Is the jig up?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't talking about Nepal. I was specifically speaking of Switzerland and Luxembourg which are trwo of the richest countries on earth, per capita, by any method. I was talking about Western Europe, Where mush larger expenses on social services occur by the government. To say that the problems of obesity happen because the US is too rich is just naive I woulds say.

Obesity is more common among the lower classes than among the upper classes in the U.S. If you doubt that, I will drive you through the poor sections of certain towns, and then the more affluent sections. The contrast is quite noticeable.

When poor people can afford to overeat, then that society is rich. In truly poor societies, the poor LOOK poor - i.e., like they are on the verge of starvation.

And please note that Switzerland and Luxembourg are two small, homogenous countries. You can't compare them to the U.S. as a whole. You need to hold them up against an upscale suburb in a major metropolitan area to obtain a more valid comparison.

Wealth is only one cause of obesity, and you have shown that yourself by stating that rich people tend to have a lower obesity rate than poor people. There are other factors that include education and food regulation. Europe has many things right that the rest of us should be looking to when it comes to humanity. No country has everything right and we need to look to eachother and improve ourselves.

:hysterical: This is the song that never ends....

you are such a knowledgable person as it pertains to Obama. Why has Obama filed 42 legal documents to prevent the public display of his birth certificate? He has spent almost $1mil to keep this private.

This is similar to when kerry demanded that Bush provide his military records but cried foul when they said he should do the same.

Uh, a contract employee is an "Army warrior"? In your mind, maybe.

The nub of the contention is "because of any disclosure of information by the employee or applicant that he or she reasonably believes evidences a violation of a law, rule or regulation".

Wing-nut's belief wasn't reasonable, except to other wing-nuts. You know, the "Apollo is a Hoax" kind. :hysterical:

The dumbocrats jumped all over Palin for abuse of power. Where are they now? Cook was clearly following his oath: I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

This country has clearly been taken over by a group of elite jackboot tyrants. Through the use of their political clout, all opposing the regime change will be eliminated by the good ol' boy system. Control of the population through debt. People who are broke and hungry will accept any pittance thrown at their feet. Welcome to, as George H Bush quoted, the New World Order.

Nice - they cancel his orders because they are afraid to argue the case, and they decide to use some nameless government bureaucrats in the Dept. of Defense to lean on his employer.

Typical Chicago politics.

While Obama cannot prove he has a legitimate birth certificate, he did prove he throws like a girl at the All Star Game.

The dumbocrats jumped all over Palin for abuse of power. Where are they now? Cook was clearly following his oath: I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

This country has clearly been taken over by a group of elite jackboot tyrants. Through the use of their political clout, all opposing the regime change will be eliminated by the good ol' boy system. Control of the population through debt. People who are broke and hungry will accept any pittance thrown at their feet. Welcome to, as George H Bush quoted, the New World Order.

He wasn"t followig his oath, He was trying to make a political statement and it cost him his job. That makes him a real dumb ass.

Obesity is more common among the lower classes than among the upper classes in the U.S. If you doubt that, I will drive you through the poor sections of certain towns, and then the more affluent sections. The contrast is quite noticeable.

You don't even need to drive through the poor sections of town to demonstrate obesity among lower-income people: Just visit your local Wal*Mart. Because of its pricing strategy, Wal*Mart is the shopping destination of choice among lower-income people. And it would be interesting to observe what obese Wal*Mart shoppers are putting into their shopping carts -- and how they pay for their groceries (whether they're using a USDA SNAP card).

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is merely a re-branding of the old food-stamp program (paper food stamps expired on June 17). It presents itself as promoting "nutrition and putting healthy food within reach for low-income households," but it's really no different than food stamps. People can still fill their shopping carts with anything they want, with a few exceptions. From the FAQ section of their Web site:

Q. Are SNAP clients only allowed to purchase certain nutritious foods?

A. SNAP requirements for foods that can be purchased are the same as in the FSP. SNAP clients can buy all foods intended to be eaten at home. Some things, such as alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, foods hot at the point of sale, non-food items, vitamins or medicines and pet foods are not allowed.

So SNAP clients are free to gorge themselves on as much junk food as they want, at least until their SNAP debit cards expire, which are recharged again the following month. Of course, this has been going on for decades, which is why, when you visit Wal*Mart, you'll see multiple generations of really fat lower-income people with grocery carts filled with things like soda pop, potato chips, and processed foods like Spaghetti-O's and Jimmy Dean microwaveable Chocolate Chip Pigs-in-a-Blankets.

At least the USDA's WIC program only pays for foods that must meet certain nutritional criteria.

Another place to observe the gluttonous habits of lower-income people is to go to a restaurant that offers all-you-can-eat breakfast buffets for, say, $5.99. It's not uncommon to see people (for whom most airlines would charge double fare for a single passenger) walking away from the buffet line with two plates that have mounds of food heaped on them -- to the extent that there is food dribbling off their plates as they waddle back to their tables. Similarly, about a year ago, I went to a place for lunch called Cici's Pizza. It features an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet for $5.99. As I was eating my salad, I observed nothing but whole families of really, really fat people walking away from the buffet line with plates stacked with slices of pizza. For me, it's difficult to watch people who are so grossly overweight eat as if it's their last meal. And it's sad that their children are grossly overweight as well. Granted, they're paying with their own money, but where that money comes from is anybody's guess. In any case, these people are obviously not affluent by any stretch of the imagination (judging from the way they are dressed; however, they do seem to be able to afford lots of tattoos). I don't go to these places anymore.

When poor people can afford to overeat, then that society is rich. In truly poor societies, the poor LOOK poor - i.e., like they are on the verge of starvation.

I've taken to categorizing "poor" people in the U.S. as lower-income people. Designating lower-income people in the U.S. as "poor" is a disservice to those people around the world who are truly poor -- as you said, on the verge of starvation. By comparison, the U.S. does not really have poor people -- not to the extent of that of many other countries around the globe. In the U.S., "poor" people can afford cell phones, low riders, air conditioning, and tattoos. In some other countries, large classes of poor people are in dire need of basic food staples, vaccines, clean water, basic shelter, and the list goes on . . . (Not to mention the economic freedom and human rights protections that lower-income people in the U.S. enjoy -- even though they take these things for granted.)

Yes, our society is very wealthy. We are so wealthy that we have the richest "poor" people in the world. We are so wealthy as a country that we can provide our lower-income people with enough redistribution of our wealth so that they can be rich by comparison to their counterparts in lesser-developed countries. Our "poor" people own cell phones, watch TV, and drive their own cars; real poor people have never even talked on a phone, seen a TV, or ridden in a car.

And please note that Switzerland and Luxembourg are two small, homogenous countries. You can't compare them to the U.S. as a whole. You need to hold them up against an upscale suburb in a major metropolitan area to obtain a more valid comparison.

As I told our friend, it's impossible to gain an apples-to-apples comparison of GDP per capita between countries. There are simply too many economic variables, and not all of them are quantitative; some are qualitative. He doesn't get that, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

If we want to get into qualitative economic analyses between countries, I think South Korea vs. North Korea would be an instructive place to start. (Just don't get me started on all those women golfers from South Korea who are now winning millions on the LPGA tour. They ROCK!!)

Well, if you don't want to compare GDP, then what should we compare? Because the US fares worse on the lists that aren't related to money, such as the Human Development Index. We don't have another country to country economic number, and even though GDP isn't perfect, I don't see another comparison that can be used.

The US is a great place, sure, but there are other countries that do things better. As I've already said, each country has something that it can learn from another. To say that people are lucky to be poor in the US is starting to border on disgusting. It's almost as if they are supposed to be thankful...because, well, at least they don't live in Somalia (well, I suppose they should be thankful of that).

He wasn"t followig his oath, He was trying to make a political statement and it cost him his job. That makes him a real dumb ass.

He was fired from his job because of pressure from an upper government official on his employer. That is called retaliation. Cook was a 'whistleblower' for claiming that Obama is breaking the law/Constitution for not being a natural born citizen. There are laws against retaliation and I would expect to see a certain government worker losing his job soon.

He was fired from his job because of pressure from an upper government official on his employer. That is called retaliation. Cook was a 'whistleblower' for claiming that Obama is breaking the law/Constitution for not being a natural born citizen. There are laws against retaliation and I would expect to see a certain government worker losing his job soon.

No that is his lawyer trying to get him his job back by claiming he's a whistle blower, because she's trying to cover her own ass for giving bad advice. Second Obama didn't give him direct orders to be deployed, he volunteered so he had the right to unvolunteer. In your way of thinking I guess everyone in the military can just get a lawyer and sue the military for any order they get if they don't like it because Obama isn't realy the President. The military would realy function great if they all followed this cowards thinking. Not only should he lose his job but he should also be discharged from the military.

You need to get off this Obama is not qualified to be President kick. Don't you think that if he wasn't the RNC would have got this stopped long before the election. It's over, move on and find something else to bitch about. :rant:

Wealth is only one cause of obesity, and you have shown that yourself by stating that rich people tend to have a lower obesity rate than poor people. There are other factors that include education and food regulation. Europe has many things right that the rest of us should be looking to when it comes to humanity. No country has everything right and we need to look to eachother and improve ourselves.

When talking about "wealth," there are two different kinds - individual wealth, and the wealth of society as a whole.

Individuals who are wealthy (or even middle class) got that way through discipline. (Even if people inherit money, they have to be disciplined enough to keep it.) This extends to eating habits. They can afford to overeat, but don't. They self-regulate.

The poor benefit from society's wealth. Because America is a rich country, it can afford to redistribute wealth to the lower classes. They receive other people's money to spend. They thus have the money, but didn't have to do anything to get it, except fill out a form at the local public welfare office. They receive money without practicing the habits usually necessary to get it. Thus, they spend it unwisely - resulting, in this case, in obesity.

You don't even need to drive through the poor sections of town to demonstrate obesity among lower-income people: Just visit your local Wal*Mart. Because of its pricing strategy, Wal*Mart is the shopping destination of choice among lower-income people. And it would be interesting to observe what obese Wal*Mart shoppers are putting into their shopping carts -- and how they pay for their groceries (whether they're using a USDA SNAP card).

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is merely a re-branding of the old food-stamp program (paper food stamps expired on June 17). It presents itself as promoting "nutrition and putting healthy food within reach for low-income households," but it's really no different than food stamps. People can still fill their shopping carts with anything they want, with a few exceptions. From the FAQ section of their Web site:

Q. Are SNAP clients only allowed to purchase certain nutritious foods?

A. SNAP requirements for foods that can be purchased are the same as in the FSP. SNAP clients can buy all foods intended to be eaten at home. Some things, such as alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, foods hot at the point of sale, non-food items, vitamins or medicines and pet foods are not allowed.

So SNAP clients are free to gorge themselves on as much junk food as they want, at least until their SNAP debit cards expire, which are recharged again the following month. Of course, this has been going on for decades, which is why, when you visit Wal*Mart, you'll see multiple generations of really fat lower-income people with grocery carts filled with things like soda pop, potato chips, and processed foods like Spaghetti-O's and Jimmy Dean microwaveable Chocolate Chip Pigs-in-a-Blankets.

At least the USDA's WIC program only pays for foods that must meet certain nutritional criteria.

Another place to observe the gluttonous habits of lower-income people is to go to a restaurant that offers all-you-can-eat breakfast buffets for, say, $5.99. It's not uncommon to see people (for whom most airlines would charge double fare for a single passenger) walking away from the buffet line with two plates that have mounds of food heaped on them -- to the extent that there is food dribbling off their plates as they waddle back to their tables. Similarly, about a year ago, I went to a place for lunch called Cici's Pizza. It features an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet for $5.99. As I was eating my salad, I observed nothing but whole families of really, really fat people walking away from the buffet line with plates stacked with slices of pizza. For me, it's difficult to watch people who are so grossly overweight eat as if it's their last meal. And it's sad that their children are grossly overweight as well. Granted, they're paying with their own money, but where that money comes from is anybody's guess. In any case, these people are obviously not affluent by any stretch of the imagination (judging from the way they are dressed; however, they do seem to be able to afford lots of tattoos). I don't go to these places anymore.

I've taken to categorizing "poor" people in the U.S. as lower-income people. Designating lower-income people in the U.S. as "poor" is a disservice to those people around the world who are truly poor -- as you said, on the verge of starvation. By comparison, the U.S. does not really have poor people -- not to the extent of that of many other countries around the globe. In the U.S., "poor" people can afford cell phones, low riders, air conditioning, and tattoos. In some other countries, large classes of poor people are in dire need of basic food staples, vaccines, clean water, basic shelter, and the list goes on . . . (Not to mention the economic freedom and human rights protections that lower-income people in the U.S. enjoy -- even though they take these things for granted.)

Yes, our society is very wealthy. We are so wealthy that we have the richest "poor" people in the world. We are so wealthy as a country that we can provide our lower-income people with enough redistribution of our wealth so that they can be rich by comparison to their counterparts in lesser-developed countries. Our "poor" people own cell phones, watch TV, and drive their own cars; real poor people have never even talked on a phone, seen a TV, or ridden in a car.

As I told our friend, it's impossible to gain an apples-to-apples comparison of GDP per capita between countries. There are simply too many economic variables, and not all of them are quantitative; some are qualitative. He doesn't get that, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

If we want to get into qualitative economic analyses between countries, I think South Korea vs. North Korea would be an instructive place to start. (Just don't get me started on all those women golfers from South Korea who are now winning millions on the LPGA tour. They ROCK!!)

Those all-you-can-eat buffets are depressing. If nothing else, the crowds discourage me from going back for seconds!

And it's amazing that the "poor" can afford tattoos, cell phones, ipods, etc. But we'd better be careful - that is supposedly only a stereotype perpetuated by those mean old Republicans!

Thus, they spend it unwisely - resulting, in this case, in obesity.

And much of the problem comes from a lack of education. There are other rich countries without the obesity problem, and Mexico, which is far poorer, now has just as much of a problem. It's not just about wealth of any kind. It has a great deal to do with education and regulation.

And much of the problem comes from a lack of education. There are other rich countries without the obesity problem, and Mexico, which is far poorer, now has just as much of a problem. It's not just about wealth of any kind. It has a great deal to do with education and regulation.

wow regulation, I cringe everytime I hear it, especially, when the Government uses it.

The problem is that people aren't disciplined enough to take advantage of educational opportunities, or put the good habits into practice.

You'd be amazed, for example, at how many poor women with children have no idea of how to cook a meal. They rely on prepared foods. And they can't cook because they don't want to learn, and are too lazy to do it, not because no one ever taught them how to cook.

No that is his lawyer trying to get him his job back by claiming he's a whistle blower, because she's trying to cover her own ass for giving bad advice. Second Obama didn't give him direct orders to be deployed, he volunteered so he had the right to unvolunteer. In your way of thinking I guess everyone in the military can just get a lawyer and sue the military for any order they get if they don't like it because Obama isn't realy the President. The military would realy function great if they all followed this cowards thinking. Not only should he lose his job but he should also be discharged from the military.

You need to get off this Obama is not qualified to be President kick. Don't you think that if he wasn't the RNC would have got this stopped long before the election. It's over, move on and find something else to bitch about. :rant:

Better get use to it, because it will not go away. Actually the momentum is gaining against Obama. All BO has to do is release his records. But the messiah wont and has spent over one million dollars in attorney fees. Would it not be more cost effective to release those records? So what is he hiding? :fan:

Better get use to it, because it will not go away. Actually the momentum is gaining against Obama. All BO has to do is release his records. But the messiah wont and has spent over one million dollars in attorney fees. Would it not be more cost effective to release those records? So what is he hiding? :fan:

won't happen Sprinter....that would take away your livelihood......