Ford's Accelerated Product Plan

Ford announced the return of the 5-Door Focus in 2010 today....

I think people are reading things a bit too literally in the memo. I really don't see any way that if the 5-door Fiesta and Focus are sold here than the 3-door variants WON'T be. I mean really, they are the exact same vehicles minus a different side stamping and doors. Not exactly an expensive thing to offer.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All new 4 banger? Hmm, well, they just introduced the 2.5L for the Escape (and soon for the Fusion as well). If they aren't referring to that engine, then ,they could be referring to a needed US emissions specced 1.4-1.8L I4 for the Fiesta and/or base Focus. Other than that, the only other possibility I can think of is maybe a 1.6-2.0L engine instead to replace the existing Focus base engine and still work in the Fiesta. I thought there were plenty of suitable engine in Europe already, though, so I don't understand the need for new development here.

I think it is interesting that the Party hits in 2010 and Mercury gets a "small car" in 2010. I would bet anything that Mercury will get a version of the Party or Focus (and my guess is thatr it will be very similar to the Cobalt/G5 setup we see at GM).

I still think that the biggest mistake they are making is not working night and day to get the Party here ASAP. That should be the most critical program to get moved up...and yet, it still is coming in 2010.

BNN reported that 3 of the 6 new vehicles are:

Fiesta

Focus

S-Max

Can anyone confirm the S-Max. BNN is a business network that knows nothing about the Auto industry. But they must have read it somewhere.

I expect they confused the S & C Max. The S-Max offers no real economy gains over the Edge. In fact it's rather underpowered for the segment.

I still think that the biggest mistake they are making is not working night and day to get the Party here ASAP.

How do you know they're not? How would you know what it takes to get it here? They've already said it's the #1 priority so they're obviously getting it here as fast as they can.

I expect they confused the S & C Max. The S-Max offers no real economy gains over the Edge. In fact it's rather underpowered for the segment.

I don't see any real value in bringing over the S-Max as is. I can't see it until EUCD2 version is developed. I am betting that we will be getting the C2 C-max, not S-max.

I wonder if the S-Max could be imported for Mercury? Sounds like a bad idea.

Edited by battyr

Production of the Expedition and Navigator at Michigan Truck Plant (MTP) has been suspended until late August 2008. The new plan states that MTP will begin retooling in December 2008 for the Focus. Production of Expeditions/Navigators will move to the Kentucky Truck Plant (KTP) in early 2009.

Has Ford decided to extend the shutdown at MTP and end production of Expys and Navs for the remainder of the year?

Skip reading the long-winded press release.

The Plan:

A few trucks, and everything else rebadged overseas products built by guys making $14 an hour.

If you are a automobile platform engineer in North America, your services are no longer required.

So Mustang design will be wholely Roush?

Lincoln and Exploder will be completely handled by Volvo??

Just a lonely F-Series platform group huddled around Fairlane Town Center... Bldg's 1-5 can be rented out to whomever... Maybe Roush and Saleen??

I still think that the biggest mistake they are making is not working night and day to get the Party here ASAP. That should be the most critical program to get moved up...and yet, it still is coming in 2010.

In all seriousness, is the Fiesta going to make that big of a deal with the bottom line with Ford? I dont think so, Most B-cars don't even sell in the same numbers as a Mustang does! Then add in the lack of profitibitly they have..the only thing that the car will do is improve Ford's image (if they dont fuck it up) and help a little bit with marketshare. While it is important to a point, I dont think it will fix Fords problems it has now if we could buy one now.

The heart of the market now is going to a Focus sized car IMO in North America...a B car is far too small for most Americans outside of a commuter car

Edited by silvrsvt

Ford is barely making only $100 per FuckUs in the US, according to some recent article.

Surely the mexican built Fiesta (and its probable Mercury rebadge) will be significantly more profitable than that, unless you're like RJ and expect your 11k Fiesta, and your 14k new Focus in 2010. ;)

Anyway, the secret car is probably the B-Max, which going by stuff I've read, sounds like a bigger Fit, with S-Max styling and sliding doors.

Anything Focus-based is not a "Small car", and plenty of C-Max competitors are already sold in the US to make it "unique".

Edited by pcsario

In all seriousness, is the Fiesta going to make that big of a deal with the bottom line with Ford? ..the only thing that the car will do is improve Ford's image (if they dont fuck it up) and help a little bit with marketshare.

I think this (Fords image) is the most important issue needed to be fixed for Ford America.

As long as the C and above segments are as inviting/exciting to the consumer whom purchases the Fiesta and wants to move up to the next segment.

If I remember correctly the Focus had one of the youngest demographics, but when these consumers moved up to the next segment Ford did not have a car that kept these buyers in the Ford family of cars.

I think this (Fords image) is the most important issue needed to be fixed for Ford America.

As long as the C and above segments are as inviting/exciting to the consumer whom purchases the Fiesta and wants to move up to the next segment.

If I remember correctly the Focus had one of the youngest demographics, but when these consumers moved up to the next segment Ford did not have a car that kept these buyers in the Ford family of cars.

exactly we need to get some "cool" looking cars to get younger generations into the showroom so they can see the other cars that have changed.

right now young generations view Ford as POS because they are the most media central generation and we all know what most of the media thinks of Ford, let alone the Big 2.5

if Ford brings in small high tech nice looking cars they will get the younger generation's attention because, being one of them, we love little gadgets and such, even useless ones

that raises the question: will sync be available on these new Euro cars?

that raises the question: will sync be available on these new Euro cars?

I don't see why not. The head units will more than likely have to be changed anyway. Keep in mind, it's not like Ford is shipping Euro Fords here next week exactly as they are sold in Europe. There will be some changes, albeit not too major, to "Americanize" them.