Ford 5.0L Coyote V8 spied in a Mustang

Left Lane News: Ford's 5.0L Coyote V8 spied

My hunch is that this is not a Modular based engine, but an 8 cylinder, 90 degree bank angle version of the Cyclone (3.5/3.7L) V6. The Coyote is a new engine family.

If you take the current 3.7L V6 and spread the single cylinder displacement across 8 cylinders, you get a 4.96L V8. The engines look suspiciously similar in the cylinder head/cam cover area.

Wikipedia: Ford Cyclone Engine

large-motore-ford-duratec-35-v6-01.jpg

Any ideas?

Does anyone have any insight?

coyoteV8-jan09-priddy1.jpg

coyote1.jpg

Edited by therealmrmustang

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hunch is that this is not a Modular based engine, but an 8 cylinder 90 degree version of the Cyclone (3.5/3.7L) V6. The Coyote is a new engine family.

Not really sure what you could really "base" on the Cyclone since the cylinder opposition is at different angles. I suppose maybe bore spacing and what not could be implemented. It has been pretty well established at this point that the 5.0 isn't based on the Mod motors anyway. I think anything that was taken from the Mods was more on a "lessons learned" sort of level and not on a direct carry-over level.

Let's see:

*DOHC, 32-valve - Great

*TIVCT - Fantastic

*Port fuel injection - Boo!

*Fat intake runners - Nice

*Plastic intake manifold - Not so nice

*Aluminum valve covers, heads - Nice

*Rumored 400/400 - VERY Nice

I don't believe that the intake runners are plastic... they look aluminum. That aside, I believe that this is a mule and Direct Injection is going to be a given as that is the current direction. Also... if you haven't noticed, it has cam sensors on both intake and exaust cams. Variable Valve Timing!

Anyone here have any insight as to the design lineage? Does it share anything with either the Modular or Cyclone families?

Edited by therealmrmustang

I hope it survives a 2011 release with Obama's new fuel economy plan.

I hope so too...

This engine will also be used in the F-150. It's my understanding that it's supposed to get better fuel economy than the current 5.4... while making more that 400hp (...sounds like a 5.4 replacement). There's no doubt that it will have DI.

I wouldn't get too excited for the direct injection. The engine I'm sure is more than capable of making 400 horses without it. And I'm also equally sure than the version that sees duty in the F-series won't be rated that high.

You're probably right... considering how conservative Ford has been over the years. It would be nice to have those kind of numbers considering the Tundra's top engine option. I guess it wouldn't be responsible considering the current economic climate, etc.

Saw these a few days ago. It's definitely not based on a Cyclone and it's definitely not getting direct injection anytime soon. This engine was designed as an entirely new engine family, built on past experience with the MOD. It is not based on the Modular in any way. The Mustang version should produce 405hp & 385 lb./ft. of torque with ease. The Truck version should produce around 375hp and 410 lb./ft. of torque. The intake runners are aluminum. It does have TiVCT. It's also far lighter than the 4.6L MOD. Look for DI in 2014, maybe 2013.

Saw these a few days ago. It's definitely not based on a Cyclone and it's definitely not getting direct injection anytime soon. This engine was designed as an entirely new engine family, built on past experience with the MOD. It is not based on the Modular in any way. The Mustang version should produce 405hp & 385 lb./ft. of torque with ease. The Truck version should produce around 375hp and 410 lb./ft. of torque. The intake runners are aluminum. It does have TiVCT. It's also far lighter than the 4.6L MOD. Look for DI in 2014, maybe 2013.

excellent...but I would say DI earlier especially with Obama signing off on ridiculous mileage/ cleanliness agendas.....THAT will speed up ANY item that assists in those areas....

My hunch is that this is not a Modular based engine, but an 8 cylinder, 90 degree bank angle version of the Cyclone (3.5/3.7L) V6. The Coyote is a new engine family.

If you take the current 3.7L V6 and spread the single cylinder displacement across 8 cylinders, you get a 4.96L V8. The engines look suspiciously similar in the cylinder head/cam cover area.

I don't know if you can say it is based on the Cyclone. I will not share any parts. But I would think they started with the Cyclone design and used the best technology, but applied it to a V-8.

excellent...but I would say DI earlier especially with Obama signing off on ridiculous mileage/ cleanliness agendas.....THAT will speed up ANY item that assists in those areas....
Unfortunately direct injection will cost the same regardless of EPA standards. I would love to see a 435hp 5.0 next year as well. Unfortunately, the costs are far too high and consumers aren't willing to pay the premium.

Unfortunately direct injection will cost the same regardless of EPA standards. I would love to see a 435hp 5.0 next year as well. Unfortunately, the costs are far too high and consumers aren't willing to pay the premium.

law may require them to take ANYTHING they are told to if it helps emissions or mileage....

Interesting...

I had a feeling that it was a new engine family. I had just suspected that the similarity in the cam covers that it might have a lineage relation (...though remote) to the Cyclone. Especially when you take the bore and stroke of the 3.7 and spread in across 8 cylinders you have a 4.96L V8.

Wikipedia: Ford Cyclone Engine

large-motore-ford-duratec-35-v6-01.jpg

Any ideas?

Does anyone have any insight?

coyoteV8-jan09-priddy1.jpg

coyote1.jpg

Not Cyclone based.

Nothing to do with your post, but love the "eco vehicle" pic in the sig :D

Sorry to threadjack, but Thanks. I have the sticker on the back window of my truck (also in my sig). It makes the Prius driving eco-nazi's go crazy, although half of them are morons who think it's a special vehicle. :hysterical::stirpot:

Edited by Hydro

Let's see:

*DOHC, 32-valve - Great

*TIVCT - Fantastic

*Port fuel injection - Boo!

Versa-Tech has said it and I'm going to say it again.

DI is not all that it is cracked up to be ! It is very expensive on an 8 cylinder engine and it really does not give you much more power or much better fuel economy (using EPA or CARB testing methods).

Turbo and/or super chargers work just fine with port injection !