Obama Wins!!!

I'm disappointed, but not shocked in all honesty. I am more disappointed that Prop 8 looks as if its gonna pass, Prop 2 is gonna pass, and a bunch of other money wasting propositions in CA are probably gonna pass too. THAT irks me more than the Obama Presidency. I felt stronger about more of the propositions than i felt about Obama winning. As i said before, even though i didnt vote for him, in the last couple weeks it became clear that the McCain campaign was out of steam. Oh well.

Gotta say McCain is quite a nice guy as well but he had a bigger hill to climb, but l think the best guy won.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm enjoying reading the "oh My God I gotta leave the country, doom and gloom, because Obama won" posts. I mean, considering what W. has done with the country, and your still here, these people are planning on leaving because of Obama ? Such drama queens. Ironically all those who supported W. on this website years ago, and how DARE anyone speak bad of him because they would flame you for it, happen to be very silent the past year. I even have friends losing their houses (well deserved too) yet, they you would think they are bed with W. because they still praise him.

I've been getting calls from clients and family overseas not so much in awe about the election and happy people didn't go with McSame and happy the village idiot is leaving the White House.

I just got back from having coffee with my next door neighbor who's a pastor in a local church. Yeah they are't very happy either. They wanted McSame and tell me in confidence they just don't want a black President. I tell them "Well I thought you were a bit open minded about that, I mean, you own 3 Hondas, so I didnt think you were strictly conservative like that if your sending money overseas". Wow what a blow it'll be when they find out their son is gay cause I saw him making out with another guy at the park down the street. And the daughter is an atheist as this point since she grew up with having religion forced down her throat 24/7 which they are having a hard time dealing with that one. (sigh) and they are worried about Presidential drama....they have enough under their roof. :)

Edited by ANTAUS

I'm enjoying reading the "oh My God I gotta leave the country, doom and gloom, because Obama won" posts. I mean, considering what W. has done with the country, and your still here, these people are planning on leaving because of Obama ? Such drama queens. Ironically all those who supported W. on this website years ago, and how DARE anyone speak bad of him because they would flame you for it, happen to be very silent the past year. I even have friends losing their houses (well deserved too) yet, they you would think they are bed with W. because they still praise him.

I've been getting calls from clients and family overseas not so much in awe about the election and happy people didn't go with McSame and happy the village idiot is leaving the White House.

I just got back from having coffee with my next door neighbor who's a pastor in a local church. Yeah they are't very happy either. They wanted McSame and tell me in confidence they just don't want a black President. I tell them "Well I thought you were a bit open minded about that, I mean, you own 3 Hondas, so I didnt think you were strictly conservative like that if your sending money overseas". Wow what a blow it'll be when they find out their son is gay cause I saw him making out with another guy at the park down the street. And the daughter is an atheist as this point since she grew up with having religion forced down her throat 24/7 which they are having a hard time dealing with that one. (sigh) and they are worried about Presidential drama....they have enough under their roof. :)

FWIW I am a registered Democrat, never voted for Bush and I still don't like W. I couldnt bring myself to vote for a person that barely had experience in his office, had no track record of running anything of substance or anything on the scale of what he was running for.

I couldn't bring myself to do it this time either. So much for change.

Tears ?? First he is Bi Racial. This the black community forgets. His Black Father ran out on him and he was raised by white Grandparents and at times by his white mother. Seems this part is always forgotton by the Black Community...Why ?

You don't have clue. Not a clue...i feel sorry for you too. Obama is black, though bi racial. He considers himself black, and the country and the world consider himself black as well. He looks black. His wife is black. His children are black.

You say that Obamas dad "ran out" on the family? How does that have anything to do with African Americans feeling a sense of pride today because a person of color...a black person at that, and one of such admirable substance...broke a barrier that many felt couldn't be done....certainly not in their lifetime.

FYI....Most Bi Racial people, who are at least 50% black, are considered black. There are exceptions to the rule....but if a person who is biracial has the physical features associated with black folks....they are often seen as black. Tiger Woods doesn't consider himself black....but it doesn't matter because most people consider him to be black....including African Americans.

You don't have a clue....must be nice to be so far removed from life as a minority that you post ignorance like this in confidence! I do pity you....

You don't have clue. Not a clue...i feel sorry for you too. Obama is black, though bi racial. He considers himself black, and the country and the world consider himself black as well. He looks black. His wife is black. His children are black.

You say that Obamas dad "ran out" on the family? How does that have anything to do with African Americans feeling a sense of pride today because a person of color...a black person at that, and one of such admirable substance...broke a barrier that many felt couldn't be done....certainly not in their lifetime.

FYI....Most Bi Racial people, who are at least 50% black, are considered black. There are exceptions to the rule....but if a person who is biracial has the physical features associated with black folks....they are often seen as black. Tiger Woods doesn't consider himself black....but it doesn't matter because most people consider him to be black....including African Americans.

You don't have a clue....must be nice to be so far removed from life as a minority that you post ignorance like this in confidence! I do pity you....

What a ridiculous argument from both sides. Race is nothing more than genetics. At least that's all it should be. It shouldn't be about culture or community. And the term "African-American" is just freaking stupid. Do they call blacks in England "African-English"? What about blacks in Australia? Are those "African-Australians"? No, they are just black people. To me they are just people. :shrug:

Everyone who has not seen W, should do so. It will give you an insight as to WHY McCain lost. What really gets me burning is that many, many people do not think about why we are in the shape we're in. The phony war, the loss of jobs and trade, the jocularity of our President and the total lack of respect in the world because of the exiting administration. Why are these deeds continually and conveniently forgotten? I have missed two elections since 1972. Watching the winniner speak last night has restored my faith in our country because Republicans ran a program of 8 years of GREED. Screw anyone who couldn't play with them. Now, with the wacky bailout and the rest of the mess that W will leave in his sandbox, Obama will have to be on top of his game. McCain made a great speech, but will Republicans honor what he said? One thing I am very thankful for is that Sarah will have to go back to Alaska and watch Russia from her window. They say she has a promising future in her party. God help them.

What a ridiculous argument from both sides. Race is nothing more than genetics. At least that's all it should be. It shouldn't be about culture or community. And the term "African-American" is just freaking stupid. Do they call blacks in England "African-English"? What about blacks in Australia? Are those "African-Australians"? No, they are just black people. To me they are just people. :shrug:

I agree 100%. I've always hated the labels. But, in the case of Obama, he really is an African-American, his dad was from Kenya & his mom was from Kansas.

Everyone who has not seen W, should do so. It will give you an insight as to WHY McCain lost. What really gets me burning is that many, many people do not think about why we are in the shape we're in. The phony war, the loss of jobs and trade, the jocularity of our President and the total lack of respect in the world because of the exiting administration. Why are these deeds continually and conveniently forgotten? I have missed two elections since 1972. Watching the winniner speak last night has restored my faith in our country because Republicans ran a program of 8 years of GREED. Screw anyone who couldn't play with them. Now, with the wacky bailout and the rest of the mess that W will leave in his sandbox, Obama will have to be on top of his game. McCain made a great speech, but will Republicans honor what he said? One thing I am very thankful for is that Sarah will have to go back to Alaska and watch Russia from her window. They say she has a promising future in her party. God help them.

It's all Bush's fault. :yup:

With Obama in there, everyone is going to fart rainbows and there will be a chicken in every pot. Thank God for "change".

:rolleyes:

You are right about the genetics, but in this country it all goes back to the issue of slavery. Please don't take that as a racist comment, because I don't mean it that way. My great-great grandfather came to this country from Germany with a small wooden box under his arm which held all his worldly possessions. He came here all by himself, in search of a better life. He spoke not a word of english, but fought with the Union army during the Civil War, and it is people like him that made us all one great nation and I have never felt it necessary to call myself a German-American.

So, Asian-American is stupid too? Think about this....African Americans call themselves that because we don't have any other frame of reference to go by. If your grandparents or great grandparents where Irish, or German, or Polish, or something else....you can trace your roots back to Europe to know where you came from. We can't.

African Americans simply know that they are 3-5 generations away from slavery...give or take a few. And the exact part of African from which our ancestors came....we don't know. I'm 1/2 Jamaican, so I'm not as bad. But none of my Jamaican side can tell me where in Africa their ancestors come from either.

When you see the [CULTURE] - American hyphen going on...its for a very good reason....even if you can't understand it or don't agree with it. In the case of blacks, up until know we always felt like a sub-culture of the traditional Americana. Not quite American....in terms of acceptance....but we're here...so we gotta be something. I see no difference between folks who identify themselves at Jewish-American, or Asian-American.

So, Asian-American is stupid too?

Yes. Yes it is.

Think about this....African Americans call themselves that because we don't have any other frame of reference to go by. If your grandparents or great grandparents where Irish, or German, or Polish, or something else....you can trace your roots back to Europe to know where you came from. We can't.

There are plenty of white people who have no idea what their roots are. Do we call them European-Americans? No, we don't.

When you see the [CULTURE] - American hyphen going on...its for a very good reason....even if you can't understand it or don't agree with it. In the case of blacks, up until know we always felt like a sub-culture of the traditional Americana. Not quite American....in terms of acceptance....but we're here...so we gotta be something. I see no difference between folks who identify themselves at Jewish-American, or Asian-American.

I think terms like "Jewish-American" and "Asian-American" are silly too.

Signed,

Nick, the German-Polish-European-American.

Edited by NickF1011

In my mind things could have been different had Mac stayed a "true" Maverick and NOT picked Palin as a potential VP. I really think she cost him a lot. At the end of the day, though, age may have also been a significant factor. For a heated and ugly race, he showed a lot of class tonight with his speech.

And yeah, I am one of those who think it is scary to have democrats controlling everything. :huh:

If I hear one more person use the "old age" excuse I think I'll throw up. That and the "I was for him until he chose Palin as his VP." Two tired excuses! The mainstream media never even gave her a chance. McCain has a helluva lot more experience than Obama and unless you know something that none of us knows, McCain could outlive you. I have relatives who say the same thing and they're all die-hard democrats who hated that Hillary didn't get the nod, so they used all those same tired excuses to vote for Obama.

Now you say you're "scared". Well, duh! I'll be more interested in what you have to say in 4 yrs.

If I hear one more person use the "old age" excuse I think I'll throw up. That and the "I was for him until he chose Palin as his VP." Two tired excuses! The mainstream media never even gave her a chance. McCain has a helluva lot more experience than Obama and unless you know something that none of us knows, McCain could outlive you. I have relatives who say the same thing and they're all die-hard democrats who hated that Hillary didn't get the nod, so they used all those same tired excuses to vote for Obama.

Now you say you're "scared". Well, duh! I'll be more interested in what you have to say in 4 yrs.

It's going to be bad.....both from an economic standpoint and security standpoint.....most of the middle east nations that spawn terrorist were hoping obama would win...there's a reason for that...they know he's weak and inexperienced and as biden has already warned (incert excuses) they expect to be tested....and biden went on to say that everyone would have to be patient with them (incert more excuses)....we already know biden thinks obama is weak and inexperienced, he said so during the primaries....this is going to be a rough 4 years....

Watching the winniner speak last night has restored my faith in our country because Republicans ran a program of 8 years of GREED. Screw anyone who couldn't play with them. Now, with the wacky bailout and the rest of the mess that W will leave in his sandbox,

Is stimulating the economy the solution? How do we square Earth's finite resources with the fact that as the economy grows, the amount of natural resources needed to sustain the economy must grow too? It has taken all of human history for the economy to reach its curent size. On current form it will take just two decades to double.

The current financial debacle is really not aliquidity crisis, It is a crisis of overgrowth of financial assets relative to growth of real wealth,

pretty much the opposite of too little liquidity. Financial assets have grown by a large multiple of the real economy, paper exchanging for paper is now 20 times greater than exchanges of paper for real commodities. this explains why the value of the vastly more abundant financial assets has fallen in terms of real assets. Real wealth is concrete; financial assets are abstraction, existing real wealth carries a lien on it in the amount of future debt.

The value of present real weatlth is not enough to serve as a lien to guarantee the exploding debt. and the debt is being devalued in terms of existing wealth. No one wants to trade real present wealth for debt even at high interest rates. This is because the debt is worth much less, not because there is not enough money or credit, or because “banks are not lending to each other” as commentators often say.

. To keep up the illusion that growth is making us richer we deferred costs by issuing financial assets almost without limit, aned conveniently forgetting that these so

called assets are, for society as a whole, debts to be paid back out of future real growth.

Mathematical realism. Eat what you kill. The bottom line. Greed is good. Graphs and flow charts and metrics for success. All social organization is based on profit as the unifying force and engine of the common good and even social justice; worship the market, even as you corrupt it.

And so this is how we can rationalize privatizing war. At last look, with 630 corporations like Blackwater and Halliburton getting 40% of the $2 billion spent each week in Iraq, no one can doubt the corporatist dominance of the war machine.

. The government's job is to create opptimal conditions for corporate profit, to privatize everything in sight and to sell off its own body parts. To literally devour itself.

So we have laws that allow borrowing money against derivatives , basically a bet between two people who create nothing without collateral. They leveraged the public financial health on something you wouldn't be allowed to do in Vegas. It illustrates the corruption that has become institutionalized through deregulation and a culture of predatory greed.

Some believe economies must serve humanity and not the other way around. Economies must make a moral connection to the republic.

In the new era, we must remove fundamentalist right wing economists as the high priests and kings.

We should worship God if we want to, not the markets.

The whole world is pleased Obama made it to President, all of the UK newspapers really like Obama the newspaper reviews are a lot better than rave review Bushie got last time around from the British Press.

mirror.jpg

I think someone will issue one with Obama's picture on it and type in the final popular vote for Obama and "change" the word dumb to stupid.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

It's all Bush's fault. :yup:

With Obama in there, everyone is going to fart rainbows and there will be a chicken in every pot. Thank God for "change".

:rolleyes:

I'd like to see these assholes in this country who will still blame Bush for everything, try blaming him next year, the year after that. Especially when everything gets worse! Gas prices, etc... :finger::finger::finger::finger:

Then what?

One other thing... Did anybody catch Fox News this morning when they were playing a video clip along with the story of the celebrations in front of the White House overnight.

The video clip showed people cheering up and down as expected, but was absolutely offending, disturbing and troubling is that somebody came in with the old Soviet Union flag. Red background, hammer and sickle in the upper left corner.

This concerns me... You Obama voters wanted change right?

This ain't change. This is the beginning of the end of our country as we once knew it.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

One other thing... Did anybody catch Fox News this morning when they were playing a video clip along with the story of the celebrations in front of the White House overnight.

The video clip showed people cheering up and down as expected, but was absolutely offending, disturbing and troubling is that somebody came in with the old Soviet Union flag. Red background, hammer and sickle in the upper left corner.

This concerns me... You Obama voters wanted change right?

This ain't change. This is the beginning of the end of our country as we once knew it.

Obama's comments the other day about creating a "civilian security force" "as powerful and well-funded as the military" raised my eyebrow a little also.

Arab country's consider him Arab.

Sorry,had to throw that in .

I'd like to see these assholes in this country who will still blame Bush for everything, try blaming him next year, the year after that. Especially when everything gets worse! Gas prices, etc... :finger::finger::finger::finger:

Then what?

I don't normally partake in political discussions but here's my take on it.

The problem with being in control is that you get the blame when things go wrong. The independent voters opted for change and will have high expectations for Obama and the Dems to make things better. If they don't deliver, the fickle voters could very well return control of Congress to Repubs in two years (or at least an erosion of the Dem majority) in much the same way they did with Clinton.