Theology

From the time a child is born until he is 18, do not expose the child to religon or the bible. On his 18th birthday, give the now adult a bible. Ask him to read the bible. Now ask if he is a believer. You will have more luck getting him to believe in Santa Claus. I believe that more is accomplished when you have faith in yourself.

Scripture really scares you that much or what people do with it and in the name of it?

Peace and Blessings

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the time a child is born until he is 18, do not expose the child to religon or the bible. On his 18th birthday, give the now adult a bible. Ask him to read the bible. Now ask if he is a believer. You will have more luck getting him to believe in Santa Claus. I believe that more is accomplished when you have faith in yourself.

One does not become a believer simply by reading the Bible.

Nor is/was Christianity spread exclusively through parents simply indoctrinating their children.

There ARE adults who came to the Lord of their own volition. I chose to be baptized when I was 22 (NOTE: This is not a prerequisite of faith, either). I had been a pseudo-believer as an adolescent. I believed there was "something out there", but I did not grow up in the Church, at my father's direction. My father did exactly as you say above. He (a believer himself) did not want me to grow up in the Church.

Not until I was an adult did I truly understand what it means to have faith in God. When I became a father, it cemented my belief.

You could argue that my belief is based on a narcissitic obsession where I project my self-love to my children; this being a natural result of evolutionary progression where those with this attitude value and care for their offspring more, therefore passing on the successful trait.

I would counter that if this trait were successful, we would likely not be "evolving away from God" as many would have us think.

It is society's own narcissism that allows us to turn away from God, and instill us with an unhealthy belief that we can do anything, solve any problem, and deny that humans do evil (and God forbid we confront them).

I would counter that if this trait were successful, we would likely not be "evolving away from God" as many would have us think.

We aren't evolving away from God. We're evolving away from religion. Polls done not long ago show that a large number of people in the US consider themselves to be spiritual rather than religious.

We aren't evolving away from God. We're evolving away from religion. Polls done not long ago show that a large number of people in the US consider themselves to be spiritual rather than religious.

I understand what you are saying, but I see things differently.

When many define themselves as being "spiritual", I see an attempt to define oneself as being superior over others.

Being "spritual" sounds just religious enough to get by, but (for me) means the person believes in the ubiquitousness of himself.

To me that seems very narrow minded. I don't consider myself religious, but I believe in God. I would fit into that spiritual category.

I'm not arguing against your definition of sprituality. I'm arguing against the notion that a person can be spiritual, without being subordinate to God.

I presume your belief puts you into the position of inferiority to God. You acknowledge that some things are beyond your control.

What I am saying is that many (again, based on my perspective) put themselves on par with a god, not subordinate.

(NOTE: I'm trying as best I can to maintain the distance between dogma and theism)

Narrow-minded is the conclusion you've drawn, based on the narrow path I'm trying to follow here.

Edited by RangerM

I'm not arguing against your definition of sprituality. I'm arguing against the notion that a person can be spiritual, without being subordinate to God.

I presume your belief puts you into the position of inferiority to God. You acknowledge that some things are beyond your control.

What I am saying is that many (again, based on my perspective) put themselves on par with a god, not subordinate.

(NOTE: I'm trying as best I can to maintain the distance between dogma and theism)

Narrow-minded is the conclusion you've drawn, based on the narrow path I'm trying to follow here.

I apologize for calling you narrow minded and I think I may even agree with what your saying now that I understand. Yes, I'm sure there many people who have the view your talking about. Your right I do see myself as inferior to God and I'm sure there are many people that share that view, religious or otherwise.

What man cannot explain, he makes up a story for. Religons are stories.

The problem is that Man Made stores would always have the god serving man in some way.

Christianity, Scripturan Christianity is about a righteous God that we can not compare to that does all the Work because we are incapable of it.

Even if just a 'story' what is in there that even possibly threatens man kind?

Peace and Blessings

I thought that maybe that was going to be an intelligent and logical position of debate but then it quickly degenerated into nothing. But I will try a little.

Nothing will prove to you that Christianity is correct other than you be called and you answer the call. Nothing else will do it period.

Different accounts of Jesus' life in no way invalidate Jesus. They do not all have to be carbon copies.

It is not to difficult to figure out what forms of birth control stand up to scripture.

I don't go a brick and mortar church.

Scripture causes me to get sleepy but I have never known it to induce glazed looks, hypnotize, or any other ideas you have. Well, I suppose that if you combined scripture with LSD or something.

Your very funny. You sound like the type of guy that would be more scarred of 4 Christians walking down a dark alley at night that just got out of a bible study than you would be of 4 kids doing who knows what in that alley at night. Perhaps you would even feel more safe with recent inmate parolees in that dark alleyway than those 4 Christians. That is too bad.

I know your all in this for the fun. But you have one confused mind.

Peace and Blessings

I have Aboriginal roots. Before the white man came, my people never heard of Jesus Christ, and if they never came, we still would not have heard of him, and if there are people elsewhere in the universe, they never heard of him either. It is just a made up story. It is not healthy to dwell on this crap too much, and it is abuse to force it on children. It is a crutch for weak people, but there is a down side as it is dumbing them down. I am not the one who is confused. I see things clearly. My perception is not clouded by myth and superstition.

Edited by Trimdingman

The problem is that Man Made stores would always have the god serving man in some way.

Christianity, Scripturan Christianity is about a righteous God that we can not compare to that does all the Work because we are incapable of it.

Even if just a 'story' what is in there that even possibly threatens man kind?

Peace and Blessings

Sorry, but God was not portrayed as righteous until the new testament.

I have a question for you, since you have brought scripture into my intelligent thread. If god is perfect, and everything he does is perfect, then how is it possible that something with so many mistakes can be his word?

I have a question for you, since you have brought scripture into my intelligent thread. If god is perfect, and everything he does is perfect, then how is it possible that something with so many mistakes can be his word?

God is the light.

We are the lens.

Any religious (or divinely-inspired) text is subject to any flaws that the lens had when the light is put to paper.

That simply shows your understanding or lack there of as it pertains to scripture.

I did not know this was Your thread?

I also do not see where I brought scripture into it? In fact, I was simply responding to what others were saying. Clearly you have an axe to grind with me. Not that I mind. But not like I am ignorant either.

Mistakes? All sorts of mistakes. Like in Mat 28:1. But not mistakes in the original copy.

Peace and Blessings

That simply shows your understanding or lack there of as it pertains to scripture.

I did not know this was Your thread?

I also do not see where I brought scripture into it? In fact, I was simply responding to what others were saying. Clearly you have an axe to grind with me. Not that I mind. But not like I am ignorant either.

Mistakes? All sorts of mistakes. Like in Mat 28:1. But not mistakes in the original copy.

Peace and Blessings

Maybe there is a god. He is pretty secretive, you have to admit. Maybe it is like us when we find some lost tribe and we don't want our presence to be known to them because it would upset their way of life. It could be the same with God. Then you have these hotshots like Jesus, Moses, and Mohammed running around spilling the beans and starting up religions to out Him. If he could, he would be telling them to STFU. He didn't send these clowns.

Maybe there is a god. He is pretty secretive, you have to admit. Maybe it is like us when we find some lost tribe and we don't want our presence to be known to them because it would upset their way of life. It could be the same with God. Then you have these hotshots like Jesus, Moses, and Mohammed running around spilling the beans and starting up religions to out Him. If he could, he would be telling them to STFU. He didn't send these clowns.

Are you calling Jesus a clown?!?! God is secretive? Look around you. Think for a moment.

Are you calling Jesus a clown?!?! God is secretive? Look around you. Think for a moment.

I did a 360. I didn't see no Jesus or god. Did Jesus exist? What did he look like? How many Jesus impersonators were there? Anybody who had a good voice, and knew how to read could stand on a soap box and pass a hat. I heard that the term "risen" doesn't mean coming back to life. It means that someone important "rises" to the defense of the condemned and obtains a pardon.

Edited by Trimdingman

I did a 360. I didn't see no Jesus or god. Did Jesus exist? What did he look like? How many Jesus impersonators were there? Anybody who had a good voice, and knew how to read could stand on a soap box and pass a hat. I heard that the term "risen" doesn't mean coming back to life. It means that someone important "rises" to the defense of the condemned and obtains a pardon.

How many other things did you also not see, but accept as real based on what others have told/taught you?

How many other things did you also not see, but accept as real based on what others have told/taught you?

I do not believe anything, especially something that I can't see, that they are pushing on children. It should be against the law. At least they are allowed to give up believing in Santa Claus. This Godzilla Jesus Claus never ends. This hocus pocus is just for primitive savages, not modern man. You are the one who blindly believes in fairy tales. Are you going to teach me something? I don't think so.

Edited by Trimdingman

I do not believe anything, especially something that I can't see, that they are pushing on children. It should be against the law. At least they are allowed to give up believing in Santa Claus. This Godzilla Jesus Claus never ends. This hocus pocus is just for primitive savages, not modern man. You are the one who blindly believes in fairy tales. Are you going to teach me something? I don't think so.

There is a well balanced and well thought out plan. Make religion illegal. Cause so many peoples lives are ruined by morals and ethics and kindness let alone God. Why the world is just teaming with the horrible pains of religion.

I forget that like 90% of all murders, tortures and other crimes, and immoral behavior and unending ethical failures are NOT due to those that hate religion let alone hate a Christian God like Stalin and Pol Pot did. But are caused by people doing their best to follow world wide accepted norms of morals and ethics that come from Christianity.

One thing is very clear. You hate God so much you might even believe in Him more than I do!

Less than 100 years ago it was illegal to teach evolution in school and the bible was used up till the 60's. Man those people were such savagbes and their kids were just purveyors of destruction and evil! :hysterical:

No one is going to teach you anything. That is abundantly clear.