Recommendations For Tires on My 07 Expedition EB 4x4

wildcat_1

All

I live on Colorado and so we do see a fair amount of snow in the winter. Rather than having to just buy a snow set (which if it comes down to it I'm happy to do) I am looking for a good regular driver with good snow and ice traction. Here are a few I pulled up and was wondering if everyone could let me know their thoughts or recommendations on this. I'm running the standard 17's right now.

Thanks

WC

Nitto Terra Grappler AT

Yokohama Geolander HT-s

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Bridgestone Dueler AT 693

Michelin LTX/M+S

Goodyear Fortera Tripletread

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's

I took a look over at Tirerack surveys for your size (265-70/17). The Goodyear Fortera was the best rated for highway all-season truck tires.

Check out the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Look good while providing ultimate traction. They stick like glue to pavement whether wet or dry. Off road they perform better than any other all terrain tire I have used before.

• 1 month later...
All

I live on Colorado and so we do see a fair amount of snow in the winter. Rather than having to just buy a snow set (which if it comes down to it I'm happy to do) I am looking for a good regular driver with good snow and ice traction. Here are a few I pulled up and was wondering if everyone could let me know their thoughts or recommendations on this. I'm running the standard 17's right now.

Thanks

WC

Nitto Terra Grappler AT

Yokohama Geolander HT-s

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Bridgestone Dueler AT 693

Michelin LTX/M+S

Goodyear Fortera Tripletread

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's

Go to the TireRack.com and look at what people have to say about these tires.

Personally, I think you will find that the Pirelli Scorpian ATRs have the best Deep snow, Light snow, and Ice traction with the quietest ride and the smoothest ride. When it came time to get tires for my F250 I looked long and hard and that is what I got.

Bridge Duelers are OK, but with 15 million miles reported I am not that impressed. Pretty poor on ice.

BF Goodrich are a little better with 60 million miles reported. OK on ice.

Goodyears look pretty good.

Mich are are good to OK.

Yokos are OK

I don't see the Nitos. But mine were really loud!

Pirelli's have your best ratings and best averaged ratings from what I can see.

Quite frankly the only tires that come close to the ATRs as I recall were the Goodyear and the Revos.

Peace and BLessings

Go to the TireRack.com and look at what people have to say about these tires.

Personally, I think you will find that the Pirelli Scorpian ATRs have the best Deep snow, Light snow, and Ice traction with the quietest ride and the smoothest ride. When it came time to get tires for my F250 I looked long and hard and that is what I got.

Bridge Duelers are OK, but with 15 million miles reported I am not that impressed. Pretty poor on ice.

BF Goodrich are a little better with 60 million miles reported. OK on ice.

Goodyears look pretty good.

Mich are are good to OK.

Yokos are OK

I don't see the Nitos. But mine were really loud!

Pirelli's have your best ratings and best averaged ratings from what I can see.

Quite frankly the only tires that come close to the ATRs as I recall were the Goodyear and the Revos.

Peace and BLessings

tire rack doesnt carry Nitto Tires. I have had the Nitto Terra Grapplers for about 16K miles and have loved them. They look good and are very reasonably priced. I paid around $480 for 4 265/70/17 tires balanced and rotated including tax. I will probably get around 40K miles out of them, they seem to be wearing well. I dont know of any other well performing all terrain tire that you can purchase and have installed for that. They are pretty quiet for an all terrain tire as long as you keep them balanced. They stick like glue to wet/dry pavement, do well in light mud (not a mud terrain) and handle dry gravel rodes very well, and can handle sand, I havent got stuck driving on the beaches with 2wd. Cannot comment on ice or snow as we dont have that here in houston.

tire rack doesnt carry Nitto Tires. I have had the Nitto Terra Grapplers for about 16K miles and have loved them. They look good and are very reasonably priced. I paid around $480 for 4 265/70/17 tires balanced and rotated including tax. I will probably get around 40K miles out of them, they seem to be wearing well. I dont know of any other well performing all terrain tire that you can purchase and have installed for that. They are pretty quiet for an all terrain tire as long as you keep them balanced. They stick like glue to wet/dry pavement, do well in light mud (not a mud terrain) and handle dry gravel rodes very well, and can handle sand, I havent got stuck driving on the beaches with 2wd. Cannot comment on ice or snow as we dont have that here in houston.

Glad to hear your Nitos are so good. In Co. up in Breckenridge, no I am not a rich socialite :), they were great in the snow/snowstorm steep grades. But man, where they loud and heavy. But they were not 70s. They were a little bigger.

He is in Co. Now, not all of Co. is hilly and not all gets much snow. Don't know if he said where in Co. or what? But the ATRs are some of the very best snow and ice tires that I have ever driven on and with eleventy billion miles reported over at TireRack people are very happy with them. And cheaper than the Revos and Duelers. But still more expensive than your Nitos. And when I say how good they are that includes dry and rain and noise. I wont drive a loud tire and it has got to grip in the rain well also. Here in MN we get all that. They are not a very aggressive looking tread, but they sure work well.

It is amazing how a tire tread and makeup can spell doom, provide OK traction, or grip the road really well in snow, ice, rain.

Peace and Blessings

• 1 year later...

I agree with macuttak1 the PIRELLIS Scorpian STR are the best riding tire & good value based on pricing. I have the 255 70/18's with I need to replace 3 of them. I've checked wth the Ford Dealer & Tire Warehosue. T_W had some they took off a Expy, that the former owner didn't think the raised white lettering was "white enough, and had some browning around the lettering.

They offered to sell them at 50.00 each. I might go ahead & get them less the balancing & mounting fee.

B)