2009 Escape Order Guide

ice-capades

I'm still debating between Hybrid and the 2.5l 4-cyl. Need to run the math on tax benefits vs. Hybrid price premium.

Can any existing Hybrid owners offer some advice here? are you happy with hybrid performance and MPG?

I think you will find very positive reviews of the Escape hybrid among owners. For many owners, the hybrids have proved to be far more useful than anticipated. In my experience, they're great for cross-country trips and even better around town when their mileage increases.

The '09s should have even better MPG than '08s, and the gap between them and the non-hybrids may increase as well.

Hybrids offer other benefits besides MPG that often aren't mentioned. 10K mi oil change/service intervals and reduced brake wear are two of them.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will find very positive reviews of the Escape hybrid among owners. For many owners, the hybrids have proved to be far more useful than anticipated. In my experience, they're great for cross-country trips and even better around town when their mileage increases.

The '09s should have even better MPG than '08s, and the gap between them and the non-hybrids may increase as well.

Hybrids offer other benefits besides MPG that often aren't mentioned. 10K mi oil change/service intervals and reduced brake wear are two of them.

Thanks for the feedback, Walt and Donaldo.

Attached is a spread-sheet I put together to compare the fuel economy (sorry its a .pdf because this message board does not support .xls uploads; if you want the .xls let me know). Check out the cost deltas between gas and hybrid models.

I've decided to go with the Hybrid. :-) Now I'm debating between 4x4 and 4X2. Better gas mileage with the 4X2 is an obvious benefit, but I'd like the security of having a 4x4.

Any thoughts on 4x2 performance in the snow, resale implications of 4x2 vs. 4x4, or any sluggishness brought by the 4x4???

Escape_FuelEconomy.pdf

I've decided to go with the Hybrid. :-) Now I'm debating between 4x4 and 4X2. Better gas mileage with the 4X2 is an obvious benefit, but I'd like the security of having a 4x4.

Any thoughts on 4x2 performance in the snow, resale implications of 4x2 vs. 4x4, or any sluggishness brought by the 4x4???

I live in a moderate climate, but bought the 4wd mainly because I liked its handling and it's fun in the dirt. I would suggest you test drive both thoroughly to see if you could take advantage of the 4wd and if its poorer acceleration and mpg are worth it to you. Many 2wd drivers have been successful in snow or other challenging conditions, especially with more aggressive tires.

Thanks for the feedback, Walt and Donaldo.

Attached is a spread-sheet I put together to compare the fuel economy (sorry its a .pdf because this message board does not support .xls uploads; if you want the .xls let me know). Check out the cost deltas between gas and hybrid models.

I'm NOT going to explain this more than what I say here, BUT I've got an '05 hybrid 4x4 (AWD). You should talk to someone that owns one. If your just going by what you read, welll.... let me say this, I talked my sister out of getting one, because the mileage isn't what you will get vs. the paperwork. And she said she couldn't justify the extra $7G's for it, and I have to agree with her.

But what the fuck do I know, someone on this site claims he gets,, get the decimal point in this... 61.8 ? MPG on one, and I've not seen him post any backups to how he did it, nor do I care to read it. I want real world driving experience's not a tree-huggers approach to stripping everything out of it and waiting for hurricane winds to push it down the road.

Overall usage returns "between 26.5 and 28" to me, and that's trying to drive it to maximise MPG.

Also expect a 5-6 month wait. AND dealers do NOT have to accept any pin's on it, everyone wants one and I think they deserve to get what they can for them.

My personal opinion and I stick to it. You want one, get it, you can ask question til the cows come home. :beatdeadhorse:

I'm NOT going to explain this more than what I say here, BUT I've got an '05 hybrid 4x4 (AWD). You should talk to someone that owns one. If your just going by what you read, welll.... let me say this, I talked my sister out of getting one, because the mileage isn't what you will get vs. the paperwork. And she said she couldn't justify the extra $7G's for it, and I have to agree with her.

But what the fuck do I know, someone on this site claims he gets,, get the decimal point in this... 61.8 ? MPG on one, and I've not seen him post any backups to how he did it, nor do I care to read it. I want real world driving experience's not a tree-huggers approach to stripping everything out of it and waiting for hurricane winds to push it down the road.

Overall usage returns "between 26.5 and 28" to me, and that's trying to drive it to maximise MPG.

Also expect a 5-6 month wait. AND dealers do NOT have to accept any pin's on it, everyone wants one and I think they deserve to get what they can for them.

My personal opinion and I stick to it. You want one, get it, you can ask question til the cows come home. :beatdeadhorse:

Critic, it is true not everyone can gets the mileage I do. In fact, I didn't quote my best 20mile round trip of 70.3mpg on my roads here in Jupiter Florida. The 61.8 MPG was my claim based on Scangauge readings, and not by the official 60mpg max gauge reading of the Nav system taken by the MPG Challenge staff at Hybridfest '07.

You see Critic, I wasn't about to drive My '05 FWD FEH to Madison WI (1,500 miles one-way) to Hybridfest to prove what I get on a regular basis here in Jupiter FL. Only after the top lifetime average (~40mpg) '05 FWD FEH owner offered to let me drive her vehicle if she could ride shotgun to see my techniques I have written articles about.

Critic, you have tried to shame me! The vehicle I drove was stock, with extra weight, and an extra passenger. The terrain was hilly and I've never drove the roads anywhere with those conditions. The link to the MPG Challenge is:

http://www.prleap.com/pr/86684/

There are people that can get 100 MPG in a Prius and 150 in an Insight. They get together to have "races" to determine who can get the highest MPG. I saw it on TV once.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Critic, it is true not everyone can gets the mileage I do. In fact, I didn't quote my best 20mile round trip of 70.3mpg on my roads here in Jupiter Florida. The 61.8 MPG was my claim based on Scangauge readings, and not by the official 60mpg max gauge reading of the Nav system taken by the MPG Challenge staff at Hybridfest '07.

You see Critic, I wasn't about to drive My '05 FWD FEH to Madison WI (1,500 miles one-way) to Hybridfest to prove what I get on a regular basis here in Jupiter FL. Only after the top lifetime average (~40mpg) '05 FWD FEH owner offered to let me drive her vehicle if she could ride shotgun to see my techniques I have written articles about.

Critic, you have tried to shame me! The vehicle I drove was stock, with extra weight, and an extra passenger. The terrain was hilly and I've never drove the roads anywhere with those conditions. The link to the MPG Challenge is:

http://www.prleap.com/pr/86684/

I hate saying never, because it comes back to bite you.

A more skilled poster on this site by the name of bbf2530 summed it up once with saying, frankly .. it's the Internet. What are you trying to say, you didn't want 'her' to see how you drive? Florida is pretty flat from what I remember.

Your link is a PR statement. I can assume, you filled your tires to over maximum air pressure, and you stated you used 2 gauges to determine the mileage, the built in display and a scan-gauge. Let's see someone drain the tank, add 2 gallons of fuel, and drive til the engine STOPS, and record mileage. Everyone on this site will tell you that built in mileage indicators always vary from doing the math. They give a good indication of what you might be getting.

That's all that's listed. Since we might not even be talking about identical vehicles, I have the '05 hybrid too, but a AWD, and can assume you have just the FWD. Regardless, the longer you can nurse it up to and under 30 MPH, the longer you use batteries and no gas, period. You'll get better highway mileage, due to the 4 cylinder and CVT.

Considering I get 28 and a stock 6 cyl. might get 19 MPG, I get almost a 50% increase in mileage. Just about what Ford first claimed when they introduced the vehicle. But people that buy these think, they will end up with the 32+ MPG, and they get upset when it doesn't occur. You on the other hand lead them to believe they can beat it, by writing that you have and don't back it up. More power to you, You've accomplished something no one else has, just like the guy that gets 100 MPG from his new carburetor. Please post your link to how you actually do do it. I can stand to learn and benefit from it. There is always someone that beats the average, it's called a bell curve. The vast majority will fall in the average.

It's the same thing as Prius owners upset that the window sticker says 50+ MPG and they get 38-, until Toyoda corrected and explained where they got the numbers.

To the man considering the hybrid, go to site's devoted specifically to hybrids and read and ask questions there. There are more reasons for buying one that just mileage, a green feeling and technology. You also get additional free and louder engine noise, you'll get use to it. I'll stress one more time, you want to think you'll get an X-plan price. Make sure your dealer is going to do that for you, They're all selling them for sticker price.

To suv-guy I once saw a UFO on TV myself.

Look Critic

I never said everyone could get the mileage I do. One thing I try to do is teach people on these forums to improve their mileage. Chanel 25 (ABC) News just did a story on me to tell the public there is a way to spend less at the gas pump. It's called Hypermiling and you may want to consider the things we've learned. An AWD '05 FEH came in second at the '07 Hybridfest MPG Challenge with over 46mpg. Third place went to Debbie Katz with the vehicle she let me drive at 48.5mpg. It was all over the News and shown on the Good Morning America program. You have no idea what your talking about as far as gauges and the technology we have today. There is a gauge called the Scangauge II that plugs in above your brake pedal to the OBDII connections you most likely have never heard of. I suggest you research information about this gauge unless you want to continue supporting Big Oil at the gas pump. There are group buys on many forums that offer the gauge that list for $169 for a $149 price shipped to you that includes Tax and Shipping. Learn more about the gauge at http://scangauge.com/ and you can also purchase it in the next group buy at http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=87710 if you hurry.

You can google the Hybridfest MPG Challenge and find many websites that can back-up my claim if you want. If you want to get serious about getting better gas mileage, read some post or articles I've been ask to write or have been interviewed in. You don't have to own a hybrid to learn how to Hypermile and save gas and money. One site of many I post on is http://www.cleanmpg.com/ The owner of that site Wayne Gerdes ask me to write an article called "Hypermiling The Ford Escape Hybrid" which you can access from the main page, or go directly to it at this link:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350

Soon I'll be driving my new '09 FWD FEH and hope to take advantage of all the new improvements over the '05 through '08. Yes, I had to pay MSRP, but I'm hoping I'll get a tax break next year. Many people have said they can't wait to see my MPG numbers in the new '09, and I can't wait either.

GaryG

Edited by GaryG

Fine, BUT don't consider I don't know of certain things, PAL. I work for the company and know a few more things than you just asssumed I did. I'll not purchase any aftermarket bullcrap, either.

)(%$@&*)^ this $hit, post the direct link of the articles you wrote.

and I'm pickled tink that you get the mileage you do.

The picture of the Scangauge in the article I wrote is the old larger Scangauge that was reprogrammed to work with hybrids back in November of '05. The new SGII is much smaller and gives you hundreds of different gauges. In addition, it is a scan tool which reads and resets trouble codes when you get those warning lights on the instrument panel.

When I purchased my '05 FEH, I paid $1,800 extra for the Nav Sys which reads the state of charge (SoC) of the HV battery and shows an energy screen among other things. From the Nav Sys package SoC and energy screen, I leaned most of my driving techniques. Ford raised the price of the Nav Sys the next year to $2,600, so many people excluded that option.

In December of '05, I called and talked to the inventor of the Scangauge and found he (Ron Delong) had reprogrammed the gauge to work with hybrids in EV mode. Since I was one of the first to purchase that Scangauge and post my finding, many thousands have been sold and lead to the redesign of the new SGII. I've talk to Ron many times since that time and many of us from the Hypermiler community have become friends. I begged Ron to program a way to read HV battery SoC in the FEH/MMH so owners would not have to go without knowing the SoC of their HV battery. Ron would just say he had to stick with a generic program for all vehicles. The fact was, you could add gauges to the SGII, but you needed PID codes to read all the different modules in a vehicle. No one was able to find the special Ford PID codes, let alone how to program the SGII to make the SoC gauge.

Well, a electrical engineer sent me a private message asking me to talk to Ron at the '07 Hybridfest (Ron had a booth and held classes on the SGII). The poster's handle was Desertdog at Hybridcars.com and he changed his name to CarlD after joining Greenhybrid.com and CleanMPG.com In the private message he originally sent me, Carl spelled out the PID and information that Ron needed to program SoC. In fact, Carl had a source that would give him all the Ford PID codes. Ron went bananas when I showed him Carl's private message with this information. I got Carl and Ron together and ask if they would post how to program SoC on the SGII and if Ron would also post this information on his website. In the last six months, people all over the world are buying SGII's and programming almost any gauges they want on almost every vehicle made after 1996 when the US law required a Scan Tool connection on cars and trucks build in the US. Most all manufactures provide that connect today.

The fact is, the SGII has much better detailed gauges than even the stock Nav Sys SoC gauge. The SGII gives you exactly the percentage of charge of the HV battery and many other things. People that have bought a SGII will never be without one anymore. I bought three and have two on my FEH dash now. Hypermilers in Japan have posted pictures of over five SGII gauges on their dash. My '09 will have at least two SGII gauges on the dash the first day it gets here.

You don't know what your missing there Critic!

GaryG

whatever ... nice driving technique link article.

[/quote

Keep up the good work Gary....the world needs more folks using less gas and less naysayers......I certainly appreciate the pricing info from all of the postings....this is consistent with the dealer I am working with.....I will be curious to see how long it takes to get mine in......hopefully before September......

Thanks again ICE, I'm getting down to placing an order on a '09 FWD Limited Escape Hybrid. My understanding is the Fast turn Order 8 (FTO 8) can include the Navigation System, but at an additional cost of code 60N which is $2395. This would add on the the $30,635 base Limited Escape Hybrid plus $695 shipping to give a MSRP of $33,725, correct? That leaves tax and tag which will bring the vehicle to around $36,000 bar no other price additions/reductions correct? The dealers in my area want MSRP with no dealer fees, any recommendations to get a better price in these hard times?

GaryG

I ordered my Escape Limited V6 4WD yesterday Gary,let me know when yours comes in. I need mine by the middle of Sept.

So reading the 09 order guide, is the only way you can get the Reverse Sensing System to order the

Limited Luxury Package (62S)?

I don't see the Reverse Sensing System offered separately, and the only way to get it is to order the Limit Luxury Package available as a option on the Limited and standard on the Limited Hybrid Escape.

Topgun, I'll post any information I come across, and certainly will let everyone here know when I get my unit. You should get your Limited AWD V6 sooner than a Hybrid Limited I would think.

The two Forums I'm a member of and keep current news updates on the '09 is Hybridcars.com at this link:

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-f2.html and this site here now. The link ICE provided for the ordering guide caused me to join Blue Oval. I owe it to ICE and members of Blue Oval to return the favor by posting updates and my opinions given my experiences. I've owned tons Fords all my life including an original LA built '67 GT 500 like the look alike one in the movie "Gone In Sixty Seconds".

Love my '05 FWD FEH and can't wait for the new '09.

GaryG

I don't see the Reverse Sensing System offered separately, and the only way to get it is to order the Limit Luxury Package available as a option on the Limited and standard on the Limited Hybrid Escape.

Topgun, I'll post any information I come across, and certainly will let everyone here know when I get my unit. You should get your Limited AWD V6 sooner than a Hybrid Limited I would think.

The two Forums I'm a member of and keep current news updates on the '09 is Hybridcars.com at this link:

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-f2.html and this site here now. The link ICE provided for the ordering guide caused me to join Blue Oval. I owe it to ICE and members of Blue Oval to return the favor by posting updates and my opinions given my experiences. I've owned tons Fords all my life including an original LA built '67 GT 500 like the look alike one in the movie "Gone In Sixty Seconds".

GaryG

Got it. So you're thinking that the Luxury Package is STANDARD on the 09' Limited Hybrid Escape? Just making sure, because I have one on order already and don't think I ordered the Luxury Package.

WSG71

GaryG

Gary I'll let you know when I get a VIN

This is great information. Thank you for tracking it down. Any chance you could ask/obtain the same info for the Hybrid Limited, 4x2? It is listed in the ordering guide as an available configuration and I don't think I need AWD here in KY for the little/infrequent snow we get on our roads.

To the guy who asked for the price of the 2009 Hybrid Limited 4x2; the X-Plan price is $29,380.

We ordered our 2009 Escape Hybrid 4x2 today. It will arrive in approx. Sept-08. The pricing is just as listed in my original post; no surprises the numbers were right on the money! By ordering now we lock in the current price and if the price drops or a new incentive plan becomes available the price will be reduced. Also we can make changes to the order up until about 2-wks before the truck is built.

P.S. If you are looking for a cool Ford dealer try Doherty Ford in Forest Grove, Oregon; these guys are awesome! They still believe in making deals on handshakes with little or no deposit on Hybrid orders. They will sell Hybrids on the X-Plan unlike almost every other dealer in the Portland area.

Edited by Dan_R

To the guy who asked for the price of the 2009 Hybrid Limited 4x2; the X-Plan price is $29,380.

We ordered our 2009 Escape Hybrid 4x2 today. It will arrive in approx. Sept-08. The pricing is just as listed in my original post; no surprises the numbers were right on the money! By ordering now we lock in the current price and if the price drops or a new incentive plan becomes available the price will be reduced. Also we can make changes to the order up until about 2-wks before the truck is built.

P.S. If you are looking for a cool Ford dealer try Doherty Ford in Forest Grove, Oregon; these guys are awesome! They still believe in making deals on handshakes with little or no deposit on Hybrid orders. They will sell Hybrids on the X-Plan unlike almost every other dealer in the Portland area.

Thanks for the information Dan. That is exactly what I was looking for. Will let you all know if my dealer here in KY will work with the X-plan.

Patrick

Order Update:

We receive the following update from the helpful salesman that ordered our 09 Escape Hybrid:

"I contacted my Ford Rep today and gave him the info on your order...Job 1 is 06/23 so it is possible that we could see it late July or August, Ford has not set schedule dates for any 09 Escape's yet."

It is very interesting that they are revising their guesstimated arrival date to July/Aug (from Sept) after talking the regional Ford rep. Only time will tell…

Order Update:

We receive the following update from the helpful salesman that ordered our 09 Escape Hybrid:

"I contacted my Ford Rep today and gave him the info on your order...Job 1 is 06/23 so it is possible that we could see it late July or August, Ford has not set schedule dates for any 09 Escape's yet."

It is very interesting that they are revising their guesstimated arrival date to July/Aug (from Sept) after talking the regional Ford rep. Only time will tell…

Dan scheduling starts on May 15 for 09 builds

Order Update:

The dealer I use in KY (Tri-County Buckner) told me that he had the ordering guide but was not sure he could take orders yet. Said he won't know specifics until he meets with his Ford Regional Rep next week. I went ahead and quoted out the data that I was looking for out of the guide and let him know I had heard of other dealers taking orders via conversations on Ford forums I was a part of and asked him to let me know when he was ready take an order. I will keep you informed how it goes.

The dealer I use in KY (Tri-County Buckner) told me that he had the ordering guide but was not sure he could take orders yet. Said he won't know specifics until he meets with his Ford Regional Rep next week. I went ahead and quoted out the data that I was looking for out of the guide and let him know I had heard of other dealers taking orders via conversations on Ford forums I was a part of and asked him to let me know when he was ready take an order. I will keep you informed how it goes.

Are people getting different answers in different regions about whether or not orders can be place for the '09s? I went to my dealer (Huntington in MI) on the 17th and looked at the order guides. Then I placed my order the next day.

Are people getting different answers in different regions about whether or not orders can be place for the '09s? I went to my dealer (Huntington in MI) on the 17th and looked at the order guides. Then I placed my order the next day.

Yes, I live in Atlanta and have contacted 3 dealers about ordering a 2009 FEH and each dealer has a different story. The largest of the dealers said they will get an allotment between 15-20 2009's, however, their early allotment is only 2. Another dealer does not even have an early allotment (at least yet) and the third is "working on it". These dealers are initially asking for $2k over MSRP stating that the FEH's are hard to get and demand a premium. I don't plan on paying a dime over MSRP so I am trying to play the dealers off each other to see which one will come down. I've tried the x-plan route with all of them and the standard answer is that they honor the x-plan but probably could not on the hybrid because of it being difficult to get.

I'll shop around in the Atlanta area through May but if I cannot find a good deal by then I may have to start shopping out of state.

By ordering now we lock in the current price ...

Are you sure? I thought x-plan prices aren't locked. You have to pay what ever the x-plan price is printed on the invoice for your particular vehicle when it comes in.

Yes, I live in Atlanta and have contacted 3 dealers about ordering a 2009 FEH and each dealer has a different story. The largest of the dealers said they will get an allotment between 15-20 2009's, however, their early allotment is only 2. Another dealer does not even have an early allotment (at least yet) and the third is "working on it". These dealers are initially asking for $2k over MSRP stating that the FEH's are hard to get and demand a premium. I don't plan on paying a dime over MSRP so I am trying to play the dealers off each other to see which one will come down. I've tried the x-plan route with all of them and the standard answer is that they honor the x-plan but probably could not on the hybrid because of it being difficult to get.

I'll shop around in the Atlanta area through May but if I cannot find a good deal by then I may have to start shopping out of state.

I didn't realize that there were issues like that. I think some dealers have incorrect information or are trying to provide incorrect information. As for X-Plan, I ordered mine with it and will be paying less than the retail and that is including taxes, etc. If you are getting different information about prices or X-plan I think you should find a different dealer. I know it's a little out of your area but the guy that I worked with at my dealer was great to work with.