My Freestyle gas mileage

ford-boy

My wife and I took a trip from Long Island to Ft. Pierce FL and I was a little dissappointed with about 24 mpg average for the trip, both directions. I have made the same trip in a '91 Tbird and a '01 Taurus, base engine. The Tbird was simply spectacular at 28 - 30 w/ac on and never dropping below 80 mph. The Tauraus was OK at 26 mpg, but I thought the Freestyle would have been better than 23-24. I am wondering if the Tbird was aero slick and the boxy Freestyle body creates a significant drag. I kept very good data and had alot of it. In all cases, the data was for the entire highway portion of the trip and did not include any in town driving. In all cases, we took 2 days to complete the trip and stopped overnite in Fayetteville NC. Anyone have similar results??

i recently did a long trip and got 25mpg with the car full of luggage and kids. i think a big thing to think about it literally the size of the vehicle. it's got approximately the interior volume of most big suv's, a little less than a minivan. your figure is pretty good for a vehicle like that. epa estimates become more inaccurate, i think, the bigger the car gets. of course, milage could always be better, but i was very surprised after my first fill-up. i've never gotten less than 19.5/all city, and never better than the 25/90% highway averages.

and although the car is mostly pretty slow, i was very excited about the 60 to 80 passing acceleration. i had lots of rural two lane and had a lot of fun blasting past the slow moving 18 wheelers!

Edited by tim kakouris

My wife averages about 23.6 or so on the in-car calculation. I've done 25 mpg on an interstate road trip. We're pleased with the mileage based on the size of the vehicle.

I think the weight of the car has alot to do with mileage. On a one-hour rural road trip, I got about 1.5 mpg better going 70 than I did going 55. At 55, the CVT would rev the engine on hills. At 70, it doesn't. Keeping your momentum up really seems to help mileage.