford's plans in the C and CD sedan segments (Focus and Fusion) or the most critical to Ford's future health, the new Explorer is also very important. Ever since 2006, Ford has not had an effective, mass-market success in the midsize 3-row market where the Explorer used to dominate and the Pilot and Highlander now live. Ford needs the new Explorer to take the fight directly to those products. Contrary to what some people think (and I do not understand this confusion) the Flex does not directly compete with those midsize 3-rows...the Flex is larger by a full step...it mainly competes with minivans and former fullsize suv buyers. As an aside, part of the confusion is helped by GM's strategy of not competeing "normally" in the CUV category. The Equinox is sized between the small and 2-row midsizes (Escape-Edge) while the Traverse is sized like a large cuv-minivan (Flex) yet is priced more in line with the 3-row midsizers like the Highlander and Pilot.

A successful new Explorer will go a long way to returning Ford to profitability and cementing Ford as being competitive in all the major segments. In my view, there are Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary products for all of the major automakers. Ford's breakdown goes something like this, in my opinion, but others may have other ideas. I'm leaving out future products that have not been firmly announced, especially the Grand C-Max since we do not know if it going to Ford or Mercury.

Primary: Extremely important to profitability, image, and market penetration. These products cover the heart of the car/cuv market, or are critical to Ford's image.

-Focus

-Fusion

-Mustang

-Escape

-Explorer

-F-150

Secondary: Important to have for buisness reasons, and market coverage but not critical.

-Fiesta

-Edge

-Expedition

Teritary: Products that Ford could easily survive and flourish without, but done right can be profitable and add to the market coverage of the brand.

-Taurus

-Flex

-Ranger

The point I was making is that LAP could shut down next spring/summer to let the current Gen Explorer sell off and not have any left on the lot when the new one comes out. I think the retooling of LAP is more important for Ford then launch of the Explorer....because once the economy comes back, gas is going to be over 3 bucks a gallon again.

I think it would be good to have a few current generation Explorers on the lot so that they can be compared to the new Explorer. It will be interesting to see what happens and how the next Explorer looks when it comes out. I will say that putting the EcoBoost 3.5 into a lower weight Explorer will actually be a good thing. That engine has some pep and pop to it and should be able to make the Explorer fun to drive.

Time will tell.

I will say that putting the EcoBoost 3.5 into a lower weight Explorer will actually be a good thing. That engine has some pep and pop to it and should be able to make the Explorer fun to drive.

I really wonder how much the Unibody Explorer will weigh less then the current one. As it stands now, a Flex and the current Explorer roughly weigh the same. The Taurus X weighs about 300 pounds less then both of them, so I think any weight savings is going to be minimal unless they figure out some fancy stuff to do it

My strategy is if a car can't go 200,000 w/o major maintenance costs - I don't buy again from that manufacturer. So far every Ford I've owned has made it.

I sold my 2002 with 163,000 on it and except for tires and perhaps ball joints in a little while, there is nothing majorly wrong with it and I expect it to hit 200,000 and more with nothing more than normal maintenance. The engine was tight, the right was good and it was ready to go.

I really wonder how much the Unibody Explorer will weigh less then the current one. As it stands now, a Flex and the current Explorer roughly weigh the same. The Taurus X weighs about 300 pounds less then both of them, so I think any weight savings is going to be minimal unless they figure out some fancy stuff to do it

Weight reductions are something you "purchase" during the development of the vehicle based on weight/fuel economy targets. And those targets are set for the vehicle line both for competitive reasons and as part of that vehicle's contribution to Ford's overall fuel economy effort (which in turn has both competive and legislative tails). In the real world, weight means fuel economy. And in the NHTSA testing world, weight determines the weight class of the vehicle and determines the load on the dyno rollers which in turn means fuel economy.

You can expect that every program would have a ranking of actions that could be taken, along with the relative investment and piece cost and a scale that would judge the fuel economy leverage of each action (bang-for-the-buck).

When you are doing a totally new platform, of course the available opportunites are huge as you have a clean sheet of paper. But even when you are doing an all-new tophat, you have lots of choices.

I have no idea what Ford's weight targets are for the Explorer, but I think we can all guess that Ford would dearly love to break the 30mpg barrier with the 2.0l EB. Ford has stated they want to have fuel economy leadership. And all manufacturers need to step up the game on fuel economy to meet Federal mandates. These three reasons probably mean Ford will be taking weight actions that they might not have taken a few years ago.

If you plan your actions right, you can get win-win situations. For example, I have heard that the Explorer might have a one-piece magnesium liftgate. If Ford were to take this action it could mean that not only the liftgate will be lighter, but it might enable lighter struts, lighter hinges, less body structure to support the hinges, and a lighter motor for the liftgate. It would benefit the customer in lift effort. And it would reduce assembly costs by sweeping a bunch of stamped parts that have to be welded into a single, precise part. That doesn't mean the Explorere will be a light vehicle, but I expect it will be very competitive in terms of weight and fuel economy.

I'm not sure if it'll have much of a weight savings. The clues are all pointing for it to be a fat FWD/AWD pig as well. Only the drivetrains will probably provide the necessary fuel economy savings. I dont think it'll come from the platform/structure.

I know that the D3/4 platform is pretty chubby - but have you seen all the frame of the 06-10 Explorer? Mine doesn't have running boards so it's easy to see under, and it looks like 2 I-beams (straight out of a house) running the length of the truck. Starting in '06 the Explorer is on a modified F-150 platfomr. I would expect a pretty significant reduction in weight.