2009 Escape Info

jasonj80

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd. No Ford press material on that thing.

No surprise that bumping the power on the Escape gets better fuel economy. Also I'll be curious to see how the 2.5 does in terms of NVH. And, BTW, folks, that's a new (to Ford NA, at least) 4-cylinder appearing in the Escape.

Edited by RichardJensen

Odd. No Ford press material on that thing.

No surprise that bumping the power on the Escape gets better fuel economy. Also I'll be curious to see how the 2.5 does in terms of NVH. And, BTW, folks, that's a new (to Ford NA, at least) 4-cylinder appearing in the Escape.

It looks like CNN blew the press launch. They were supposed to release it tomorrow, I think. The key phrase is "...the automaker said Tuesday." It's only Monday.

I wonder how the 4-cylinder Escape will stack against the CR-V. The CR-V has proven that you don't need a V6 to be competitive, just a peppy 4-cylinder. I will be very interested in other improvements made as well.

It looks like CNN blew the press launch. They were supposed to release it tomorrow, I think. The key phrase is "...the automaker said Tuesday." It's only Monday.

I wonder how the 4-cylinder Escape will stack against the CR-V. The CR-V has proven that you don't need a V6 to be competitive, just a peppy 4-cylinder. I will be very interested in other improvements made as well.

Yep article got pulled...

guess this means that the PIP 3L isnt dead either, but have to wonder if the Fusion will get it

Edited by silvrsvt

The V6 Escape needs a 3-4 MPG jump in both city and highway figures. There is no reason why a 3.0 V6 small SUV should be getting 18MPG in the city.

They'll just keep fixing until it's on the level it should've been at in the first place.

Probably in its last year it'll be at that point, or not. They really did a bad job on it.

In comparison, Honda had no need to fix their CR-V, which sells by itself at retail.

They'll just keep fixing until it's on the level it should've been at in the first place.

Probably in its last year it'll be at that point, or not. They really did a bad job on it.

In comparison, Honda had no need to fix their CR-V, which sells by itself at retail.

I will vouch for NOT being a fan of the Escape....however...it blows my mind how the ( IMO ) substandard Escape has outsold just about EVERYONES predictions even with archaic drivetrains/ transmissions....I wonder if some of the sales are a reflection of the popularity of the "Halo" hybrid?...I for one can't explain the Escapes popularity!!!!

My mom owns a cr-v and I've driven it a few times. I don't know how it sells at all. Its uncomfortable, slow, handles like poo, I personally think its hideous (subjective, I know.. ). I've no direct experience with the escape, but based on that alone the I think I'd rather have the escape.

And although it is no consolation, Ford could have the best small SUV out there, and it wouldn't sell like the CR-V had this last year. Honda has a reputation that Ford does not and no amount of anything would fix that. The CR-V also wasn't selling at retail towards the end of the year. Honda's incentives (and, importantly, dealer cash) are up considerably in the last several months.

The Escape's deficiencies are primarily noted as its brakes and drivetrains. Well, we know the drivetrains are all new. I would venture to say the brakes are updated as well. The steering had mixed reviews, but everything else seems relatively positive.

The 2008 CR-V is rated at 20/27. The 2008 Escape 4-cyl is rated at 20/26. The 2008 Rav4 is 21/27. The new Ford 4-cylinder brings the Escape into the same power band as the CR-V and Rav4. I assume it will be far better in the NVH department than the CR-V's 4-banger.

The 3.0 V6 is not the Rav4's rocket engine but, with the new 6-speed, will motivate, certainly. The gas mileage will likely be 19/25 or so in FWD, amazingly similar to the Rav's numbers.

So, all that leaves is the styling, which is a matter of taste and has certainly been at least well received if not an overwhelming success.

I certainly don't apologize for Ford's initial screw up with this Escape overhaul, but don't let your dislike of Ford cloud *your* vision of their improvements either, please.

So Ford is making substantial improvements to the Escape and people here still complain that Ford isn't doing enough. People won't be satisfied until Ford offers the Edge at the same price as the Escape with 10MPG better fuel economy. The Escape is one of Ford's bestselling products because they refined it in all the ways that matter to the customer and CUT THE PRICE! It looks attractive and features one of Ford's most modern interiors. Now they are adding new drive trains while maintaining price...what's so bad about this from a company that is making quality, safety, and profitability its priority?

Edited by BORG

Is it okay for Nimoy to say Shatner's lines? I thought that was weird.

And, BTW, James "You're no god to us, mister" Kirk = best captain.

Okay, I'm taking my beanie off now.

I just hijacked a thread out of the blue! ;)

Yes, but he said them in STIII so that's acceptable!

I'm more annoyed by the construction site which should be in space, but apparently they have an excuse for that! Ahh well, can't have everything! They are spending the entire budget of the last 10 movies on this one film....so it's going to be a big one!

Anyway, back to the Escape, progress is progress and if there is one thing made clear here it's that Ford is finally committed to a deep and sustainable overhaul of its entire product range. All of these changes means no orphaned and rotting products.

Edited by BORG

I thought it was basically confirmed that the Fusion will get the D35.

It'd better at least get the D35; the promise of a freshened interior, Sync, and new powertrains have momentarily swayed me from replacing my 06 Fusion (eventually...) with a Malibu, but if all the new powertrain gets me is nine horsepower and two miles per gallon in the city on an already dated V6 I'd have a lot of trouble pulling the trigger. That EcoBoost I4 was looking pretty fantastic, hint hint.

I just wonder how badly they are gonna jack it up...and I dont see Karl Urban as Bones

Jennifer Mooreson is playing Kurt's mom!

I am very open on this front, I'm not a huge TOS fan (TNG generation here!), but I'm very intrigued by the possibilities. And I've never seen Star Trek really treated as something other than something just for fans. If it brings it mass appeal, I'm all for it.

It'd better at least get the D35; the promise of a freshened interior, Sync, and new powertrains have momentarily swayed me from replacing my 06 Fusion (eventually...) with a Malibu, but if all the new powertrain gets me is nine horsepower and two miles per gallon in the city on an already dated V6 I'd have a lot of trouble pulling the trigger. That EcoBoost I4 was looking pretty fantastic, hint hint.

I'm concerned by the styling of the Fusion, but the interior is a stunning improvement. I prefer the current gen rear, much tighter! :)

I am very open on this front, I'm not a huge TOS fan (TNG generation here!), but I'm very intrigued by the possibilities. And I've never seen Star Trek really treated as something other than something just for fans. If it brings it mass appeal, I'm all for it.

I only really got into TNG when it came to Star Trek...never cared for the TOS or any of the other ST shows that have come and gone since then...