Do you have Stock 20's, I've got a ?

ELlover

I have 20,000 miles now on my Expy with the 20 inch rims. My tires are at 4/32 already (I have the Pirelli's) That seems VERY fast to me. I do live in the canyons but I never take canyon roads, so no turns or anything like that. I drive both streets and freeways. I'm not happy since my lease is up in Oct and now I need to put stupid tires on this thing. I've never gone through tires this fast other than the F150's Continental Contitracs which were horrible...

I have 20,000 miles now on my Expy with the 20 inch rims. My tires are at 4/32 already (I have the Pirelli's) That seems VERY fast to me. I do live in the canyons but I never take canyon roads, so no turns or anything like that. I drive both streets and freeways. I'm not happy since my lease is up in Oct and now I need to put stupid tires on this thing. I've never gone through tires this fast other than the F150's Continental Contitracs which were horrible...

Hi ELlover. :D A few questions:

1 - Are your tires treads worn more on the inside? The outside? The middle of the tread? Evenly across the entire tread face?

2 - Are the fronts worn more than the rears?

3 - How often have you rotated your tires throughout the 20,000 miles?

4 - Do you own and use a tire pressure gauge?

5 - What is the recommended PSI for your Expedition (located on the drivers side door jamb)?

6 - What PSI do you keep your tires inflated to?

7 - How often do you check your tire pressure?

It would help if we knew the answers to those questions.

Post back and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi ELlover. :D A few questions:

1 - Are your tires treads worn more on the inside? The outside? The middle of the tread? Evenly across the entire tread face?

2 - Are the fronts worn more than the rears?

3 - How often have you rotated your tires throughout the 20,000 miles?

4 - Do you own and use a tire pressure gauge?

5 - What is the recommended PSI for your Expedition (located on the drivers side door jamb)?

6 - What PSI do you keep your tires inflated to?

7 - How often do you check your tire pressure?

It would help if we knew the answers to those questions.

Post back and good luck. :beerchug:

They are worn very even, I always check that. We have now rotated them 4 times, every 5,000 miles. My husband always checks the tire pressure and keeps them at the recommended PSI. The fronts are measuring exactly the same as the rears.

When I go out later I will measure them more exact myself to see.

We have about 14,000 miles on ours and they seem to be wearing pretty well (although I've never measured them). I also rotate everytime I change the oil (which is every 5000 miles).

We have about 14,000 miles on ours and they seem to be wearing pretty well (although I've never measured them). I also rotate everytime I change the oil (which is every 5000 miles).

We rotate with every service as well. My husband does all of our service but this time one of his techs did the service and measured the tires. I always check them by feel and thought there were wearing great till i got the service note. I will measure them today with my tool...

We rotate with every service as well. My husband does all of our service but this time one of his techs did the service and measured the tires. I always check them by feel and thought there were wearing great till i got the service note. I will measure them today with my tool...

I thought you were going to lemon law that thing, anyway... did you change your mind?

If the tires are worn to a point where they are unsafe, you should consider replacing them now. There should still be a warranty on them of some kind after barely more than 18 months and 20,000 miles. That's ridiculous to wear out so fast.

If the tires are not unsafe to drive on, I would say not to replace the tires before turning in your vehicle at lease end. If you are within your lease mileage limits, I can't see FMC charging you to replace 2-year old tires. Especially if you are going to be getting that new Navigator you were thinking about.

If after you turn in the vehicle, and they come back with a wear charge for the tires, you may try to dispute it with your rotation records. If the tires are at 4/32" of tread or better, I don't think that is considered excess were according to the lease. If they are 3/32" or less, that is what they consider worn.

Edited by Rob052067

I thought you were going to lemon law that thing, anyway... did you change your mind?

If the tires are worn to a point where they are unsafe, you should consider replacing them now. There should still be a warranty on them of some kind after barely more than 18 months and 20,000 miles. That's ridiculous to wear out so fast.

If the tires are not unsafe to drive on, I would say not to replace the tires before turning in your vehicle at lease end. If you are within your lease mileage limits, I can't see FMC charging you to replace 2-year old tires. Especially if you are going to be getting that new Navigator you were thinking about.

If after you turn in the vehicle, and they come back with a wear charge for the tires, you may try to dispute it with your rotation records. If the tires are at 4/32" of tread or better, I don't think that is considered excess were according to the lease. If they are 3/32" or less, that is what they consider worn.

I gave up because now when i take it in I get a big fat NPF no matter what. I am just waiting till I get the new truck!

I thought about trying for excessive wear, might give them a call. They arent unsafe yet but I will have to buy new/used ones before the lease is up because it will go below 4/32"

I'm just not used to tires wearing that fast, but usually I have big 4x4 tires and those have better tread.

I do have wear care on the Expy but doesnt cover tires.

Some tires are softer than others. I fear the tires you have are soft. Better handling, ride, shorter life. Are the roads you drive on very coarse? Either way, I wouldn't replace them if you are turning it in.

I think you are right, they probably are softer. Grrrrrrr The roads are ok in my city but surrounding is not as good. Southern California has crappy roads.

I just checked the Pirelli website and these tires have a wear warranty of 50,000 miles so I should get a 60% refund. If I would have done my service right before 20,000 it would have been 70% :finger:

My husband knows a Tire Shop that is a Pirelli deal so I will take it there. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. I should only have to pay $50 or so a tire since we get deals anyway...

I feel better now finding this.

I just checked the Pirelli website and these tires have a wear warranty of 50,000 miles so I should get a 60% refund. If I would have done my service right before 20,000 it would have been 70% :finger:

My husband knows a Tire Shop that is a Pirelli deal so I will take it there. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. I should only have to pay $50 or so a tire since we get deals anyway...

I feel better now finding this.

Does your lease specify what level of wear the tires need to be at when turning it in?

i bought back 2 navigators with tires right on the thread wear indicator.....nothing ever said... conti trac........nice riding tires, but they do where out fast...

i have a set of 2007 navi rims with pirelli scorpions on my 2006 navi now, nice riding tires s once they have rounded out ....seems even after sitting for just a few days, u get a thumping for a few miles.....dealer says normal for scorpions......