Towing with F250

drtkrw

I have an 06 F250 with 6.0L Diesel. It also have the 10k GVW package. I am purchasing an 18k 5th wheel trailer that I want to tow with this truck. Is this not possible?

Is there anything I need to do to the truck to get it to tow this trailer. I am only going to be towing 2 weekends per month about 600 miles round trip each time.

Thanks.

I have an 06 F250 with 6.0L Diesel. It also have the 10k GVW package. I am purchasing an 18k 5th wheel trailer that I want to tow with this truck. Is this not possible?

Is there anything I need to do to the truck to get it to tow this trailer. I am only going to be towing 2 weekends per month about 600 miles round trip each time.

Thanks.

With that heavy of a trailer, it sounds to me that you will be over weight. Try this website it will allow you to plug in the various weights of your truck/camper and show you a safe weight that you can pull.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-fw.shtml

I just bought a 08 Ford F-350 DRW and using that site to do my calculations, it said that (with 20% margin for safety) that I can pull 12,640lbs. Yes, I can probably pull more at the expense of safety, wearing out brakes, transmissions, etc...

Hope this helps,

USAFRET

According the the 06 Ford specs 18k is over weight but people often tow over weight. Like said it can do it but stopping is what you need to concerned with. The ford spec says with an auto trans fifth wheel towing reg cab 4x4 max 15800, suber cab 4x4 max 15700, and crew cab 4x4 max 15500.

According the the 06 Ford specs 18k is over weight but people often tow over weight. Like said it can do it but stopping is what you need to concerned with. The ford spec says with an auto trans fifth wheel towing reg cab 4x4 max 15800, suber cab 4x4 max 15700, and crew cab 4x4 max 15500.

Looks like I have the same truck as you. You would tow an 18k trailer with yours? You had another post where you mentioned an 08 #2 Build (what is that)?

1ZVFT82H665129890.pdf

1ZVHT82H165129904.pdf

1ZVHT82H365137616.pdf

1ZVHT82H365137650.pdf

1ZVHT82H865137711.pdf

post-11790-1128388523_thumb.jpg

I would not tow 18K trailer with my truck. The reason I probably can handle it but the simple fact is the liability. Meaning you getting in an accident towing over loaded you will get nailed for every ticket possable. To me its not worth it specially taking the chance to lose my license which i have CDL. Once thats gone its gone for ever. The fact is I want to have the truck perform at it peak all of time I dont want over loading it affect its future when i own it.

2008 Job #2 is the second have the model year. This mean that there is up grades or options that have been added to the list. For explain the Job #2 in the 08 you can get a rear veiw camera, chrome package and few others. I believe every ford vehicle has this. I also may have changes functionally like specs on the vehicle itself or even motor.

Just bite the bullet and invest in a bigger truck like an F450. Don't be such a cheap skate.. :shades:

Thanks for the ecnouragment big spender, not all of us have big dollars like you do. Maybe you should loan me the money to get mine. I really want one bad. Do you want to trade my F250 for your F450? :shades:

Can it pull it? - yes

Should you pull it? - No, IMHO.

I see people pull 5ers that size and larger with 3/4 ton trucks because they can, but for the safety of your family and others, you should at least have a 1 ton dually.

Maybe you should consider a smaller trailer, something within the safe towing capibilites of your truck. I wanted a larger trailer, but I ended up getting what my F-250 could tow within its specs.

Good Luck