'10 fusion sel vs accord ex

In Dearborn, engineering the full redesign that'll come out in a few years?

Woo hoo! 100 Vice Presidents, 5 designers, and a room full of Engineers! :woot:

Never mind the 4 or 5 thousand people that assemble them and the other 10,000 or so that will comprise suppliers, health care workers, service jobs, etc. Not to mention all the tax money lost that our local economies need. :rolleyes:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind the 4 or 5 thousand people that assemble them and the other 10,000 or so that will comprise suppliers, health care workers, service jobs, etc. Not to mention all the tax money lost that our local economies need. :rolleyes:

You force all their vehicles to be built in the U.S. suddenly you'll find that they don't have enough money to even pay the 100 vice presidents, 5 designers, and a room full of engineers in the U.S. anymore after awhile. Then you don't even have that to complain about. You are simply out of work from a company that's out of business.

Maybe the biggest advantage either car holds is the Ford's American styling, which is cleaner, bolder and more attractive to our sensibilities than the Marty-Feldman-eyed Honda's, but we couldn't bring ourselves to decide a family-sedan comparison on so frivolous an attribute.

Why stop now? You've done it for Honda and Toyota for years.... :hysterical:

You force all their vehicles to be built in the U.S. suddenly you'll find that they don't have enough money to even pay the 100 vice presidents, 5 designers, and a room full of engineers in the U.S. anymore after awhile. Then you don't even have that to complain about. You are simply out of work from a company that's out of business.

Not to mention the fact that Focus production was moved BACK to the U.S. when the CD3s went to Hermosillo.

Not to mention the fact that Focus production was moved BACK to the U.S. when the CD3s went to Hermosillo.

Which really makes no sense when you think about it. If the whole point of building the Triplets in Mexico was to take advantage if cheaper labor, then why build a vehicle with a higher price point there? :headscratch:

If the Fusion was built in the United States, it would not be competitive with the Accord or Camry because it would be too expensive to build. This would have meant concessions in design or quality to meet cost objectives - I would assume at least. That's my best guess. Either that or Ford would have to raise the purchase price to turn a profit. Since price is a huge sensitivity in the midsize sedan market, that would not be smart.

Remember, Mexico is part of our NAFTA agreement. I know that NAFTA isn't always something that people like, but are you against the EU too? Because that's essentially what NAFTA is. A trade alliance. (Granted, the EU is much more than NAFTA is, but it has some similarities.) The bottom line is that NAFTA makes us more competitive as a continent against not only Japan but the EU as well.

One more thing: you do realize that the Fusion is sold in markets besides the U.S., right? Using your logic .. we should fault Ford for building the Mondeo in Germany. Or any other car that is sold in Europe and not manufactured here. Ford is a global company - why should they keep all operations in the United States?

That said ... I understand that a lot of people are bitter right now in the United States because they have no jobs in this horrible economy, and I would love to see more cars built in America. Maybe after the UAW agreements that Ford has reached, Ford can start building more vehicles in America again. I really do not understand your hatred for the Mexican worker though. They obviously have done quite a bangup job on the Fusion - it is Ford's crown jewel of quality.

If the whole point of building the Triplets in Mexico was to take advantage if cheaper labor, then why build a vehicle with a higher price point there?

Maybe because they needed a labor force more reliable than the UAW could provide. Hermisillo has a history of building with care and precision. The Focus' quality noticably declined when it got moved back to the United States. If you look at trim fitment on a 2000 Focus versus an American-built one, you will see the problem firsthand.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Well, here in french Canada we have the "Guide de l'Auto", published yearly with review of every models on the Canadian Market for the year of the release. Every year, Jacques Duval (well-kwown car journalist from Quebec) praised imports and screwed Detroit. This year, he was so much praising Ford that almost all of their vehicle were in the "Top 3" for Best in Class...

They even named the Flex the most...

ATTRACTIVE CUV !!!

One more thing: you do realize that the Fusion is sold in markets besides the U.S., right?

I care about other countries just as much as they care about the United States.

I don't.

Maybe because they needed a labor force more reliable than the UAW could provide. Hermisillo has a history of building with care and precision. The Focus' quality noticably declined when it got moved back to the United States. If you look at trim fitment on a 2000 Focus versus an American-built one, you will see the problem firsthand.

Um, you do realise that the Focus has been built in the United States since the beginning (2000 model year), right? The trim and body panel fitment on both of my USA built Foci are nothing but perfection (2000 and 2009). The worst model quality wise was the SVT, and those were all built in Mexico.

Edited by Pioneer

That car would have been trouble-prone no matter who assembled it. Most of its problems were based in the engineering, not the assembly.

My point has been explained yet again.

Now, explain it to FordBuyer. aka: Mr. US must match Mexican Quality Man.

My point has been explained yet again.

Now, explain it to FordBuyer. aka: Mr. US must match Mexican Quality Man.

Won't see me arguing about the quality. It's simply a matter of cost as far as I'm concerned. Mexican labor is cheaper. There's really nothing else in that equation.