4 DAY WORK WEEK?

Hard Driver

I have been thinking about the 4 day work week.

If you work at a plant with 2 shifts that work 10 hour days Mon - Thurs what happens if they run out of parts and send you home on Tuesday? I'm guessing if they get the parts in on Friday (normally not your work day) they can make you work on Friday. What if they don't get their parts until Sunday...can they make you work Sunday. I worked 4 day work weeks at MTP before but they had 3 crews so Sat and Sun already had shifts working.

Also, our vacation time wont last as long since now instead of using 8 hours to cover a day off we will have to use 10 hiurs for a day off.

Just some things that I have been thinking about looking for input. I haven't talked to union reps about this yet.

I have been thinking about the 4 day work week.

If you work at a plant with 2 shifts that work 10 hour days Mon - Thurs what happens if they run out of parts and send you home on Tuesday? I'm guessing if they get the parts in on Friday (normally not your work day) they can make you work on Friday. What if they don't get their parts until Sunday...can they make you work Sunday. I worked 4 day work weeks at MTP before but they had 3 crews so Sat and Sun already had shifts working.

Also, our vacation time wont last as long since now instead of using 8 hours to cover a day off we will have to use 10 hiurs for a day off.

Just some things that I have been thinking about looking for input. I haven't talked to union reps about this yet.

I have been asking lots of the same questions and have thought about all the possible scenerios. I was told that YES they can force a Friday just as they were able to force Sat.'s. Now on the short work week. The new contract only guarentees us 32 hours so there is the possiblity of only working 8 hours for 4 days with no short work week on the remainder. I really don't have a problem with the vacation time issue. Think about it. 99% of the time everyone uses their time on Fridays. Now the lower seniority can't complain when all the Fridays in the summer are at cap. I haven't found an answer on the question of half days. Do you stay an hour after lunch with a first half or do you come in an hour after lunch for second half? :reading: :reading:

Your vacation last just as long....Your working 10 hours a day so if you take off your paid 10 hours...Same as when you worked 8 hours a day you took off your paid 8 hours................

Right now FORD does not need the vehicles so if your plant runs out of parts you won't be making those vehicles up......

Agreed.... Unbelievable though that people now have to work 4 days a week ""so that means you will get 47 extra days off"" and they cry and complain about having to take 10 hours for a day off.. :hysterical:

So if u got 15 years in you will only get 12 vac days instead of 15 but you will have 47-3=44 extra days off :hysterical::hysterical: having to work 188 days a year minus your 12 vac. days so 176 Well thats nothing to cry about :finger::finger:

I've worked the 4 day work week before and liked it. Your vacation days just don't last as long since instead of using 8 to cover a day off you are now forced to use 10 for each day off. So if you had 24 hours it used to cover 3 days off, now it wont.

If you are combining them with the 3 day weekend thats nice but if for some reason you need a few Tuesdays or Wednesdays off it's not so good.

The only concern I have is the conversion of the July 4th Holiday or any holidays that are converted into personal time.

Besides last year this has always been a pay in lieu of day that was converted to personal time.

My concern has always been that if we are able to convert this day we in essence lose 2 hours of pay when we later go to use this as a personal day.

Holidays need to be updated contractually in what specific hours will be paid and in cases of conversion hours that needs to equal a full days pay if it is to be used as a paid personal day.

I haven't found an answer on the question of half days. Do you stay an hour after lunch with a first half or do you come in an hour after lunch for second half? :reading: :reading:

I haven't heard much about the half day, but the start times will be changing to 6 am and 6pm, and the break times too, so I would hope that the lunch time would be after 5 hours.