CVT TRANNYS NO MORE?

I test drove a Freestyle when they first came out. In order to get up to freeway speed on an inclined entrance ramp, I had to floor it. I don't like revving an engine that high, and it didn't sound happy doing it. The salesman riding with me was startled that I floored it, but it was the only way to merge safely into traffic.

The 3.0 engine and CVT combo no doubt provide good fuel economy, but I felt it was underpowered for a heavy car like that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 3L freestyle AWD with the cvt and it is a nice combo. Good FE and decent power. I have never had a problem keeping up with traffic or merging. Its not a rocket but is more than adequate. It a family car, not a high performance vehicle, and for that purpose it is great.

I test drove a Freestyle when they first came out. In order to get up to freeway speed on an inclined entrance ramp, I had to floor it. I don't like revving an engine that high, and it didn't sound happy doing it.

.....that's the point of the engine. You're one of those people that takes FOREVER to merge because you're afraid to punch the gas.

too many people are unaware of the "little green button" under the gas pedal of the CVT 500 & FS.

Push the pedal down. Think you're at the floor? Nope. Push a little harder and the button engages a WOT condition that will take the CVT to 5500 - 6500 rpm (depending on how long you hold it).

Don't believe me? Have a look.

Then you will see that the little 3.0/CVT combo can smoke it down the highway quite well. Not quite the snail people think it is.

Edited by J-150

too many people are unaware of the "little green button" under the gas pedal of the CVT 500 & FS.

Push the pedal down. Think you're at the floor? Nope. Push a little harder and the button engages a WOT condition that will take the CVT to 5500 - 6500 rpm (depending on how long you hold it).

Then you will see that the little 3.0/CVT combo can smoke it down the highway quite well. Not quite the snail people think it is.

That is exactly what I wanted to say!

I heard about the little button under the gas pedal some time ago. I took a peep, it was there.

I confess, I have had personal road rage problem which I have been constantly trying to suppress and had been quite successful. Just a couple weeks ago, I was a little mad on the road. I stepped on the gas pedal "HARD", dam! That thing shot little a rocket from 25mph to 75mph went up-slope on a bridge in just a few seconds. It was flying! My anger disappeared immediately, as I found out the sensation of how amazing this thing can go!

Edited by LoveTaurus

If I believe there is a little green button and tell others have I fallen for the joke? ;)

I googled for an image of one but can not find one. Show us! :)

Peace and Blessings

If I believe there is a little green button and tell others have I fallen for the joke? ;)

Peace and Blessings

It was not a joke! It does exist.

Volvo's drive-by-wire throttle system!

791739788_b915b21891.jpg

post-24977-1237225619_thumb.jpg

I am a member of "THE" Freestyle forum. First time someone mentioned it at the forum, I thought it was a joke. That was until I looked myself!

Edited by LoveTaurus

Peace and Blessings

it definitely exists.

most dealers and mechanics don't even know about it until it is pointed out to them.

I learned about it from a Freestyle owners forum.

Because it was not significantly better at either performance or fuel economy !

This was truly a case of "putting all of you eggs in the WRONG BASKET" ! For years the "theoretical" folks kept saying how much better the fuel economy could be it they could only operate the engine at a constant speed. In theory a CVT allows this, but not in practice (sorry I don't know the details myself).

I think it has to do with the logic they used in the transmission. I read an article a ways back that talked about how auto makers delayed the ratio changes to make it sound more like a conventional transmission, which mitigated CVT efficiency gains. They could in practice achieve noticeable efficiency gains, but consumers thought something was wrong with the car.

OK.. I have an '05 hybrid Escape. with the planetary gear set CVT.. a different one than in the Taurus or Freestyle, but a CVT nevertheless.

Couple of things about it,, one.. using the ON-Ramp to get 'er up to speed to merge; the noise from that 2.3L engine is a bit 'harsh' for me. But after just a few times of driving it, you really don't miss that expected gear shift. Your mind tends to worry about other aspects of driving. Putting your foot into the pedal, you will see the engine RPM's maintain a constant reading, but the vehicle continues to accelerate. In your mind, you are left wondering, is this thing accelerating? It doesn't sound like it.

I keep looking to see is there some place I can ADD sound deadening to this? On the firewall, under the dash? Something? Somewhere? I have other complaints about that hybrid, but hey, it's not mine to drive.

It was just another new technology that I think people haven't wanted to embrace, because the complete follow thru on it wasn't done. I'm sure by reading other posts here, others found the same noise level high also. Could it, would it have been another Ford gesture of, it's good enough, get it out there? Defining the cost of a CVT towards a 6,7,8 speed, I personally believe the CVT would have been a better choice for the company bottom line. Obviously I am not correct. and Obviously the market has spoken too.

I currently own an 07 Freestyle and I confirm the button is there and it works like previously mentioned.

The button is there primarily to let the PCM that you have reached WOT. It is required as a fail safe for the electronic throttle control logic.

Of course, secondarily, it does mean "GO LIKE HELL !"

.....that's the point of the engine. You're one of those people that takes FOREVER to merge because you're afraid to punch the gas.

You should take a ride with me first before judging my merging style. I just prefer an engine that has power in reserve, which based on my test drive, the Freestyle didn't appear to have. The drivetrain felt more appropriate to an economy car than to a premium car. Perhaps that is what Ford intended.

I didn't know about the extra secret "go button" under the accelerator. If the salesman knew, he didn't share it with me, because I commented to him how the car felt underpowered.

I had the opportunity to drive a coworkers Altima v-6 cvt some time ago. I have to say that the experience itself would DEFINITELY take time to get used to. I personally am so in tune with what the trans is supposed to be doing, I'm not sure I would want a CVT vehicle. Its just really bizarre the way it works. The engine sits at a single speed but the car continues to accelerate. I like to feel the gears change. This feels like George Jetsons car.

How have the CVT's been working out for Nissan?

Yes, every Nissan Murano (first introduced in 2003) has had a CVT with their 3.5L V6. At one time Nissan was so happy with the CVT, they thought hybrids were unnecessary. Since 2003, they've expanded the V6/CVT offerings in the US, and in other markets, they've used them with smaller displacement engines. Nissan's CVT even has an option for manual-like control. Nissan's CVT supplier, Jatco, has a similar relationship that Toyota does with Aisin.

The e-CVT in the Escape Hybrid does have a maintenance advantage in that it has no servicing interval. You can even impress your friends by driving down the highway at full speed and throwing it it reverse or just driving around in "L" all of the time.

Yes, every Nissan Murano (first introduced in 2003) has had a CVT with their 3.5L V6. At one time Nissan was so happy with the CVT,Nissan's CVT even has an option for manual-like control.

hmm wonder how they can do that with the higher torque ratings from the 3.5L V6 and I wonder how heck you get manual like control out of a transmission thats designed to work at certain RPM LOL

The e-CVT is a total different design ! Apples and oranges !! Nothing at all like the Ford/ZF CVT or any other non-hybrid CVT.

Yes, I'm wondering about the claims for the E. Hybrid Transmission myself. The current green nut in the Escape forum is making all kinds of claims that you need to drop it in low for this and that.