McCain Camp Hiding Palin From Sunday News Shows

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington...-palin-w-1.html

Surely if Gov. Palin is ready to be President from day one if necessary she can handle herself with Meet the Press, Face the Nation, This Week or at least, Fox Sunday. Obviously the McCain campaign doesn't have much faith in her ability to answer questions about her tax policy in Alaska, her history on earmarks, foreign affairs or anything else. Not exactly confidence inspiring is it?

McCain Obama and Biden can go on, so why not Sarah Palin who the Republicans are touting as more experienced that any of the three?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 days ago few if any people knew much about Sarah Palin. McCain only met her once before he offered her the VP position. In 59 days she and McCain will be asking Americans to put her one 73 year old 4, time cancer surviving heartbeat away from the most important job in America and in the World at large.

Whether you like Obama or not whether you think he is the best person for the job, he has campaigned for the Presidency for more than 18 months participated in 23 debates and appeared in thousands of interviews. Over 18 million Democrats and Independents and Republicans in some states, voted for him to be the Democratic nominee.

Palin was selected by McCain with very little vetting. She read a speech written, for the most part by W's speech writers, before she was selected as the VP candidate. The people have a right to know whether she is up to the job. I can't imagine just taking McCain's word for it. Joe Biden conversely is well known. Again like him or not he has been in the public eye for more than 20 years and his record and opinions are well known and available for all to see.

Personally I believe that Mccain's spokesman Mr. Davis' quote that the campaign will decide when it is in their best interest to have her interviewed is scandalous. What happened to the Country's best interest? What happened to Country First?

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

It's a 60 day campaign, so you don't want to overexpose her too quickly. Not to mention, the Sunday morning shows are not what I would call remotely impartial in how they report the news.

Any mainstream media outlet is busy trying to slander her in some regard right now, so I'd wait a few weeks. What CBS and Dan Rather tried to do to George Bush is minor league compared to what the Five Obama Broadcasting Networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSN) are trying to do to her. It's not like she would get any questions even relevent to the election.

11 days ago few if any people knew much about Sarah Palin.

Whether you like Obama or not whether you think he is the best person for the job, he has campaigned for the Presidency for more than 18 months participated in 23 debates and appeared in thousands of interviews. Over 18 million Democrats and Independents and Republicans in some states, voted for him to be the Democratic nominee.

Joe Biden conversely is well known. Again like him or not he has been in the public eye for more than 20 years and his record and opinions are well known and available for all to see.

Correction, very few "liberals" knew anything about Sarah Palin.

Ah yes, I heard Obaaama himself making this claim ... that running for president qualifies you to be one...

Biden is well known but he has been wrong on just about every foreign policy decision I can think of.

11 days ago few if any people knew much about Sarah Palin. McCain only met her once before he offered her the VP position. In 59 days she and McCain will be asking Americans to put her one 73 year old 4, time cancer surviving heartbeat away from the most important job in America and in the World at large.

I know she holds the highest publicly-elected office of any candidate on any ticket, and is the only one who ever held an executive position in a private company or public office.

Running for office doesn't qualify you for office.

18 million voters of the same democratic constituency voted for the other person. Which 18 million was wrong?

Palin was selected by McCain with very little vetting. She read a speech written, for the most part by W's speech writers, before she was selected as the VP candidate. The people have a right to know whether she is up to the job. I can't imagine just taking McCain's word for it. Joe Biden conversely is well known. Again like him or not he has been in the public eye for more than 20 years and his record and opinions are well known and available for all to see.

Just as the people have a right to know why Obama is up to the job. I love how you guys are so concerned with McCain dying. I'd rather have Palin's "little experience" in the 2nd position until Day 1000, than Obama's "NO experience" on Day 1.

Personally I believe that Mccain's spokesman Mr. Davis' quote that the campaign will decide when it is in their best interest to have her interviewed is scandalous. What happened to the Country's best interest? What happened to Country First?

You think Obama being interviewed by O'Reilly (last week for the first time ever) was in any way not a calculated move? Why would he not want to appear on the highest rated primetime cable show?

Remember, McCain is the TOP of the ticket, not Palin. Obama should not try to run against Palin if his opponent is McCain.

Zogby (current poll): McCain/Palin OVER Obama/Biden by 4%

Edited by RangerM

Correction, very few "liberals" knew anything about Sarah Palin.

Ah yes, I heard Obaaama himself making this claim ... that running for president qualifies you to be one...

Biden is well known but he has been wrong on just about every foreign policy decision I can think of.

The Republicans didn't know her either. On the day she was announced the other VP front runners were interviewed and not one of them could come up with a comment about her.

Biden is the only one who has made any sense on Iraq. Iraq was a made up country in the first place. Three groups who have hated each other for centuries. Like Yugoslavia, it only worked as long as there was a strongman to hold it all together. Dividing Iraq into 3 semi autonomous regions and sharing the oil wealth is the only way to keep it from devolving into civil war.

Biden is the only one who has made any sense on Iraq.

Really?

Biden voted AGAINST the first Gulf War (1991)...and FOR the second (2002), and AGAINST the surge, that Obama acknowledges "succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.”

I don't see how that makes sense.

I admit your statement wasn't directly addressing those items, but it he is/was so wrong on those items, how are we to assume he is right about what you say?

Edited by RangerM

I know she holds the highest publicly-elected office of any candidate on any ticket, and is the only one who ever held an executive position in a private company or public office.

Elected to the Governor's office of a state that has less people than:

New York City, New York

Los Angeles, California

Chicago, Illinois

Houston, Texas

Phoenix, Arizona

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

San Antonio, Texas

San Diego, California

Dallas, Texas

San Jose, California

Detroit, Michigan

Jacksonville, Florida

Indianapolis, Indiana

San Francisco, California

Columbus, Ohio

Austin, Texas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unite...s_by_population

She hasn't even completed two years at the job. In addition. Alaska , 48th state by population is awash in oil money and is the largest recipient of earmarks. Alaska doesn't have the challenges of the larger states. By definition, Tom Ridge has more experience as two term Governor of Pennsylvania during very difficult times. Ed Rendell has even more experience as a two term Governor of PA and two term Mayor of Philadelphia.

Her "Executive experience" as mayor of Wasilla, AK with less than 7,500 people isn't impressive.

Running for office doesn't qualify you for office.

18 million voters of the same democratic constituency voted for the other person. Which 18 million was wrong?

Neither has to be wrong. Either Obama or Hillary would be better than McCain/Palin. Do you really want to argue that anyone would have taken Palin seriously if she had run for President? She was selected by mCCain after meeting her once. She wasn't even his first choice.

Just as the people have a right to know why Obama is up to the job. I love how you guys are so concerned with McCain dying. I'd rather have Palin's "little experience" in the 2nd position until Day 1000, than Obama's "NO experience" on Day 1.

McCain's statement that the choice of VP should be based on having someone who is ready and able to take over from day one. She isn't.

You think Obama being interviewed by O'Reilly (last week for the first time ever) was in any way not a calculated move? Why would he not want to appear on the highest rated primetime cable show?

Of course it was a calculated move. Do you think Fox has been "Fair and Balanced" when it comes to Obama. After "terrorist fist bump", Muslim rumors and Michelle as his "Baby Mama".

Remember, McCain is the TOP of the ticket, not Palin. Obama should not try to run against Palin if his opponent is McCain.

He isn't running against Palin as evidenced by his campaign which has been focused on McCain's repeat of Bush's policies on the economy and Iraq and his voting with Bush 95% of the time while he admits that people are worse off than they were in '04.

Zogby (current poll): McCain/Palin OVER Obama/Biden by 4%

It's a 60 day campaign, so you don't want to overexpose her too quickly. Not to mention, the Sunday morning shows are not what I would call remotely impartial in how they report the news.

Expose her too quickly? If what you mean is expose her inability to answer tough questions about relevant issues of the economy and foreign affairs, I would agree. It is definetely in McCain's best interest to keep her in hiding.

Any mainstream media outlet is busy trying to slander her in some regard right now, so I'd wait a few weeks. What CBS and Dan Rather tried to do to George Bush is minor league compared to what the Five Obama Broadcasting Networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSN) are trying to do to her. It's not like she would get any questions even relevent to the election.

I wouldn't expect her to go on MSNBC. But come on Bob Schiffer on Face the Nation has been nothing but fair with McCain. Stephanopolus has been very hard on Obama, Brokaw may not be Russert but he has been very even handed with both Dems and reps. I noticed you left out Fox Sunday? Do you think Chris Wallace wouldn't be fair to Palin?

Elected to the Governor's office of a state that has less people than:

New York City, New York

Los Angeles, California

Chicago, Illinois

Houston, Texas

Phoenix, Arizona

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

San Antonio, Texas

San Diego, California

Dallas, Texas

San Jose, California

Detroit, Michigan

Jacksonville, Florida

Indianapolis, Indiana

San Francisco, California

Columbus, Ohio

Austin, Texas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unite...s_by_population

She hasn't even completed two years at the job. In addition. Alaska , 48th state by population is awash in oil money and is the largest recipient of earmarks. Alaska doesn't have the challenges of the larger states. By definition, Tom Ridge has more experience as two term Governor of Pennsylvania during very difficult times. Ed Rendell has even more experience as a two term Governor of PA and two term Mayor of Philadelphia.

Her "Executive experience" as mayor of Wasilla, AK with less than 7,500 people isn't impressive.

Which is STILL MORE THAN OBAMA. You haven't addressed that, yet.

Neither has to be wrong. Either Obama or Hillary would be better than McCain/Palin. Do you really want to argue that anyone would have taken Palin seriously if she had run for President? She was selected by mCCain after meeting her once. She wasn't even his first choice.

By using the fact that 18 Million people voted for Obama, you are effectively saying, "18 Million people can't be wrong", OR "18 million people must know something".

I have pointed out that 18 million people DIDN"T vote for Obama. If they weren't wrong, then what is it that they didn't know?

McCain's statement that the choice of VP should be based on having someone who is ready and able to take over from day one. She isn't.

Obama isn't ready on Day 1, and he's the TOP of the ticket.

Of course it was a calculated move. Do you think Fox has been "Fair and Balanced" when it comes to Obama. After "terrorist fist bump", Muslim rumors and Michelle as his "Baby Mama".

Hillary went on, during the primary. During the primary all Dem candidates refused to attend a Fox News debate. You can call "bias" all you want, but the fact remains that they would NOT face questions from Chris Wallace (a registered Democrat by his own admission, BTW).

He isn't running against Palin as evidenced by his campaign which has been focused on McCain's repeat of Bush's policies on the economy and Iraq and his voting with Bush 95% of the time while he admits that people are worse off than they were in '04.

Really?

Obama opens fire on Palin

BTW, I am better off than I was in '04, and I am not rich (yet).

I have to give you guys credit for having the balls to make the experience argument but you lose points for being stupid when your candidate has none. Do you listen to yourselves? She currently has more experience than Obama himself, why do you think he picked Biden?

Ranger made an excellent point about Obama going on the O'Reilly, that was plan to coincide with the RNC finali. The democrats are scared of Mrs. Palin that's for sure, hence the attacks!

Ranger made an excellent point about Obama going on the O'Reilly, that was plan to coincide with the RNC finali. The democrats are scared of Mrs. Palin that's for sure, hence the attacks!

And then... Obama still wouldn't admit he was wrong about the troop surge....even though "it worked better than anyone thought it would".... well, John McCain was the one that said we needed to put more troops in.... Obama said it won't work.

Edited by mulewright

The Republicans didn't know her either. On the day she was announced the other VP front runners were interviewed and not one of them could come up with a comment about her.

Biden is the only one who has made any sense on Iraq. Iraq was a made up country in the first place. Three groups who have hated each other for centuries. Like Yugoslavia, it only worked as long as there was a strongman to hold it all together. Dividing Iraq into 3 semi autonomous regions and sharing the oil wealth is the only way to keep it from devolving into civil war.

I said two months ago that she would be the best pick....

By your reasoning the US should be at least 2 countries, maybe 3

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/09/sarah-palin-w-1.html"]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington...-palin-w-1.html

The url says it all Mark, get serious. Some loser liberal sitting around in his underwear in his momma's basement posts a hack piece on the ultra liberal L(oser) A(ss) times blog spot and it's supposed to pass as credible journalism? Not! Who is Don Frederick anyway, and why does he need to get his picutres of Sarah Palin from some pic & post images gallery? He's nobody. A liberal guy with a chip on his shoulder about the fact that the republicans are running a female for VP. A female who, by the way, scares the shit out of Obama and the democrat party as a whole, and they should be scared. She's everything they are not but would like us to think they are. She's a real person, not a suit full of speeches and empty promises.

I said two months ago that she would be the best pick....

By your reasoning the US should be at least 2 countries, maybe 3

The fact that her name was floated by some bloggers doesn't mean she was vetted. It doesn't change the fact that she was McCain's second choice or that he met her once before offering her the job.

The states of the United States were not joined by a foreign power as Iraq was by Great Britian after WWI. The Iraqis had no say in tha matter. The US was not imposed on ethnic and religious factions that have been at war with each other for hundreds of years.

I have to give you guys credit for having the balls to make the experience argument but you lose points for being stupid when your candidate has none. Do you listen to yourselves? She currently has more experience than Obama himself, why do you think he picked Biden?

Honestly Floyd, I don't think "executive experience" is necessary. Kennedy had none, LBJ had none, Nixon had none (even Eisenhower quipped that he couldn't think of anything Nixon did as VP), Ford had none, George H.W. Bush had none. W's experience as Gov of Texas was minimal since Texas is a weak executive form of government.

BTW what executive experience does McCain have? The fact remains that Palin's executive experience as mayor of a tiny town isn't relevant to the Presidency and she hasn't served even two years as Alaska Governor.

The fact that her foreign policy experience touted by the McCain camp is that Alaska is close to Russia. That is just plain stupid since the Alaska Governor has no role in making U.S. foreign policy.

Her command of the Alaska National Guard didn't include her giving any orders. She has no role in the Guard when they serve overseas, that responsibility falls solely to the DOD.

If you want to play the experience card, the most experienced person running in the primaries of either party was Bill Richardson. Gov of New Mexico, U.S. Congressman, Former U.S Secretary of Energy, Former UN Ambassador.

The url says it all Mark, get serious. Some loser liberal sitting around in his underwear in his momma's basement posts a hack piece on the ultra liberal L(oser) A(ss) times blog spot and it's supposed to pass as credible journalism? Not! Who is Don Frederick anyway, and why does he need to get his picutres of Sarah Palin from some pic & post images gallery? He's nobody. A liberal guy with a chip on his shoulder about the fact that the republicans are running a female for VP. A female who, by the way, scares the shit out of Obama and the democrat party as a whole, and they should be scared. She's everything they are not but would like us to think they are. She's a real person, not a suit full of speeches and empty promises.

Don Frederick is the Washington Political Editor for the Los Angeles Times. Hardly some guy blogging in his underwear in his mom's basement. Although I understand the reference since there are plenty of right wing bloggers who fit that description.

Honestly Floyd, I don't think "executive experience" is necessary. Kennedy had none, LBJ had none, Nixon had none (even Eisenhower quipped that he couldn't think of anything Nixon did as VP), Ford had none, George H.W. Bush had none. W's experience as Gov of Texas was minimal since Texas is a weak executive form of government.

BTW what executive experience does McCain have? The fact remains that Palin's executive experience as mayor of a tiny town isn't relevant to the Presidency and she hasn't served even two years as Alaska Governor.

The fact that her foreign policy experience touted by the McCain camp is that Alaska is close to Russia. That is just plain stupid since the Alaska Governor has no role in making U.S. foreign policy.

Her command of the Alaska National Guard didn't include her giving any orders. She has no role in the Guard when they serve overseas, that responsibility falls solely to the DOD.

If you want to play the experience card, the most experienced person running in the primaries of either party was Bill Richardson. Gov of New Mexico, U.S. Congressman, Former U.S Secretary of Energy, Former UN Ambassador.

You talked about everyone except Obama and his lack of experience. The community organizer. Give me a break!

Which is STILL MORE THAN OBAMA. You haven't addressed that, yet.

In my opinion executive experience isn't a requirement. McCain doesn't have any so I assume you don't think it is a prerequsite either. If I am wrong then by your argument she should be at the top of the Republican ticket since McCain doesn't have any executive experience.

I don't think Palin's spotty executive experience qualifies her for the VP or Presidency. BTW what exactly do you think McCain will need to consult with Palin about in the Whitehouse? Is he going to rely on her for advice on dealing with Russia? The Economy? Tax policy? You do know that she raised taxes in Wasilla. What does she bring to the table in terms of governing? Not just rallying the base.

By using the fact that 18 Million people voted for Obama, you are effectively saying, "18 Million people can't be wrong", OR "18 million people must know something".

I have pointed out that 18 million people DIDN"T vote for Obama. If they weren't wrong, then what is it that they didn't know?

They preferred Hillary or some other candidate over Obama. McCain lost several primaries to Huckabee. That doesn't make McCain voters wrong. They just preferred someone else. Why is that so hard to understand?

Obama isn't ready on Day 1, and he's the TOP of the ticket.

You and i will have to disagree about that. You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

Hillary went on, during the primary. During the primary all Dem candidates refused to attend a Fox News debate. You can call "bias" all you want, but the fact remains that they would NOT face questions from Chris Wallace (a registered Democrat by his own admission, BTW).

On October 11, 2006 The Washington Post revealed that Wallace had been a registered Democrat for more than two decades. Wallace explained his party affiliation in terms of pragmatism, insisting that being a Democrat is the only feasible means of participating in the political process in heavily Democratic Washington, D.C.

Really?

Obama opens fire on Palin

Given the number of outright misstatements included in Palin's speech at the convention and on her stump speech since then, I am happy that he is answering her untrue charges that he hasn't passed one piece of legislation in the senate. See Colburn-Obama ethics reform and Lugar-Obama nuclear weapons legislation as examples. There are others.

BTW, I am better off than I was in '04, and I am not rich (yet).

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

She did in fact deploy the National Guard to help out with forest fires...

The fact is the only thing Obama has ever run is his mouth...

And then... Obama still wouldn't admit he was wrong about the troop surge....even though "it worked better than anyone thought it would".... well, John McCain was the one that said we needed to put more troops in.... Obama said it won't work.
I watched Bob Woodward's interview last night on 60 Minutes. A couple of interesting points came up - apparently, regarding the surge, then Iraq U.S. Commander Gen. Casey wasn't on board with it, nor was most of the Pentagon. So apparently, Obama was in good company in not being on board with the surge strategy. Secondly, Rumsfield's firing was over Cheney's objections. Third, apparently the Army has a very effective, and very secret intel program going on that's targeting the enemy leadership in Iraq, so effective that Woodward won't reveal anything else about it other than it exists.

I watched Bob Woodward's interview last night on 60 Minutes. A couple of interesting points came up - apparently, regarding the surge, then Iraq U.S. Commander Gen. Casey wasn't on board with it, nor was most of the Pentagon. So apparently, Obama was in good company in not being on board with the surge strategy. Secondly, Rumsfield's firing was over Cheney's objections. Third, apparently the Army has a very effective, and very secret intel program going on that's targeting the enemy leadership in Iraq, so effective that Woodward won't reveal anything else about it other than it exists.

Not sure how you can come to the conclusion that he was in good company; first I'm sure that Obama neither ask any of these people their opinion on the surge or would have taken it if offered and secondly none of these people listed are currently running for POTUS except Obama, therein lies the problem. Like off-shore drilling Obama underestimated the will of the American people and now he's trying to make course corrections and most people aren't buying it!