Ford Escape reliability

mkaresh

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

We don't have as large a sample of Escape ownes as we do of CR-V or RAV4 owners, and would like to fix this. More participants are needed for all model years.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the last day of the April survey, and it looks like we're going to be just two responses short of a full result for the 2008. Not a situation I care for.

Looking forward to August, I really want to get rid of the asterisk that'll attend the May result and include additional model years. A few additional participants could make a big difference.

Vehicle reliability research

• 4 weeks later...

The latest results were recently posted. The 2006 and 2008 Escape seem to have repair rates near the average. The sample sizes were marginal, though, so these results were asterisked.

I'd like to get rid of those asterisks and include additional model years in future updates.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ended up with results for the 2005, 2006, and 2008. The first two were asterisked for small sample sizes, and the 2005's posted repair rate is so low it probably isn't accurate. The other two years are about average.

I'd like to get rid of those asterisks and include additional model years. Just need more participants...

The full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The only thing about this group is that it does not separate out the hybrid from non-hybrid.

I can do this, if it seems necessary. Powertrain info is collected. The main argument against it is that the sample size is small. If I had a sufficient sample of each, I'd report results separately.

I can do this, if it seems necessary. Powertrain info is collected. The main argument against it is that the sample size is small. If I had a sufficient sample of each, I'd report results separately.

That would be good. My idea was to sign up the Escapes separately and then combine if you don't have enough of a sample size. I wonder if others like me were reticent to sign up because there wasn't a separate category.

Thanks for addressing my concern.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The latest Car Reliability Survey results were recently posted. The reported number of repair trips per 100 cars per year for the Ford Escape:

2008: 50, about average

2006: 41, better than average

2005: 26, better than average

2003: 65, about average

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. The sample sizes for all but the 2008 were small, even very small, so additional participants would certainly be helpful.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The one for the Escape:

Ford Escape reliability comparisons

Edited by mkaresh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Key West and the Key West Taxi Company has around 25 Escape Hybrid Taxis in their fleet and plan to have the entire fleet in Escape Hybrids in the next 2 years or before..They said they have no problems with them what so ever.

100% of the driving in Key West is stop and go..The top speed there is around 25 MPH if your lucky..So the Hybrid Escape makes the perfect vechile.

Edited by MIAMI-DADE

• 1 month later...

We have updated results for the Escape to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 16, better than average, but small sample size

2008: 63, about average

2007: 15, better than average, but very small sample size; actual problem rate probably higher but still better than average

2006: 39, better than average, small sample size

2005: 41, better than average

2003: 52, better than average, very small sample size

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We have updated results for the Escape to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 31, better than average

2008: 73, about average

2007: 12, better than average, but very small sample size; actual problem rate probably higher but still better than average

2006: 23, better than average, small sample size

2005: 37, better than average

2003: 62, better than average, small sample size

2002: 177, worse than average, but very small sample size

2001: a single response short of the minimum, so no result

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We have updated results for the Escape to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 18, better than average

2008: 84, about average

2007: 11, better than average

2006: 15, better than average

2005: 51, better than average

2003: 45, better than average

2002: 155, worse than average

2001: 148, about average

Small sample sizes for all but the 2005, 2008, and 2009.

We've also introduced, two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the 2008 Escape, the percentage with no repairs is about 49, and the percentage of lemons is about 3.

A big thanks, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

• 2 months later...

We have updated results for the Escape to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 40, about average

2008: 95, worse than average

2007: 12, better than average

2006: 13, better than average

2005: 69, about average

2003: 41, better than average

2002: 82, about average

2001: 158, worse than average

Small sample sizes for all but the 2005, 2006, 2008, and 2009.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the 2008 Escape, the percentage with no repairs is about 44, and the percentage of lemons is about 3.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

• 3 months later...

We have updated results for the Escape, Mariner, and Tribute to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 38, about average

2008: 73, about average

2007: 10, better than average

2006: 6, better than average

2005: 71, about average

2003: 69, about average

2002: 64, better than average

2001: 124, about average

Small sample sizes for the 2001-2003 and 2007.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of Escape, the percentage with no repairs is about 44 for the 2008 and 82 for the 2009, and the percentage of lemons is less than one for both.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

• 2 months later...

We have updated results for the Escape, Mariner, and Tribute to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010.

Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010: 38, about average

2009: 40, about average

2008: 64, about average

2007: 37, better than average

2006: 15, better than average

2005: 88, about average

2003: 100, about average

2002: 55, better than average

2001: 69, about average and much better than earlier results; probably not accurate

Small sample sizes for the 2001-2003 and 2007.

In the case of Escape, the percentage with no repairs is about 57 for the 2008 and 75 for the 2009, and the percentage of lemons is about 5 for the 2007 and than one for the 2008.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help: