Newbie: Taurus X - Keyless Entry Code & Key Question

pudealee

I just bought a pre-owned 2008 Taurus X and I have two questions.

The card containing the keyless entry code was misplaced. Is there any way of obtaining this without going back to the dealer?

I got two big honking key fobs, with buttons and such. Can I get "regular" keys made that will not only open the vehicle and start it as well?

Thanks,

PL

I just bought a pre-owned 2008 Taurus X and I have two questions.

The card containing the keyless entry code was misplaced. Is there any way of obtaining this without going back to the dealer?

I got two big honking key fobs, with buttons and such. Can I get "regular" keys made that will not only open the vehicle and start it as well?

Thanks,

PL

Hi pudealee. :D You can have the Dealer retrieve your Keyless Entry code. If you purchased the Taurus X from a Ford Dealer, I would ask them to retrieve it, and they should do it without charge. If you purchased privately, or not from a Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Dealer, a Ford Dealer will probably charge you to retrieve the code.

Also, some owners have stated they have found the code on a sticker on or near the PCM (usually down in the passenger footwell, by the glove compartment/kick panel). Also, others have said they have found the code on a sticker in the passenger compartment fuse box (usually below and to the left of the steering column. I have never needed to check my vehicle for the code, so I can not vouch for the accuracy of that information. But it is worth it for you to take a look.

Yes, you can have a key cut. But you need to be sure that the key has the chip embedded to deactivate the engine immobilizer. It will need to be programmed along with your other keys/keyfobs. Again, you can get it from your Dealer or take your chances with Ebay/the Internet.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 8 years later...

Actually, there is another option. The card was missing when I bought my Taurus, and the dealer said that it would cost $48 to read the computer and get the code. If you look under the dash, near the emergency brake on the left side, there are some modules, and there may be a white tag with the 5 digit code printed on it there. Saved me 50 dollars.