'10 VolVo Xc60 Tested

I liked it more when I first learned of this model...now its too heavy and uses too much fuel. Compared to our X3 that gets 22 MPG winter and 24 MPG combined fuel economy, less than 20 MPG would be disappointing. Our lease is up next year, and my wife wants to pick out the vehicle this time...she likes Honda Pilots although I told her they are not as nice looking anymore. I mentioned that we should look at the new 2011 Explorer, she is willing...I would like to buy American (FORD) next time. I don't think I could stand a GM or Chryco product.

Edited by Project-Fairmont

I like the XC60, but, honestly, Volvo needed this vehicle years ago.

And that applies to all of Volvo, really. I really like the cars, but really, their lineup needs an almost top-to-bottom makeover.

I liked it more when I first learned of this model...now its too heavy and uses too much fuel. Compared to our X3 that gets 22 MPG winter and 24 MPG combined fuel economy, less than 20 MPG would be disappointing. Our lease is up next year, and my wife wants to pick out the vehicle this time...she likes Honda Pilots although I told her they are not as nice looking anymore. I mentioned that we should look at the new 2011 Explorer, she is willing...I would like to buy American (FORD) next time. I don't think I could stand a GM or Chryco product.

Edmunds.com - 2007 BMW X3 3.0si, 4,121 lbs, 0-60 in 7.2s, in 1,903 miles of driving it averaged 19.2mpg & is EPA rated 19c/26h (at the time, the current 2009 X3 is rated 17c/24h using the 2008 & later EPA rankings.)

Edmunds.com - 2010 Volvo VC60, 4,247 lbs, 0-60 in 7.1s, averaged 15.6mpg & is EPA rated 15c/22h.

So roughly a 10% hit in fuel economy for the XC60 vs. the X3. But you get a much better looking vehicle. And the XC60 is less expensive.

If you want to go Ford: 2011 Edge/MKX with the Mid-Cycle Refresh, Flex, MKT or 2011 Explorer. Those all seem like viable options.

Scott

I like the XC60, but, honestly, Volvo needed this vehicle years ago.

And that applies to all of Volvo, really. I really like the cars, but really, their lineup needs an almost top-to-bottom makeover.

I agree.....this should've been out a few years ago.

That and Volvo has been too conservative in redesigns as of late (same problem as Jag?), for example the new S80.......it looks great, but too much like it's predecessor.....I saw a new one next to the old model from the rear, and while you're readily able to tell one from the other, they were almost exactly the same in overall design.

Maybe Horbury will be able to help out?

If not, I'd gladly draw up a few models for a new Volvo lineup (PREMiERdrum has seen some of my stuff).

Edited by rmc523

If not, I'd gladly draw up a few models for a new Volvo lineup (PREMiERdrum has seen some of my stuff).

And guys, it's awesome... make friends with RMC now, This guy is going places.

I'd love to see what you could do with the S80, or maybe even a new S40.