Next Generation Mustang

Tico

Can we get and AWD option for 2012. It would be great for those of us who live in the North Jersey area who get some serious snow, yet still want to drive an exciting machine. Just make it an option, please!

While there's always the possibility of an AWD Mustang in the future, I have trouble understanding your need for one. I'm in Connecticut and have been driving them for years and have little need for AWD. For years I'd be coming back from skiing trips in Vermont and when the roads got back on the return trip almost every vehicle I saw off the road or sitting on a guard rail was an SUV! The SUV owners thought that the 4WD made them invincible and they became vulnerable because they were driving their SUVs beyond its abilities based on the road conditions. For years I heard nothing from friends and customers about having to have FWD because of snow conditions, etc. The biggest factor is the driver, not the vehicle!

IMHO, within 3 years, the Mustang will get the I4 EB.

I can see that, but only if the 2014+ Mustang has a lighter body and/or the EB I-4 comes close to the current 3.7L performance. Otherwise.... no.

Someone answered this but I forgot, is there some reason Ford doesn't produce a 2.7L EB V6 for the '14+ Mustangs?

The engine would be lighter/ use less fuel than a 3.7L and have a smaller footprint. It'd have similar characterisitcs,

performance-wise, to the 3.7L NA. It'd fit in the Edge, Fusion, Taurus, Flex, Ranger & F150s etc.

They may even shoehorn it into a Focus or Fiesta.

Either way, I hope Mustang Base stays with Camaro-beating performance while having better economy. 31mpg is good today but 5 years from now

it will be considered a pig.

I'd be interested in learning how well the '11 Mustang V6/auto performs. Especially the convertible. With the softer gearing (2.73), automatic, and extra weight of the convertible, is it still in the 5 second range for 0-60 and 14 second range for the quarter mile? If so, that and 31 mpg hwy is phenomenal.

I remember buying my first GT 5.0 in 1982 after reading in all the car magazines that the Boss was back. They were raving about pre-production models getting to 60 mph in 6.9 seconds, although production models were a few tenths slower and the quarter mile times were very low 16s - stellar for the day especially when the new Z28 was barely turning 17 seconds.

Edited by T'Cal

• 2 months later...

what about a hatch back Mustang again. With all the other 3 and 5 door vehichles out there a hatch might make sence again. What years of past mustangs were hatches?

(This ought to get some replies!)

All the hatchbacks I've had in the past were pretty rickety and I don't know of anything thats advanced enough as of now that would prevent a new one from being the same.

The Hatchback would be nice, but it would require even more reinforcement to keep it "tight" like the current car, which would cause it to gain weight. When you have a hatchback, your losing a major cross member right where the trunk and green house met at

• 3 weeks later...

i think that GM FORD AND FITSLER will combine to share the same basic rear wheel drive platform. I also think that the 2014 or 2018 pony cars will have 150-200mpg via a rubber band engine that winds up and can slowly release the power to individualized motors at each wheel. each motor will have about 25 hp as the platform will only now seat 1 and be made out of carbon fiber including the engine rubber bands. Also GM will become the worlds smallest standard of luxury as Caddy will pull back only into the usa and only in the mid west and bible belt editions of Caddys will be made with custom paint jobs.

Edited by donzuchowski

I've been driving Mustangs, mostly GT's, as my company "Demo" for quite a few years now. For the past 3 months I was driving a 2010 Mustang GT Premium Coupe (My 3rd 2010 Mustang Premium GT in 8 months) but had driven a stock 2011 Mustang GT when it arrived.

The 2010 Mustang GT Premium Coupe that I'd been driving for 3 months only had 742 miles on it when we delivered it last Thursday. The customer that took delivery originally ordered a 2011 Mustang V6 Premium Coupe, Automatic Transmission and with the Pony Package and the Accessory Package including Side Scoops, etc after I'd spent 2-3 hours with him answering questions, etc. A few weeks ago he called to change the transmission to the 6-Speed Manual which was processed and accepted by Ford. He then called wanting to change his order to a 2011 Mustang GT Premium Coupe as he'd come into some additional funding. At that point his orginal Mustang V6 order was locked in for production and the Dealership was faced with having a 2011 Mustang V6 Coupe for stock which we didn't want as our customer base is heavily scewed towards GT customers. Our Dealership writes down/depreciates its "Demo" vehicles each month so we were able to convince the customer to purchase the 2010 Mustang GT Premium Coupe that I'd been driving for 3 months in part because it was in his desired color and also because of the "Demo" write down and the increased Ford incentives. I was qestioning whether the customer would actually take deliver of my 2010 Mustang GT Demo until I got the call confirming the delivery.

As such, the Dealership was left with only one 2011 Mustang in stock... a 2011 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (Black/Black Leather/Black Top/6-Speed Manual) that the Dealer Principal really didn't want to put on the road as a "Demo" vehicle. As it turned out another Ford store was desperate to get one of our left over 2010 F-350 pickups and offered us a choice of two 2011 Mustang GT Coupes. The Dealer Principal decided to take their 2011 Mustang GT/CS Coupe (Black/6-Speed Manual) instead of a 2011 Mustang GT Coupe (White/Black Leather/Brembo Brake Package) that was slightly more expensive at invoice.

FYI... Our Dealership sells a very high percentage of GT's and in past years at least 30-40% of GT sales were CS/California Special editions. Unfortunately, the 2011 Mustang GT/CS looks like a combination of a V6 Pony and a GT. The most important difference is that the 2011 Mustang GT/CS doesn't include the "5.0" fender badges which are the biggest part of identifying the 2011 Mustang GT!

• Like 1

I've been driving Mustangs, mostly GT's, as my company "Demo" for quite a few years now. For the past 3 months I was driving a 2010 Mustang GT Premium Coupe (My 3rd 2010 Mustang Premium GT in 8 months) but had driven a stock 2011 Mustang GT when it arrived.

The 2010 Mustang GT Premium Coupe that I'd been driving for 3 months only had 742 miles on it when we delivered it last Thursday. The customer that took delivery originally ordered a 2011 Mustang V6 Premium Coupe, Automatic Transmission and with the Pony Package and the Accessory Package including Side Scoops, etc after I'd spent 2-3 hours with him answering questions, etc. A few weeks ago he called to change the transmission to the 6-Speed Manual which was processed and accepted by Ford. He then called wanting to change his order to a 2011 Mustang GT Premium Coupe as he'd come into some additional funding. At that point his orginal Mustang V6 order was locked in for production and the Dealership was faced with having a 2011 Mustang V6 Coupe for stock which we didn't want as our customer base is heavily scewed towards GT customers. Our Dealership writes down/depreciates its "Demo" vehicles each month so we were able to convince the customer to purchase the 2010 Mustang GT Premium Coupe that I'd been driving for 3 months in part because it was in his desired color and also because of the "Demo" write down and the increased Ford incentives. I was qestioning whether the customer would actually take deliver of my 2010 Mustang GT Demo until I got the call confirming the delivery.

As such, the Dealership was left with only one 2011 Mustang in stock... a 2011 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (Black/Black Leather/Black Top/6-Speed Manual) that the Dealer Principal really didn't want to put on the road as a "Demo" vehicle. As it turned out another Ford store was desperate to get one of our left over 2010 F-350 pickups and offered us a choice of two 2011 Mustang GT Coupes. The Dealer Principal decided to take their 2011 Mustang GT/CS Coupe (Black/6-Speed Manual) instead of a 2011 Mustang GT Coupe (White/Black Leather/Brembo Brake Package) that was slightly more expensive at invoice.

FYI... Our Dealership sells a very high percentage of GT's and in past years at least 30-40% of GT sales were CS/California Special editions. Unfortunately, the 2011 Mustang GT/CS looks like a combination of a V6 Pony and a GT. The most important difference is that the 2011 Mustang GT/CS doesn't include the "5.0" fender badges which are the biggest part of identifying the 2011 Mustang GT!

I really like the new design on the hood and they did a great job on the chassis.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

mustang-will-depart-from-current-retro-design

I think this is a good thing. The retro thing can't last forever. A more futuristic look might attract younger buyers. Comments?

My link

I read that too. Perhaps non-retro is the way to go. I also remember a rep from Ford speaking about the new engines for '11 and how studies showed that buyers under 30 years of age won't even consider purchasing a V8. That stunned me. Back in the 80s when I was in my 20s I bought 4 new Mustang 5.0s (82 GT hatchback, 84 GT convertible, 85 GT convertible, & 89 LX hatchback) and never even considered the other engines available. The times have changed.

The next Mustang certainly needs to be hundreds of pounds lighter and probably a bit smaller on the outside. I would expect it to be RWD only, although a Lincoln version could offer AWD (think Nissan 370Z & Infiniti G37). I would expect a 250 HP turbo EB2.0L I4 as optional over a standard 200 HP 2.4L I4. Perhaps that would be enough for the base models while a 375 HP EB 3.5L V6 could be standard for the GT model and the 5.0L V8 standard on the Boss 302/Bullitt/Shelby GT/whatever.

I read that too. Perhaps non-retro is the way to go. I also remember a rep from Ford speaking about the new engines for '11 and how studies showed that buyers under 30 years of age won't even consider purchasing a V8. That stunned me. Back in the 80s when I was in my 20s I bought 4 new Mustang 5.0s (82 GT hatchback, 84 GT convertible, 85 GT convertible, & 89 LX hatchback) and never even considered the other engines available. The times have changed.

Its insurance rates that kill it for the 25 and under crowd....I was paying $2400 a year on a 1998 Mustang GT when I was 24 yrs old. I got quotes as high as $7K a year for insurance...with a perfect record!

Strange thing though, when I replaced my 02 SVT Focus (which would be popular with younger buyers supposedly) with my 06 Mustang GT, my Insurance went DOWN!

As for the non-retro thing, how far can they go with the styling? The only non-Mustang styling was with the FOX platform in the 80's and even towards the end of its production it started incorporating more retro to it (ponies etc)

Mustang styling is this:

Long hood, short deck, side scoops with a fastback style C pillar.

As for younger buyers....they have horrible job prospects and more and more are getting away from cars (or at least trying to), so the market is maturing.

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

i disagree that insurance is the problem, i only pay around 1200 per year for my 2010 GT and I am 25. But speaking with some peers i think the knowledge is out there that a modern v6 is just as powerful as the V8s of the 90s and early 2000s. Its more of a question of how fast do you need to go. in the past the v6 was slower than some family sedans but now it offers plenty of everyday performance AND good fuel economy. so while i dont think the V8 will go away (i want one) It will definitely become a smaller percentage of sales. which probably works for ford as well as it will improve the mustangs contribution to the cafe number as more of the higher economy v6s and in the future turbo 4s are bought.

i disagree that insurance is the problem, i only pay around 1200 per year for my 2010 GT and I am 25. But speaking with some peers i think the knowledge is out there that a modern v6 is just as powerful as the V8s of the 90s and early 2000s. Its more of a question of how fast do you need to go. in the past the v6 was slower than some family sedans but now it offers plenty of everyday performance AND good fuel economy. so while i dont think the V8 will go away (i want one) It will definitely become a smaller percentage of sales. which probably works for ford as well as it will improve the mustangs contribution to the cafe number as more of the higher economy v6s and in the future turbo 4s are bought.

$1200 a year for your GT? I am 29, and when I had a perfect record (rear ended someone last year... don't be sleepy and drive, my fault) but even back then my 2009 Ranger was more than that!

My 1994 Mustang GT is around $400 a year full coverage. Not bad but no 2011 5.0L either lol.

• 2 weeks later...

The next Mustang certainly needs to be hundreds of pounds lighter and probably a bit smaller on the outside. I would expect it to be RWD only, although a Lincoln version could offer AWD (think Nissan 370Z & Infiniti G37). I would expect a 250 HP turbo EB2.0L I4 as optional over a standard 200 HP 2.4L I4. Perhaps that would be enough for the base models while a 375 HP EB 3.5L V6 could be standard for the GT model and the 5.0L V8 standard on the Boss 302/Bullitt/Shelby GT/whatever.

I just hope they don't get stupid like they did in the 70's. There is a market segment and they should stay with it.Three of my grand kids can't wait to get a car like grampas' 04 GT Convert