Faulty Explorer Part?

While washing a friends '05 Mountaineer, I noticed this crack that formed in the window panel, of the liftgate. It runs from the bottom edge of the window, down to the Mercury logo, then around it to the bottom. Thinking this was just an isolated issue because of possible use or abuse, I kinda ignored it. Then saw another one, on a beige Explorer where it had the similar type of crack.

Found it a bit odd...then walking down another parking lot, I noticed the same thing on another Explorer, and another. Granted, my friend has hers in black, so it does't jump out at you, but on the white and beige vehicles, it sticks out. It seems to only plague the '02-'05 Explorer/Mount.

So just for the hell of it, I did a web search, and seems that there's really an issue on that. Not one addressed by the company unless your dealer wants to deal with it, but there's quite some complaints out there of it.

Anyone seen the same thing, or could check their Explorer/Mount. ?

My Dad's '02 XLT had that very same problem. The plastic broke after about a year. And I did notice the same problem on an '05 just last week. So I'd have to agree I think this issue is widespread, especially in northern climates with frigid winters. The plastic just doesn't seem to hold up to the elements.

Had the piece replaced under warranty on my 03 Explorer couple years ago. The replacement cracked last winter.

Does anyone know how to access the adjustment wheel for the small drums that serve as emergency brakes on the Explorer?

Edited by bulltrout

Wow, so this is actually more common than I had thought. How long does it take them to replace the piece, it sounds as it's quite labor extensive.

Mine was not replaced due to a faulty part. It was done by my stupidity, and a tow strap. :D

Anyway, it took about three days for my dealer to order the part, paint the plastic, swap the wiper motor to the new piece, and reinstall.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I was able to find the TSB number for it, and my friend is taking care of it in the next few weeks.

I'm guessing thats why they went with a different design for the new '06 Explorer... Ya know, at the end of the day, if it ain't broke, don't fix it....There was no need for them to introduce a plastic part for that window... I mean, only GM does Plastics well (case in point, Saturn!) ;)

I gave her the paper with the number, something like 0044? or something along that line. Do a search for it at NHTSA.gov and it'll come out for the '04 Explorer. Do a screen search for (CNTRL F) liftgate, and it'll pop out.

Yeah, there is a TSB for this. I believe that you can replace only the plastic portion now - not with the glass. Still, sucks!

only GM does Plastics well (case in point, Saturn!)

When the Saturn was introduced with all its plastic panels and cladding, this started its rounds:

Question: What's the difference between a Saturn and a Jehovah's Witness?

Answer: You can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness. :shades:

When the Saturn was introduced with all its plastic panels and cladding, this started its rounds:

My first car was a Saturn. The doors closed fine. Of course, you never knew which interior panel was going to fall off when you did it though.

LOL

Although I would caution you, one of my tenants is a Jehovah's Witness, and according to their religion if someone slams the door on their face, or does anything "rude" to them, they receive an extra "Jewel" in their crown, when they go to heaven. So I tell her "Damn, do you think ya'll can keep your head from falling over with all the jewels your crown will be carrying?".

I did tell her how come her group never comes to knock on my door, since I live a few blocks from her house. She tells me that she WARNED them not to knock on my door, that I wasn't interested, nor "convertable". Really according to the religion, she tells me that about 400K of the blessed and most dedicated, will be allowed to enter their heaven, when the end of the world comes. So I asked, "Hmm and how many members do you have around the world?" She tells me MILLIONS, so I tell her "Hmm, there's a shitload of ticked off people then if you will only accept 400K...so if you already met your quota, why do you push it?". I told her I'm all for taxing all religious organizations, that would lower the countries debt quite a bit and cut the fat out. I knew I lost her after that one :)

Ironically it has got to be the most boring of religions (mormons would probably come in 2nd)... You can only have sex missionary style, for procreation, nothing oral, never celebrate birthdays or any holidays, I mean...really? We are all suffering enough in this world, why make it worse? And if any of your family members are NOT in the cult, or leave it, you are NOT to ever speak to them again... I mean, she lost me with the Sexual aspect of it. LOL

So when I hear drama going on in her life, I just give her this look of "Hm, well you got yourself in that predicament".

And speaking of, for those into "Santeria" religious...of sacrificing animals and such. I notice all their rituals are done to promote money, and money and money...Yet, when does it work? Cause I always see how broke they are? :stirpot:

Sorry, had to vent...