09 Escape 6F35 Shift Flare Problem

wptski

Anybody hear about a shift flare or reving condition between shifts on the new Ford 6F35 six-speed transmission? I was following a post in another forum where the owner of 09 Escape 3.0L with 300 miles started to have this problem.

It was diagnosed as a bad tranny, waited two weeks for a replacement which does the same thing! It was then verified by a field engineer as a shift flare. Data was sent to Dearborn, MI which came back as a known problem, no fix yet!

I have a 09 Escape 3.0L with 500 miles on it but no problem, not yet anyway!!

Anybody hear about a shift flare or reving condition between shifts on the new Ford 6F35 six-speed transmission? I was following a post in another forum where the owner of 09 Escape 3.0L with 300 miles started to have this problem.

It was diagnosed as a bad tranny, waited two weeks for a replacement which does the same thing! It was then verified by a field engineer as a shift flare. Data was sent to Dearborn, MI which came back as a known problem, no fix yet!

What exactly do you mean by "shift flare" ??? I have a 09 V6 6-speed, it is one of the best shifting trannies I've had..

Does anyone else have this issue/complaint ?????

As RPM between shifts increases, all of a sudden the RPM will increase about 400 RPM.

Apparently so because Dearborn's answer was that it's a known problem. I don,'t know of anyone else with the problem though.

Don't you think that 1-2 shift even with a light throttle is a bit harse? How about coasting down to a stop but not coming to a full stop, getting back on the throttle and have it downshift easily? You've never had this happen? It has a touchy downshift quirk.

The other user mentioned downshifts of two gears on hilly roads where their Ford Focus and Ford Ranger only downshifts one gear. I tested this but thought using cruise control to keep the speed constant. Bad idea as it downshifted one gear into one hill and another over the top. It startled me as I wasn't expecting the second downshift. It's not suggested to use CC on hilly roads, one reason is "they" suggest poorer feul economy. The same hill without CC, I got a one gear downshift from 6-5

Oh, I forgot to mention that the second tranny is blowing oil out the fill tube althogh the level was adjusted twice by the dealer!!

1800 miles on mine (V6 6sp)...Only issue was the steering wheel was off center...alignment fixed that..Anyone who complains about the shifting of the new tranny should drive the previous 4-speed, they will then realize the huge improvement.....

As for the "flare" complaint..Over the years, with many different vehicles, once in while I have encountered an erratic shift...when the RPMs and speed are just right ant tranny may "slip/flare" just a little or even shift harder than you feel like it should.

I was going to purchase last spring and waited for the 09 drivetrain upgrades and am extremely glad I did....

Has anyone else with the V6 had any issues ????

Our 09 V6 has been flawless so far. Just about 2000 miles. The shifts are mostly so smooth you can not feel them.

I read about the 300 mile problem on FTE. Not sure what to make of that situation.

We waited for 09 for the extra 40 horses and the 6 speed. so far so good. I know the wife is very happy and thats what matters.

What exactly do you mean by "shift flare" ??? I have a 09 V6 6-speed, it is one of the best shifting trannies I've had..

Does anyone else have this issue/complaint ?????

the trans is made at van dyke plant it is brand new trans one of the best ever built but like all trans some have bugs in them it replaced the old ax4n trans will get better

the trans is made at van dyke plant it is brand new trans one of the best ever built but like all trans some have bugs in them it replaced the old ax4n trans will get better

The shift flare may not be a tranny problem but a control issue although not everybody has the problem. Not sure about the fluid blowing out the fill tube! The person has another problem with the tranny that I won't get into here. Six months is a bit longish to find a problem! Would you like to wait that long?

I know where it's built. I worked at the Van Dyke Plant for a little over a year in around 1980, got laid off, returned to the Sterling Plant(Home plant), only a mile or so away, where I retired this year.

Edited by wptski

Hello guys,

I have a 09 escape 2.5 liters with 2000 kms and the tranny is working like a charm. It was cold outisde here this morning (-30 degrees) but I had the block heater plugged in and it started like in summer. The tranny was cold but still operated well.

Mine is 4wd XLT and that thing is unstopable in the snow. We had like 1 foot of snow last week and in uncleaned roads it went and went in the powder...crazy fun :) The TCS is great for regular driving but too much obtrusive when you want to have fun. Pressing the turn off button allowed some wheelspin but was still active when cornering...strange.

The small issue I have with mine is that when I take it, the first time(and frist time only) I go to about 45miles/hour I will feel a slight,short vibration in the gaz pedal no matter how fast I am accelarating. I wonder if that has something to do with the 4wd system.... I dont know anyone experience this? My streering wheel is a tad off-center also, very little. I'll check for an alignment at spring.

Hello guys,

I have a 09 escape 2.5 liters with 2000 kms and the tranny is working like a charm. It was cold outisde here this morning (-30 degrees) but I had the block heater plugged in and it started like in summer. The tranny was cold but still operated well.

Mine is 4wd XLT and that thing is unstopable in the snow. We had like 1 foot of snow last week and in uncleaned roads it went and went in the powder...crazy fun :) The TCS is great for regular driving but too much obtrusive when you want to have fun. Pressing the turn off button allowed some wheelspin but was still active when cornering...strange.

The small issue I have with mine is that when I take it, the first time(and frist time only) I go to about 45miles/hour I will feel a slight,short vibration in the gaz pedal no matter how fast I am accelarating. I wonder if that has something to do with the 4wd system.... I dont know anyone experience this? My streering wheel is a tad off-center also, very little. I'll check for an alignment at spring.

The vibration in the gas pedal is the AdvanceTrac resetting itself which is normal and is in the owner's manual.

That's what so odd about this problem, not all have it!!

Edited by wptski

Try page 205 under Driving.

Looked in my manual (french canadian version) and could not find it in page 205, or anywhere else. But still I believe you when you say this is normal behavior.

One other little thing that is bugging me about the tranny was the last couple of times I took the car, in very cold weather here (about -4 Fahrenheit ), I noticed a strange behavior on the 6th gear on the highway. Normally the engine runs a tad bellow 2k RPM when cruising at 60mph (4cyl). on a few occasion (and it was very cold) the engine was at more like 2100 rpm on the same speed. Not quite 5th gear, but not a fully "regular" 6th neither. Now when pushing on gaz i could not detect any sleepage and the rpm eventually got down to under 2k. is this a kind of warm up mode? I am puzzled with this because as far as my knowledge goes, there is no way to explain this higher rpm than normal behavior.

still, when everything warmed up, everything worked smoothly!.. so it lasted like 5 mins.

any inputs?

Looked in my manual (french canadian version) and could not find it in page 205, or anywhere else. But still I believe you when you say this is normal behavior.

One other little thing that is bugging me about the tranny was the last couple of times I took the car, in very cold weather here (about -4 Fahrenheit ), I noticed a strange behavior on the 6th gear on the highway. Normally the engine runs a tad bellow 2k RPM when cruising at 60mph (4cyl). on a few occasion (and it was very cold) the engine was at more like 2100 rpm on the same speed. Not quite 5th gear, but not a fully "regular" 6th neither. Now when pushing on gaz i could not detect any sleepage and the rpm eventually got down to under 2k. is this a kind of warm up mode? I am puzzled with this because as far as my knowledge goes, there is no way to explain this higher rpm than normal behavior.

still, when everything warmed up, everything worked smoothly!.. so it lasted like 5 mins.

any inputs?

On Page 205, top half of the page mentions the self test. Below that are five bullets, it's the third one down.

No doubt that the tranny shifts differently when cold for sure, so it could be that if it doesn't do that after warming up. It might have something to do with the TTC(transmission torque converter). I understand that it locks up in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. The owner with the shift flare problem has also stated that they can feel the TTC lock up with a slight change in RPM too. I don't know that exact details about this issue. I've never noticed any change in RPM other than shift points.

Edited by wptski

On Page 205, top half of the page mentions the self test. Below that are five bullets, it's the third one down.

No doubt that the tranny shifts differently when cold for sure, so it could be that if it doesn't do that after warming up. It might have something to do with the TTC(transmission torque converter). I understand that it locks up in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. The owner with the shift flare problem has also stated that they can feel the TTC lock up with a slight change in RPM too. I don't know that exact details about this issue. I've never noticed any change in RPM other than shift points.

guess its the exteme weather we have here then. I took it today and it worked flawlessly. this tranny is really smooth and i enjoy it verymuch. and anyway i'm backed with the 5 year warrenty if someting bad happens.

love the car so far.

thanks

guess its the exteme weather we have here then. I took it today and it worked flawlessly. this tranny is really smooth and i enjoy it verymuch. and anyway i'm backed with the 5 year warrenty if someting bad happens.

love the car so far.

thanks

Don't you think that it doesn't take much throttle to cause the transmission to downshift?

Don't you think that it doesn't take much throttle to cause the transmission to downshift?

I like it that way...the auto trans I had before took everything to downshift and I found that to be annoying. NOw at least when I want to merge/take over The car downshift promptly and goes. Much easier to drive.

the 6th is very low tho, and it hard to keep it when there is an incline. maybe the 4cyl isnt able to keep up :)

I like it that way...the auto trans I had before took everything to downshift and I found that to be annoying. NOw at least when I want to merge/take over The car downshift promptly and goes. Much easier to drive.

the 6th is very low tho, and it hard to keep it when there is an incline. maybe the 4cyl isnt able to keep up :)

My last vehicle was a 5-speed manual, so a automatic is a bit new to me! If your slowing down for whatever and the situation changes. This is where getting back on the throttle must be done lightly because it doesn't take much to cause a downshift, higher RPM and engine roar. Just seems a bit too touchy for me!

My V6 downshifts from 6>5th gear on hills also. The owner with the shift flare problem mentioned the downshift on hills to me. A live in a flat area but found a local hilly road. I had the cruise ON. A long incline, nothing happened. I hit a shorted, steeper hill, it downshifted into the hill and again over the rise which startled me!! Cruise is not suggested on hilly roads and even said to decrease fuel economy.

We have an 09 Escape Limited V6 4WD. The motor and trans are amazing. 3,400mi. The cool thing, no ONE of the cool things about it is the SOUND the V6 makes under full throttle. Also, under full throttle there is a slight pause between shifts, kind of like your are letting off the gas to shift manually. Maybe that is what you are experiencing??

So far, it is a FLAWLESS vehicle. The build quality is like the car was hand made. Good Job QC!