09 Escape 6F35 Shift Flare Problem

wptski

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes. But is it the same or a new and recent one?

The 10B15 uses a certain IDS versions. The IDS version at the time of the TSB release was probably lower. If you were to have that TSB installed today, it would probably have the same effect as the 10B15 recall. As they make changes, the IDS version is updated

That TSB stated to use IDS 62.11 or higher. The 10B15 states to use IDS 65.17/66.03A or higher. Not sure why it lists two versions!

I can tell you that it also fixed another issue I had with leaving from a dead stop, a hesitation or lurch the the vehicle made is gone now.

The 10B15 uses a certain IDS versions. The IDS version at the time of the TSB release was probably lower. If you were to have that TSB installed today, it would probably have the same effect as the 10B15 recall. As they make changes, the IDS version is updated

That TSB stated to use IDS 62.11 or higher. The 10B15 states to use IDS 65.17/66.03A or higher. Not sure why it lists two versions!

I can tell you that it also fixed another issue I had with leaving from a dead stop, a hesitation or lurch the the vehicle made is gone now.

This is good news.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to show how fast the IDS is updated, there is a new TSB dated a few days ago about a problem after using the Grade Retard button causing a bunch of DTCs. They say to reflash using IDS 67.03 or higher!

Edited by wptski

• 1 month later...

I had the transmission reflash performed back in June and immediately went on a trip from Maryland to northwest Georgia. The shifting was nice and smooth and even though I was driving on the slightly mountainous portion of I-81 the gas milage was good if not better than what I have experienced on several previous trips on nice flat highways (i.e. I-95). However, once I returned to my daily commute I noticed that my gas mileage has dropped almost 2 MPG. Has anyone else experienced this sort of change?

I waited to get a job#2 2009 Mariner because of the shift flare problems I read about here, and for the first year my car was problem free. Soon after the trans reflash (at about 24,000 miles), however, I started getting hard shifts from 2-3, and a shift flare from 4-5 when cold. It got progressively worse, with the flares showing up in other gears even when the car was well warm. I took it back in, and now I'm being told that Ford has instructed the dealership to 'tear down' my transmission. Can someone else this has happened to reassure me? We like our Mariner (and are sorry to see the Merc badge go...can they add side-marker tuirn lights to the Escape now??).

• 1 month later...

Ugh, I think my early build 2009 Escape V6 Limited has the shift flare problem. Can anyone that has a good working transmission or 2010 Escape describe how smooth it is with the V6? Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I've been overall disappointed with this supposed miracle 6-speed transmission that was getting great reviews. I can't figure out if it's a problem transmission, or if the transmission is aggressively tuned with jolting shifts under light acceleration. For reference, I drove my parent's archaic 2003 Escape 4-speed automatic transmission with 135,000 miles, and it actually had smoother shifts than my 2009 6-speed under light, steady acceleration!

I'll try to describe how it feels. First off, my acceleration from a stop (the 1-2 shift I guess) or from slowing into a corner, then accelerating out....there's a slight jump, that feels like the transmission found the correct gear about 1 second too late...it actually jolts me a tad and just feels off. Then, when applying light, steady acceleration on a straight away, the transmission just clearly shifts...you can feel it rev, and then you get a very slight buck in your seat...as if it's finding the correct gear like 1-second too late. I also did notice some surging before shifts, up to 500rpm.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. If you nail the accelerator, the transmission shifts very smoothly and confidently...a steady band of aggressive acceleration without any jolting. Do I have the shift flare problem? With the way everything out of Ford has been top notch lately, I really was expecting this new 6-speed to be Lincoln-quality butter smooth, and I'm disappointed. I just bought it with 45,000 miles on it, there is no service history, and I've put 1,000 miles on it. Should I take it to a dealer? The shift flare problem would be covered under the 60,000 warranty, correct?

Edited by ddeeaallzz

• 3 weeks later...

I took my 09 Escape to the dealer for the transmission issues with 46,400 miles. He told me that it was officially recalled by Ford; I don't think this is true? Just a TSB was issued, correct?

They wrote up the job as "RECALL 10B15C - PCM REPROGRAM"

Anyway, after this was done, the bad 1-2 shift has disappeared when the transmission is warm. However, in its place are bad 2-3 or 3-4 shifts, especially when the transmission is cold. The shifts just have a slight jolting feel, and I doubt it should be this way. I think I'm going to ask them to test drive a 2010 to see how smooth it is.

Anyway, has anyone else continued to experience the shift flare or slow shifts when accelerating slow & steady AFTER getting the new PCM flash 10B15C? How long does it take for the transmission to learn and adapt before I call the dealer back and complain that it didn't help?

I'm torn what to do...

Also, I have the transmission "hoot" noise from a stop, everytime. I see there is a TSB for it. Where can I read this?

Edited by ddeeaallzz

I took my 09 Escape to the dealer for the transmission issues with 46,400 miles. He told me that it was officially recalled by Ford; I don't think this is true? Just a TSB was issued, correct?

Anyway, after this was done, the bad 1-2 shift has disappeared when the transmission is warm. However, in its place are bad 2-3 or 3-4 shifts, especially when the transmission is cold. The shifts just have a slight jolting feel, and I doubt it should be this way. I think I'm going to ask them to test drive a 2010 to see how smooth it is.

Anyway, has anyone else continued to experience the shift flare or slow shifts when accelerating slow & steady AFTER getting the new PCM flash 10B15C? How long does it take for the transmission to learn and adapt before I call the dealer back and complain that it didn't help?

I'm torn what to do...

Also, I have the transmission "hoot" noise from a stop, every time. I see there is a TSB for it. Where can I read this?

I have the '09 Escape 2.5L and received the recall notice back in May. I took it to the dealership in early June (@ 28,000 miles) and had the transmission reflashed. I then took it almost immediately on a 1600 mile round trip on flat roads and through low mountain highways in Virginia and Tennessee. I haven't noticed any shift flare problems since the reflash. The main thing I noticed was about a 2-3 mpg improvement on the highway. Initially my in-town mileage dropped about 1 mpg but that has crept back up to where it was (about 27 mpg under mostly suburb type driving conditions)

I'm torn what to do...

Also, I have the transmission "hoot" noise from a stop, everytime. I see there is a TSB for it. Where can I read this?

It was refered to as a Customer Satisfaction Program and not a TSB. Since you have over 7,000 miles, they should have performed the load test and if that failed, they'd rebuild some clurches. Some have reported that shifting was worse after the 10B15 also. All you can do is try another dealer and/or contact Ford Customer Service.

10B15B means reprogramed only

10B15C means reprogramed, load tested and passed

10B15D means reprogramed, load test failed and clutches were replaced

The "hoot" was first believed to be a 4WD only issue but now they claim that it's in the FWD vehicles caused be the transaxle drive chain. It will only reduce the sound at best and some that have it done say that it just came back after a short time.

The funny thing is that if it's the drive chain, why does it stop when you pull the fuse marked "4WD" only? Either they are wrong or the sound is transfered all the way back to the rear end.

I don't think that I've ever seen a post anywhere from a FWD owner with the "hoot" problem.

The PCM reflash of my 09 Mariner was quickly followed by the beginnings of the shift flare problem for me. The transmission valve body was replaced, but after having the car back for one day, the hard shifts and shift flares returned. I'm waiting to get the car back again. The dealership says they did some work related to a TSB issued for the valve body repair that was done previously, and for the A/T fluid level.

Is there a free source for Ford TSB information?

This whole experience is driving me back to manual transmission vehicles. Unfortunately, Ford doesn't offer Sync with a manual Escape, for some (marketing) reason.

I can confirm that after having the PCM reflash for awhile now, the shifting actually seems worse! I've gone from absolutely loving the vehicle to now worrying constantly about driving it (I feel like the transmission is going to outright fail right out of the 60k warranty). Not to mention, the city shifting is actually making me slightly motion sick.

So, apparently my Escape passed the load test when they reflashed it. Does that mean they're not going to provide further repairs to the transmission, or should I just take it back and complain some more?

I've bragged up the latest Ford vehicles to everyone repeatedly and now almost feel embarrassed for having this issue. With Ford's recent quality strides, I'd never think their new 6-speed transmission with great reviews would have these problems.

So, if I take it back to the dealer, what do you expect they'll do this time? Have they been instructed by Ford to start transmission replacement components?

Also....the shifting really seems the worst when the car has been sitting cold for a day or so. After driving it several hours, it doesn't feel all that bad. Does this information help narrow down what the problem could be?

Edited by ddeeaallzz

I can confirm that after having the PCM reflash for awhile now, the shifting actually seems worse! I've gone from absolutely loving the vehicle to now worrying constantly about driving it (I feel like the transmission is going to outright fail right out of the 60k warranty). Not to mention, the city shifting is actually making me slightly motion sick.

So, apparently my Escape passed the load test when they reflashed it. Does that mean they're not going to provide further repairs to the transmission, or should I just take it back and complain some more?

I've bragged up the latest Ford vehicles to everyone repeatedly and now almost feel embarrassed for having this issue. With Ford's recent quality strides, I'd never think their new 6-speed transmission with great reviews would have these problems.

So, if I take it back to the dealer, what do you expect they'll do this time? Have they been instructed by Ford to start transmission replacement components?

Also....the shifting really seems the worst when the car has been sitting cold for a day or so. After driving it several hours, it doesn't feel all that bad. Does this information help narrow down what the problem could be?

All you can do is take it back and complain. Nobody knows what they'll. Ford normally holds their hand on the complex problems. It depends, they might authorize a new transmission right away or it might be a long drawn out affair.

• 3 weeks later...

All you can do is take it back and complain. Nobody knows what they'll. Ford normally holds their hand on the complex problems. It depends, they might authorize a new transmission right away or it might be a long drawn out affair.

Wptski -- Thanks for all the replies and helpful info.

I have another problem with my Escape transmission that I'd like to confirm is an actual issue before I contact the dealer.

When using cruise control and holding the accelerate button to get up to speed ( and then releasing), my transmission gets stuck at 3000-4000 rpm's for about 2 seconds, then downshifts. It's a really delayed downshift with cruise control that I've never noticed on a car...isn't the process supposed to be nearly instantaneous?

Wptski -- Thanks for all the replies and helpful info.

I have another problem with my Escape transmission that I'd like to confirm is an actual issue before I contact the dealer.

When using cruise control and holding the accelerate button to get up to speed ( and then releasing), my transmission gets stuck at 3000-4000 rpm's for about 2 seconds, then downshifts. It's a really delayed downshift with cruise control that I've never noticed on a car...isn't the process supposed to be nearly instantaneous?

I've never that one but have noticed if you just hold the button down will cause a downshift at times.

• 2 years later...

bbosaw51, you really dug up an old nut here. Two things that made me trade my 2010 Fusion were, the 6F35 transmission flares, even after the reprogramming and could never be reproduced at the dealership and the coolant sloshing sound at tip in. I haven't been back to the Fusion forum for a while, so I don't know if either of these issues have been resolved, but a lot of people had them.