Obama Wins!!!

Now for reality time...

Big money is made when the deck gets reshuffled. You all know what is going to happen, and you have time to position yourselves accordingly.

The military is going to get cut dramatically, the money for social programs has to come from some where. The combination of a young untested president in combination with a weakened military will invite a test from the some odd corner of the world. The shock and surprise will turn into a mad rush to rebuild the military. It happened to Kennedy, and it will happen again now. Even Joe Biden is saying this. Give Boeing etc. time to drop... and then get back in at the bottom

Unemployment will sky rocket. The promise of higher capital gains taxes will pull money out of business investment. The response will be government work programs which always mean highway construction because they can borrow against the gas tax revenue (look for higher gas taxes). Invest in companies that build infrastructure. There will be blue collar opportunities for union construction. Trades: rejoice!

Carbon taxes, no nuclear power plants, no drilling, and no new refineries, will mean higher energy costs. Invest in Canadian energy royalty trusts, and energy conservation suppliers. You will be adding insulation to your house, and the government will subsidize it.

Ford and GM will get bailed out based on a UAW approved job preservation program. The stock will go up temporarily, but since the money will go to pay for jobs first, no new efficiencies will develop, the car designs won't be any better, and long term both GM and Ford will falter. Take the ride up, and then get out.

Health care jobs will pay less due to reduced payments from the new government health care system. This will produce a crisis and the fix will be to significantly increase the cost of coverage to above current rates, in the name of reduced waiting times. Good luck on this one, but now is no time to become a doctor or a nurse. Look for WalMart to set up walk in no fee clinics staffed with Philippine doctors and nurses. Say good bye to having a doctor that knows who you are.

The best jobs will be government positions. Start working now to find the best fit for you, and preferably the Federal Government. In particular, look for opportunities in Carbon Tax and Carbon trading regulation. There will be significant opportunities to work as regulators, inspectors and many other clip board jobs.

Internationally, the US will be much more popular, but not respected, as our continued downward spiral "proves" the demise of capitalism. The dollar will drop in value as the decline in business activity caused by aggressive tax policy keeps the US out of world markets. Protectionist tariffs start to pop up in several markets leading to reactionary moves by trading partners. Prices rise as imports are "limited". The Canadian Dollar is your friend. Try to shift any currency holding you have to CDN$.

The smart money will be in the British Virgin Islands, and Hong Kong. Wealthy Americans will only bring dollars into the US as needed for direct expenses. (earnings are not taxed until they are brought into the US) Most international transactions will happen in the Euro. Increasingly large transactions will occur outside the US. Look for Big Growth in Bermuda, the Bahamas, the British Virgin Islands, Macau, Panama, and other islands of capitalism. If you have more than $250K get it out of the US now. Income taxes are going to rise, but they will be the least of your problems if you keep your money outside the US.

Local governments will increase property taxes and fees to the extent that you will be challenged to keep your home in retirement. Start looking now at Mexico, and Panama for enclaves of US ex-pat retirees. They will welcome your social security income with preferential treatment. If you like the way that Toyota gets tax abatement's, well, now it is your turn.

Life in the US will not be horrible, in fact it will probably be a lot like the late 70's during the Carter Administration. How things would have been under McCain is irrelevant. It would be different, but probably not any better. I supported Obama, because I knew he was going to win. Can any of you think of a good reason to support the loser? Your situation is in your hands regardless of who is President. The only dumb thing you can do is to fail to act, waiting for any President to change your life. If you ended up on the bad side of the Bush administration, shame on you. If you end up on the bad side of the Obama administration, shame on you. If you believed that either of them was really able to deliver the heaven on earth they promised, shame on you. You can not control the direction of the wind, but you can set your own sails.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I hope you're joking, is there something wrong with treating animals humanely?

This is the best night in 8 years!

Neo-cons just got the boot!

you gotta be kidding me man. The animals are meant for slaughter first of all. Secondly, i am in Northern California at the moment and passed along a ton of farms along the 5 on the way up here. Hmm, cows roaming freely among a ton of land. Nothing was in a cramped cage like the propoganda crap you see on TV. That proposition was a total waste of time, and its just a BS PC move.

Chickens are alot more cramped in a box of chicken nuggets after all.

I supported Obama, because I knew he was going to win. Can any of you think of a good reason to support the loser?

Yeah, I can. Millions of voters like you. I voted on principle, not to give myself a handshake as I jump on the band wagon. I voted for the candidate I agreed with the most. The man I wanted to choose as the leader of my country did not win. I honestly didn't think he would. But John McCain was the man I wanted in the White House, and I gave him my vote, regardless. To sacrifice your principles to be part of "the winning team" is equivalent to submitting to your own silencing. You allowed yourself to be silenced. Nearly 52 million of us did not.

Your situation is in your hands regardless of who is President. The only dumb thing you can do is to fail to act, waiting for any President to change your life. If you ended up on the bad side of the Bush administration, shame on you. If you end up on the bad side of the Obama administration, shame on you. If you believed that either of them was really able to deliver the heaven on earth they promised, shame on you. You can not control the direction of the wind, but you can set your own sails.

On this, you and I agree. My well-being is my responsibility. A better system can help a bit, but ultimately I am in charge of only me. I know this and accept it. I am, indeed, grateful for it.

גם זה יעבור

"This, too, shall pass."

For those of us who feel a little burned, like the original poster of this thread, perhaps it is time to check out the following link:

American Road Map

It's a good plan. One that definitely needs to be acted upon. Time to start writing your congressman. Even if you are a Republican in a Democrat-controlled congressional district, they still want your vote.

It was W who F###ked us over, time and time again.

Now Obama has to pick up the pieces and mend his mess. It won't be easy. If you haven't got the stomach for it, by all means......leave. Who in the hell did you think was going to pay for all this (the Wall Street Bail Out and the War)?

Whine all you want. The reality isn't good....we're in a Depression. The economy is tanking.....thanks to the Republican Party and their miopic decisions.

McCain isn't a bad man, but he sold himself out, even when he didn't need to after he got the nomination. 10 years ago I liked him, during this election he towed the Republican line. What happened to the Maverick?

I'm sure you are not alone in that fear. It breaks my heart to think of the millions which will lose the financial security

that they have fought and suffered so long to obtain. To think that many have tried and failed over and over again throughout life and finally succeeded only to have it taken from them... for what? For one man to take what they so rightly deserve and hand it out to the weak excuse-makers of this great nation. Will they give back? No. They will sit on their porches and smoke the cigarettes you bought them as they watch you lose everything.

I will not fund such tyranny. I will not have any hand in bankrupting my hard working brothers. I choose to secede.

Chill out. Democrats won in the Senate, but not the 60 seat super majority they were looking for. That means they, the Democrats, will have to temper their ambitions on both bills and judicial nominations. GOP filibuster is still likely, once the dust settles.

What a mess Obama inherits.

United States popularity with the rest of the world at a all time low - US Economy in 1930's style slump - Record trade deficits - 8 years of trigger happy Bushie has been bad for America

A victory for Barack Obama will show the world that the American Dream of equal opportunity for all - black or white, rich or poor - is no mere Hollywood fantasy but a fact of life in the "Land of the free".

United States now has its first ever black President-elect, as an example to the world of the true meaning of democracy, equality opportunity and hope.

bellt.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

What has changed since two days ago?

You are the same Versa-Tech, xr7g428, Len_A, Sixt9coug, calypsocoral, suv_guy_19, timmm55, 94bronco, sprinter, AAISkinsFan, taxman100, the_spaniard, Blueblood, Roadtrip, Ford-150, ANTAUS, and Ford Jellymoulds that you were two days ago.

Your lives, aspirations, and values have not changed in that time, have they? They won't (likely) change in the next 2/4/6/8 years, either.

Edited by RangerM

United States now has its first ever black President-elect, as an example to the world of the true meaning of democracy, equality opportunity and hope.

Race only matters to those who care about it. America is no more or less equal opportunity today than it was two days ago.

You are the same Versa-Tech, xr7g428, Len_A, Sixt9coug, calypsocoral, suv_guy_19, timmm55, 94bronco, sprinter, AAISkinsFan, taxman100, the_spaniard, Blueblood, Roadtrip, Ford-150, ANTAUS, and Ford Jellymoulds that you were two days ago.

Your lives, aspirations, and values have not changed in that time, have they? They won't (likely) change in the next 2/4/6/8 years, either.

Well said. Very well said. Even though we may not have agreed 100% or even 1% during this election season, on this, you are 100% correct and I am in complete agreement with you. It's been a historic election,on so many levels, but the truth is that they all are, just in different ways. We're all the same person we were on Monday before the election. Nothing's changed.

Indeed history has been made. I am very proud of the black community. I honesty have tears rolling down my cheeks at this very moment as I imagine what is taking place around black households around the nation. I wish the first black president was someone else, but I cannot crush this momentous step in their struggle.

On the Iraq War, we will see the test of Obama's conviction. I am not [at this time] convinced that he will stay true to his word. That said, I have been wrong. It's definitely about time that we step back from policing the rest of the world's problem so that we may heal our own festering wounds. Unfortunately, I will no longer be here to be a part of it. I simply no longer support the policies of The United States of America. Maybe one day that will change.

Tears ?? First he is Bi Racial. This the black community forgets. His Black Father ran out on him and he was raised by white Grandparents and at times by his white mother. Seems this part is always forgotton by the Black Community...Why ?

Yes you are right nothing much has changed we still buy US flags everytime the US President visits Europe, folk seemed to want to burn the stars and stripes every time Bushie visited Europe, when obama came to Europe 500,000 greeted him waving flags in Berlin.

Its kind of funny how the "Old Glory does not catch fire when Obama visits though, they must have made a dodgy batch of flags everytime Bushie was President went on tour, they seemed to catch fire just about everywhere he went....

Obama visits Europe

20080724-233441-pic-293678434.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Yes you are right nothing much has changed we still buy US flags everytime the US President visits Europe, folk seemed to want to burn the stars and stripes every time Bushie visited Europe, when obama came to Europe 500,000 greeted him waving flags in Berlin.

Its kind of funny how the "Old Glory does not catch fire when Obama visits though, they must have made a dodgy batch of flags everytime Bushie was President went on tour, they seemed to catch fire just about everywhere he went....

I think you misinterpet. The point of my post was not one of divisiveness, but unity. Specifically, American unity. My mistake including you in that.

America is still the big, friendly dog who occasionally (and accidentally) knocks your glass off the coffee table with his tail.....and we can still bite. Both Republicans and Democrats will defend America with our lives.

That has not changed.

I think you misinterpet. The point of my post was not one of divisiveness, but unity. Specifically, American unity. My mistake including you in that.

America is still the big, friendly dog who occasionally (and accidentally) knocks your glass off the coffee table with his tail.....and we can still bite. Both Republicans and Democrats will defend America with our lives.

That has not changed.

+1

100% on point. Again.

It was W who F###ked us over, time and time again.

Now Obama has to pick up the pieces and mend his mess. It won't be easy. If you haven't got the stomach for it, by all means......leave. Who in the hell did you think was going to pay for all this (the Wall Street Bail Out and the War)?

Whine all you want. The reality isn't good....we're in a Depression. The economy is tanking.....thanks to the Republican Party and their miopic decisions.

McCain isn't a bad man, but he sold himself out, even when he didn't need to after he got the nomination. 10 years ago I liked him, during this election he towed the Republican line. What happened to the Maverick?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIMMM

:beerchug:

Poor ole Obama gotta sort all the mess out.

I'm disappointed, but not shocked in all honesty. I am more disappointed that Prop 8 looks as if its gonna pass, Prop 2 is gonna pass, and a bunch of other money wasting propositions in CA are probably gonna pass too. THAT irks me more than the Obama Presidency. I felt stronger about more of the propositions than i felt about Obama winning. As i said before, even though i DID vote for him, in the last couple weeks it became clear that the McCain campaign was out of steam. Oh well.

Edit - had to clear up a sentence. had it backwards.

Edited by Sixt9coug

Now for reality time...

Big money is made when the deck gets reshuffled. You all know what is going to happen, and you have time to position yourselves accordingly.

The military is going to get cut dramatically, the money for social programs has to come from some where. The combination of a young untested president in combination with a weakened military will invite a test from the some odd corner of the world. The shock and surprise will turn into a mad rush to rebuild the military. It happened to Kennedy, and it will happen again now. Even Joe Biden is saying this. Give Boeing etc. time to drop... and then get back in at the bottom

Unemployment will sky rocket. The promise of higher capital gains taxes will pull money out of business investment. The response will be government work programs which always mean highway construction because they can borrow against the gas tax revenue (look for higher gas taxes). Invest in companies that build infrastructure. There will be blue collar opportunities for union construction. Trades: rejoice!

Carbon taxes, no nuclear power plants, no drilling, and no new refineries, will mean higher energy costs. Invest in Canadian energy royalty trusts, and energy conservation suppliers. You will be adding insulation to your house, and the government will subsidize it.

Ford and GM will get bailed out based on a UAW approved job preservation program. The stock will go up temporarily, but since the money will go to pay for jobs first, no new efficiencies will develop, the car designs won't be any better, and long term both GM and Ford will falter. Take the ride up, and then get out.

Health care jobs will pay less due to reduced payments from the new government health care system. This will produce a crisis and the fix will be to significantly increase the cost of coverage to above current rates, in the name of reduced waiting times. Good luck on this one, but now is no time to become a doctor or a nurse. Look for WalMart to set up walk in no fee clinics staffed with Philippine doctors and nurses. Say good bye to having a doctor that knows who you are.

The best jobs will be government positions. Start working now to find the best fit for you, and preferably the Federal Government. In particular, look for opportunities in Carbon Tax and Carbon trading regulation. There will be significant opportunities to work as regulators, inspectors and many other clip board jobs.

Internationally, the US will be much more popular, but not respected, as our continued downward spiral "proves" the demise of capitalism. The dollar will drop in value as the decline in business activity caused by aggressive tax policy keeps the US out of world markets. Protectionist tariffs start to pop up in several markets leading to reactionary moves by trading partners. Prices rise as imports are "limited". The Canadian Dollar is your friend. Try to shift any currency holding you have to CDN$.

The smart money will be in the British Virgin Islands, and Hong Kong. Wealthy Americans will only bring dollars into the US as needed for direct expenses. (earnings are not taxed until they are brought into the US) Most international transactions will happen in the Euro. Increasingly large transactions will occur outside the US. Look for Big Growth in Bermuda, the Bahamas, the British Virgin Islands, Macau, Panama, and other islands of capitalism. If you have more than $250K get it out of the US now. Income taxes are going to rise, but they will be the least of your problems if you keep your money outside the US.

Local governments will increase property taxes and fees to the extent that you will be challenged to keep your home in retirement. Start looking now at Mexico, and Panama for enclaves of US ex-pat retirees. They will welcome your social security income with preferential treatment. If you like the way that Toyota gets tax abatement's, well, now it is your turn.

Life in the US will not be horrible, in fact it will probably be a lot like the late 70's during the Carter Administration. How things would have been under McCain is irrelevant. It would be different, but probably not any better. I supported Obama, because I knew he was going to win. Can any of you think of a good reason to support the loser? Your situation is in your hands regardless of who is President. The only dumb thing you can do is to fail to act, waiting for any President to change your life. If you ended up on the bad side of the Bush administration, shame on you. If you end up on the bad side of the Obama administration, shame on you. If you believed that either of them was really able to deliver the heaven on earth they promised, shame on you. You can not control the direction of the wind, but you can set your own sails.

Nice post. You saved me a lot of typing. We must have similar sources of information. Can't say I changed teams to be on the winning side though.

As much as I don't like the outcome, I'll Pray for the USA and Obamah just as I have in the past.

I find it amusing, and a little sad, that some of you guys think either party is going to fix or ruin your lives.

Obama can't do any of the things he promised, unless Congress votes it so. Neither could McCain. And I would not make too many assumptions yet about the direction of things. No matter who would have won. the economy needs to improve and the wars need to wind down, before new programs can get started.

Your future is in your hands, not some politician. Even your religion (if you have one) is still your personal belief...no one will take that comfort from you.

I plan to make my own way, no matter who is President. There are some philosophical positions of Obama that may favor me, and some that may not. What's unusual about that?